• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

diet debate

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
I'm a whole food omnivore at the moment. Considering juicing, vegan, vegetarian, pescitarian etc. What, how And why should I eat.

Sees

Dragonslayer
I recommend being a whole foods vegan as much as possible with some fish now and then, some regular meat and dairy more rarely. I think it's the healthiest way, tuned to each person's body and circumstances. Know thy self, but regardless of term or title, keep away from meat and dairy as being daily requirements of diet.

SkylarHunter

I recommend being a whole foods vegan as much as possible with some fish now and then, some regular meat and dairy more rarely. I think it's the healthiest way, tuned to each person's body and circumstances. Know thy self, but regardless of term or title, keep away from meat and dairy as being daily requirements of diet.

This is exactly what I had in mind.

Stay away from any processed foods, think of sugary drinks as poison and don't smoke and don't consume alcohol in excess.

Having a healthy lifestyle doesn't mean you need to go on crazy diets or deprive yourself from everything that tastes good. Make sure to keep a good balance and and enjoy your food.

I bought a juicer a while ago and it was one of the best investments I've ever done in my life. I'm consuming a lot more fruits and veggies and I love it. :D

Avi1001

reform Jew humanist liberal feminist entrepreneur
I'm a whole food omnivore at the moment. Considering juicing, vegan, vegetarian, pescitarian etc. What, how And why should I eat.

I would like to see you on a vegan diet. Try this one:

Table 1: Sample Menus Showing How Easy It Is To Meet Protein Needs
Protein (grams)
Breakfast: 1 cup Oatmeal 6
1 cup Soy Milk 7
1 medium Bagel 10
Lunch: 2 slices Whole Wheat Bread 7
1 cup Vegetarian Baked Beans 12
Dinner: 5 oz firm Tofu 12
1 cup cooked Broccoli 4
1 cup cooked Brown Rice 5
2 Tbsp Almonds 4
Snack: 2 Tbsp Peanut Butter 8
6 Crackers 2
TOTAL 77 grams
Protein Recommendation for Male Vegan-63 grams

If you eat this junk....it leaves more meat for me. :D

Let us know how you do on it.

Last edited:

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Personally, as someone who has lost a ton of weight and sometimes struggles to keep it off, I recommend the following:

Limiting meat intake, but not omitting it fully. Keep poultry and fish at the top, while limiting red meat.

Increase your fruit and veggie (especially raw) intake.

Increase wheat and whole grain, while limiting white. This primarily includes bread, rice, and pasta.

Drink mostly water, 100% juice, and unsweetened tea. Limit excess caffeine (soda, coffee, etc.).

Avoid fast food.

Limit sweets (this one is very hard for me).

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Michael Pollan I believe recommended starting with eating whatever your grandmother would have recognized as food.

Beyond that, everyone's body is of course different but lots of dark colored vegetables and fruit in season are two typical recommendations.

Another guideline is to carefully read any labels for processed food. Recently I saw something that appeared healthy where the 2nd, 3rd and 4th ingredient after water was sugar, sugar and again sugar in three different and obfuscated forms: "evaporated cane juice", "corn syrup" and as I remember maple syrup.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The best things to do are avoid excessive sugars, fats, and processed foods, which requires reading labels. Also eat good portions. Things like cheese, milk, meat, and even a sugary treat can be a part of healthy diet, but you don't want to over do it. Which really you don't want to over do with a lot of fruits and vegetables either.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

You mean for health? Health reasons is you should eat lean meat in moderation and whole grains when eating grains. Plenty of vegetables and a moderate amount of fruit.

Regardless of what some vegans have argued it is still healthier to eat meat than not to eat meat. But it is healthier to be a vegan eating right and to eat nothing but Mcdonalds.

Wirey

Fartist
Get drunk, have a burger, afterwards smoke a cigar, and in 100 years see what difference it makes. Go be happy. I almost died despite being a health nut. Can you imagine going into the ground and saying "At least I denied myself things that made me happy!"?

But stay away from McDonald's. That place is poison!

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum

I'm taking a nutrition class at the moment, together with my wife (who's a chef). And... I wish there was a way of simply explain it all, but a variety of food is important, and whole food is a good thing. If you can grow your own herbs and greens it would help. Vegetables should be eaten as close as possible to being picked. Vegetables in the store have lost some nutritional value (some vitamins start to break down immediately). Preferably, don't juice your fruit because you want the soluble/insoluble fibers as unchanged as possible. If you go on a vegan/vegetarian diet, you have to really pay attention of getting certain nutrients that you normally only get from animals. I don't remember right now, but there's one B vitamin (12 maybe? have to check) that you only can get from meat.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Get drunk, have a burger, afterwards smoke a cigar, and in 100 years see what difference it makes. Go be happy. I almost died despite being a health nut. Can you imagine going into the ground and saying "At least I denied myself things that made me happy!"?
Agree.

Taking the health thing too far, and you'll end up occupying all your time just with that (unless that's what you like to do, it will stress you out and increase the cortisol and make it harder to lose weight and be healthy... i.e. stressing about being healthy is unhealthy in itself).

You have to have some fun in life.

But stay away from McDonald's. That place is poison!
Most fast food in general. Many of them buy the same products, from McDonald's production.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
For some odd reason my B12 tests keep coming back okay, despite being a vegetarian of 40 years. Maybe Boss is secretly injecting me while I sleep.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I've seen evidence to the contrary.

B12 deficiency. Vegetarians run about 50 times higher risk of cobalamin deficiency. Most of us get what we need if cobalamin from meat (animals can store it in concentration), but originally, it's produce by bacteria (in our gut, colon, I think). I think yeast and perhaps some fermented dishes can compensate for the lack of meat sources though.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
For some odd reason my B12 tests keep coming back okay, despite being a vegetarian of 40 years. Maybe Boss is secretly injecting me while I sleep.

Milk products. Probably the single biggest reason that vegans need B12 supplementation is they don't consume milk products. It's only animal products that B12 is available from... unless you are an ungulant, wherein you get B12 from the fermentation of vegetation in your rumen.

Sees

Dragonslayer
B12 deficiency. Vegetarians run about 50 times higher risk of cobalamin deficiency. Most of us get what we need if cobalamin from meat (animals can store it in concentration), but originally, it's produce by bacteria (in our gut, colon, I think). I think yeast and perhaps some fermented dishes can compensate for the lack of meat sources though.

And some drinks, some mushrooms, veggies from the garden, etc.

Sprinkling some nutritional yeast on chili or pasta is a delicious way to get more than needed.

Sadly the same thing that makes meat more likely to pass on disease is what makes it pass on B12...you can't cleanse the contamination and bacteria with efficiency. Again, I still eat fish, beef, pork, chicken - just not often. Most people in western, industrialized nations are eating meat with all sorts of unnatural "goodies" inside, while subconsciously thinking they are eating what their ancestors ate.