• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Diet

Jeremiah Ames

Ok

doctor says I need to diet, vegetarian specifically

i started a little over a week ago

i seem to be missing something, because I’m craving something to eat all the time

something substantial

plus it’s hard to find good recipes, they all look the same

and sadly, none have meat in them ;)

any advice?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Bananas can take the edge of the craving

And there are loads of vegi recipes, even on these RF pages there are some really good ideas (i know I've posted a couple)

MikeF

Premium Member
Ok

i seem to be missing something, because I’m craving something to eat all the time

something substantial

any advice?

Like any addiction, there will be withdrawal. You have to take the pain until your body acclimates to the lower calorie intake. Which it will if you can get there.

Best of luck. :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Ok

something substantial

any advice?

Besan - (chick pea flour) is heavy. Make it into a batter, like pancake batter, and then cook it like a pancake. Even if it's relatively thin, it'll be filling. You can also bake it like a cake, and use it as a substitute Tofu. I use it to make gluten free pizza crust.

Tofu - fairly heavy

Breads - a lot of unleavened bread is heavy

Potato is a heavy vegetable, and most root veggies are.

Best wishes. I'm still on a diet as well, only a couple more months before goal is met.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Ok

something substantial

any advice?

I tend to eat salads with Morning Star fake meat mixed in.
Also the occasional Beyond Meat burger.

Most grocery stores have a vegetarian section with a good selection of plant based meat substitutes.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Like any addiction, there will be withdrawal. You have to take the pain until your body acclimates to the lower calorie intake. Which it will if you can get there.

Best of luck. :)

Yes, I'm pretty sure I get a nice endorphin rush when I eat my favorite foods. When I think about what to eat, I'm really thinking about what foods will give me the best endorphin rush. :D

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Veg recipies are all varied. Perhaps more search would be useful.

Being hungry all the time sounds like a weight loss diet. I know people who are vegetarians who are not that hungry.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Ok

something substantial

any advice?

For substantial, I go for pizza. Cheese (with any other veggie toppings I like) works for me.

As for other recipes, listen to @Vinayaka. Vin helped me to realize that spices are my life. Ramakrishna even had a food flavor desire. He often asked Sarada Devi what was for dinner.

Cravings come from desire for flavor. Train your taste bud to learn that meat isn't the end all/be all.

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
Ok

something substantial

any advice?
I have no experience with ever cooking meat but I enjoy eating smoked tofu fried in olive oil with some asafoetida powder and added into my warm meal.
And I enjoy cooking parsnip and carrot (I never eat potatoe). Parsnips are cooked or steamed for about the same time as broccoli so relatively short. If you want to make it more filling you can mix in a full spoon of pure peanut butter.

Ripe banana's is filling, can also be eaten as a smoothie with some green vegetables and sunflower seeds and different nuts or seeds grinded into the smoothie as well. I will eat that as a breakfast or as a desert because I don't normally eat any dairy.

JoshuaTree

Flowers are red?
Ok

something substantial

any advice?

You need protein to curb cravings, I start the day with a 7.5 oz can of sockeye salmon and a cup of short grain brown rice, snack on cheese and walnuts for lunch, and veggies for dinner.

Jeremiah Ames

I have no experience with ever cooking meat but I enjoy eating smoked tofu fried in olive oil with some asafoetida powder and added into my warm meal.
And I enjoy cooking parsnip and carrot (I never eat potatoe). Parsnips are cooked or steamed for about the same time as broccoli so relatively short. If you want to make it more filling you can mix in a full spoon of pure peanut butter.

Ripe banana's is filling, can also be eaten as a smoothie with some green vegetables and sunflower seeds and different nuts or seeds grinded into the smoothie as well. I will eat that as a breakfast or as a desert because I don't normally eat any dairy.

Great ideas

thanks a lot for the help

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
If it's meat you're craving specifically, I'm a big fan of portobello steaks. Seasoned with a Monterey seasoning or with Yoshida teriyaki.

But a lot of the time your body is craving complex proteins. A Cobb salad with avocado, egg, croutons, tomatoes and lettuce gives you a whole lot of complex nutrients. Just make sure if you buy it doesn't have chicken or bacon.

Jeremiah Ames

You need protein to curb cravings, I start the day with a 7.5 oz can of sockeye salmon and a cup of short grain brown rice, snack on cheese and walnuts for lunch, and veggies for dinner.

that might explain my serious cravings today, since breakfast was oatmeal

Jeremiah Ames

If it's meat you're craving specifically, I'm a big fan of portobello steaks. Seasoned with a Monterey seasoning or with Yoshida teriyaki.

But a lot of the time your body is craving complex proteins. A Cobb salad with avocado, egg, croutons, tomatoes and lettuce gives you a whole lot of complex nutrients. Just make sure if you buy it doesn't have chicken or bacon.

oh, nice, i like that cobb salad idea

thank you very much

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Ok

something substantial

any advice?
For the purposes of this thread (!) I'm a vegetarian. If I can help, please ask.
Craving is not the same as hunger.
If you are hungry all the time, you are ingesting less calories than you are expending. Bulk gets rid of hunger, whatever the diet. But like any diet you need to ensure you get a nutritionally balanced diet; especially as it sounds like a big change for you. Aside from knowing your personal health circumstances, you're making a big change to your diet. Personally in theory I'd say change things over gradually, especially since you might need to be checking out new things to try. (I'm going veganish, but that's been from vegetarian - and I still have "naughty" things...)
Craving is a psychological thing. We all have intermittent cravings. Currently I'm craving a Lowtide Brewery Brune-DMC beer, but it's not a nutritional need :D

Last edited:

Jeremiah Ames

For the purposes of this thread (!) I'm a vegetarian. If I can help, please ask.
Craving is not the same as hunger.
If you are hungry all the time, you are ingesting less calories than you are expending. Bulk gets rid of that, whatever the diet.
Craving is a psychological thing. We all have intermittent cravings. Currently I'm craving a Lowtide Brewery Brune-DMC beer, but it's not a nutritional need :D

you’ll never guess what happened since I started the vegetarian diet

after a few days I was hating it, so started doing some reading online

i decided to start a Keto diet

so that meant throwing away a bunch of stuff I bought for vegetarian and buying new

but so far I like it

i was given 2 months to get my numbers down, so if this one doesn’t work, I will have to change again

also, I understand the craving thing now

since I started keto, craving is nearly gone and hunger is non existent

i only managed to get 1200 calories in yesterday even though I’m supposed to get 1500

thanks a bunch for your message