• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

difference between atonement and salvation?

PearlSeeker

What has He sacrificed? I believe, nothing. He was the sacrifice for our sins. It is not a debt. It is a gift from God. The gift is for those who need their sins removed.

Sacrifice is to someone. Sacrifices were mede to gods for example. For a favor or to make up for disobedience (sins).

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
can someone explain to me the difference between the 2?
Thanks.

Atonement is more "I am sin. God healed me so now I am with him"
Salvation is "I am sin. God took me away from it so I am with him."

One is healed or reconciled and the other, instead of reconciling the wound, he "takes it on himself" so the wound doesn't need to be healed, it's pardoned completely.

Atonement heals and reconciles one to god (assuming in this life)
Salvation pardons the sin but does not heal (hence ongoing repentance) until afterlife

If that makes sense. I can't remember which one JW believe. They believe opposite christianity, so they can probably tell you the difference.

PearlSeeker

Salvation pardons the sin but does not heal (hence ongoing repentance) until afterlife
That's not the original meaning of the word (soteria).

"Salvation in its Biblical understanding comprises redemption, deliverance, restoration, healing, and - arguably most aptly - wholeness." (Ronald Westerbeek: How to Understand Salvation? A Great Diversity in Biblical Language)

"What is sought here is salvation in the original sense of the word, referring not only to one's eternal fate, but also to healing in all areas of life, including the restoration of spiritual, psychological, and physical health."
(Christian mysticism - Wikipedia)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
That's not the original meaning of the word (soteria).

"Salvation in its Biblical understanding comprises redemption, deliverance, restoration, healing, and - arguably most aptly - wholeness." (Ronald Westerbeek: How to Understand Salvation? A Great Diversity in Biblical Language)

"What is sought here is salvation in the original sense of the word, referring not only to one's eternal fate, but also to healing in all areas of life, including the restoration of spiritual, psychological, and physical health."
(Christian mysticism - Wikipedia)

I read it. My quote says these things happen in the afterlife. You're not healed and wholed until you die and be with god.

Once you are saved, you receive the benefit of salvation. If not, jesus would not need to be resurrected.

PearlSeeker

I read it. My quote says these things happen in the afterlife. You're not healed and wholed until you die and be with god.

Once you are saved, you receive the benefit of salvation. If not, jesus would not need to be resurrected.
Original meaning is different (see above).

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I wanted to stress out salvation is not just something happening in the afterlife. It's also here and now.

I'd say here and now it's based on faith not actual salvation. If one knows they are saved, they don't need faith. Since no one knows until they die, they may have faith that they are saved but they don't know (therefore not saved yet) until they die.

I tried to find websites on atonement and sacrifice and their differences. Google is pretty biased about it, though.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Are you saying there is no transformation, healing, spiritual growth, sanctification, guidance of the Spirit in this life? I'd say it's actual.

I'd say that salvation is a future thing and atonement is a present thing.

No christian knows if they are saved once they believe. They have faith. The only way you know you're saved is when one is resurrected (like christ). Salvation is an end result. It would only make sense in this life if christ was never sacrificed and resurrected.

Here's the definition of atonement (didn't researched it) "the reconciliation of God and humankind through Jesus Christ." I assume that's why people say they are "saved" is that they have faith god reconciled them to himself through/by his son.

No christian knows they are saved. Faith isn't knowledge. They won't know until they are resurrected and all of that.

Salvation: deliverance from sin and its consequences, believed by Christians to be brought about by faith in Christ.

I think you're talking about atonement. I know not all christians believe the same about judgement day, but that's when you know you're saved or not. When you're judged.

-

A christian has faith he is reconciled to god. He hopes that in this reconciliation, he will be with god (saved from sin). One can have knowledge one has been atoned by god; it's a present day experience. However, they don't know they will be saved regardless of their experience until they die.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I believe 'atonement' is only by those who have been sinned against, otherwise unjust. God has no authority.
Salvation is liberation from superstition, prejudices, otherwise none.