• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Differences between Different Ethnic Groups?

xkatz

So a bit of an unusual question, but I understand that India is a very ethnically diverse country. My friend for instance, is telugu. I was wondering if there are big differences between what she does and whom(?) she reveres as a Hindu vs. what someone from a different ethnicity (eg Punjabi) does and who they revere? More specifically, are there any sort of religious differences specific to telugu Hindus? I hope this makes sense. Thanks.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
There are all kind of differences. In Gods and Goddesses, in traditions, in language, in food, in appearance (racial); yet we are one. The least common denominator is 'dharma'.

Kashmiri, Rajasthani, Marathi, Kerala, Tamil, Uttar Pradesh, Bengali, Assamese

ajalali1.jpg
241344489_f08af8f3d6.jpg
banner_home.jpg
images
05sl5.jpg
agriculture_women_big.jpg
8047489544_0f527e7cd8.jpg
An%20Assamese%20Girl%20in%20Traditional%20Look.jpg

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
So a bit of an unusual question, but I understand that India is a very ethnically diverse country. My friend for instance, is telugu. I was wondering if there are big differences between what she does and whom(?) she reveres as a Hindu vs. what someone from a different ethnicity (eg Punjabi) does and who they revere? More specifically, are there any sort of religious differences specific to telugu Hindus? I hope this makes sense. Thanks.

Think Europe, and you'll get a sense of it. Telegus are generally particularly fond of Venkateshwara. In western communities where Telegu societies have had enough people to build temples, it'll likely be for Venkateswara.

Generally speaking, similarities are related to geography, so the dress, food, etc will be a lot more similar between Andhra and Tamil Nadu, than between Andhra and Bengal or Punjab.