• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

diet debate

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Milk products. Probably the single biggest reason that vegans need B12 supplementation is they don't consume milk products. It's only animal products that B12 is available from... unless you are an ungulant, wherein you get B12 from the fermentation of vegetation in your rumen.

It's all (not just B12) debated by various nutritionists all the time. One study shows this, another shows that. Red wine is good, then it's bad. This oil is good oil, and then it's bad. Good cholesterol, bad cholesterol, don't eat this, don't eat that. Eat more kale. No don't.

Frankly, I'm quite sick of it, and am more like what Wirey said ... stop concerning yourself much with it, all that stress over nutrition is worse than poor nutrition.

We don't really even think about nutrition much here, although in mu cardio-rehab I have to go see a nutritionist this Friday as part of the program. Maybe I'll find out some more new-fangled stuff I can ignore.

It reminds me of the 40s when cigarettes were good for you.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
What I was saying is that milk products are an excellent source of B12, so if you consume a decent amount of dairy, not to mention the supplementation in breads and other grains, it could account for normal levels. Stress will diminish B12 levels, so if one lives a relatively stress-free life, plus eats decently, on the whole, vitamins and minerals shouldn't be a problem.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
What I was saying is that milk products are an excellent source of B12, so if you consume a decent amount of dairy,

I don't.

editted ... To see what I mean about the debate, go down to the third section here ... http://some-like-it-raw.com/2013/03/06/nutrition-b12-debate/ The people with B12 deficiency are roughly equal ... those who eat meat, and those who don't ... so clearly, as the article points out, there is something else going on.
And I personally don't really care what it is, just so long as my test results keep coming back fine.

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Dieting is just a bunch of nonsense unless you have some sort of health problem, imo. Eat whatever you please but keep it in balance and don't overeat. Be active and exercise. Even more importantly, be happy and have a positive outlook on life. Stress and negativity are the biggest killers.

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Get drunk, have a burger, afterwards smoke a cigar, and in 100 years see what difference it makes. Go be happy. I almost died despite being a health nut. Can you imagine going into the ground and saying "At least I denied myself things that made me happy!"?

But stay away from McDonald's. That place is poison!

^Best advice in this thread. :yes:

Epigram

I'm a whole food omnivore at the moment. Considering juicing, vegan, vegetarian, pescitarian etc. What, how And why should I eat.

Mostly Fat. Minimize protein less then say 20% of your diet and try to completely eliminate carbs entirely unless you need them immediately (half marathon+ worth of energy)

Something ketogenic would work great, I am not a fan of the fad diets like atkins etc but they can work for some because of their implementation. There are lots keto websites but reddit has a great community if you want to explore it more.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Get drunk, have a burger, afterwards smoke a cigar, and in 100 years see what difference it makes. Go be happy. I almost died despite being a health nut. Can you imagine going into the ground and saying "At least I denied myself things that made me happy!"?

But stay away from McDonald's. That place is poison!
There was a cook on Colbert awhile ago who mentioned the same thing. Dig in he told us! But not too much. It's comfort food, so enjoy. Just don't engorge.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Mostly Fat. Minimize protein less then say 20% of your diet and try to completely eliminate carbs entirely unless you need them immediately (half marathon+ worth of energy)

Something ketogenic would work great, I am not a fan of the fad diets like atkins etc but they can work for some because of their implementation. There are lots keto websites but reddit has a great community if you want to explore it more.
The thing with carbs is it matters first what kind of carbs, and second how much. A slice or two of real multi grain bread, even if your not going to run a marathon, offers the body a lot of nutrition and helps to keep you feeling full.
Sugars, another carb, are not created equally. Fruit is a healthy, nutritious, and sugary food, but the natural sugars of fruit are much easier for the body to handle the sugar from a box of candy. But you shouldn't deny yourself from having a piece of candy every once in awhile. That's like staying home in an attempt to not be in an accident or die.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'll bet you have and I'll bet you're wrong.
Probably. Everything about the human digestive system is designed to digest meat. Now, what I have no doubts on is the massive amounts we consume today without exerting the physical energy other meat-heavy cultures do being unhealthy.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Lol, okay.

This was meant as an invitation to present the evidence so we can see what it says.

Probably. Everything about the human digestive system is designed to digest meat. Now, what I have no doubts on is the massive amounts we consume today without exerting the physical energy other meat-heavy cultures do being unhealthy.

We have evolved to eat meat but not massive amounts of meat. Meat was something we ate on occasion several times throughout the year before we learned to farm animals and domesticate them.

esmith

Veteran Member
The best way to stay healthy is to eat food in moderation, and stay active. The worst thing to do is go from one fad diet to another, sit around on your fat ***, and expect diet alone will keep you healthy.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Americans could probably learn a lot if they looked at the German diet. Bread, cheese, meat, and loads of beer. The way some American health information sounds, you'd expect the Germans to drop over dead en mass from so much meat and carbs, and all that cheese. And then there are the Swedish people, who eat more chocolate than any other nationality (Germans eat a lot of it too), and they are doing just fine.
One of the more obvious things that they are doing though that we don't is cook. Which I suspect may be one of the main culprits in America's eating-related health problems.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Always include something from the bacon food group.
Be it smoke or brine cured, either will suffice.
1317747365_bacon_frying.gif

Just look at that bubbling fat! Oh, great joy awaits!

Chakra

Premium Member
This was meant as an invitation to present the evidence so we can see what it says.

You already know the evidence that I will present. I am curious to see your evidence which proves that a meat diet is healthier than a vegetarian/vegan diet.

Last edited:

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
You already know the evidence that I will present. I am curious to see your evidence which proves that a meat diet is healthier than a vegetarian/vegan diet.

I.don't. I've just been.considering it for the ethical reasons.

Thanks for all the great replies so far everyone. Replies coming soon.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Kinda busy so I just googled it. This was pretty quick.

7 Evidence-Based Health Reasons to Eat Meat

Should Humans Eat Meat? [Excerpt] - Scientific American

And this last one is mostly an opinion piece but it is from a vegetarian source so I found it interesting.

Why You Should Eat Meat: A Vegetarian's Perspective | Punchnels

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Always include something from the bacon food group.
Be it smoke or brine cured, either will suffice.

Just look at that bubbling fat! Oh, great joy awaits!

God bless the bacon. Seriously...don't you think that pork is the proof of God's existence?
what about this Sicilian pork sausage?
6268186117_7ef71192b2_o.jpg

that's the real recipe for a fit body. In fact I always eat it and I am thin

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I tried a lot of diets. Caused more issues than anything else. Impossible to stick to.

What works better than diets are lifestyle changes, one step at a time.