• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did you learn anything new about yourself due to Covid?

Deidre

My grandmother whom I've spoken about on here who passed away a few years ago, believed that tough times reveal who you really are. Not good times, because she said ''they don't challenge you.''

I started a diary on here as a cathartic process to let out all I've learned about myself during Covid, the good bad and indifferent.

So, please share, what did you learn about yourself during these past couple of months?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
My grandmother whom I've spoken about on here who passed away a few years ago, believed that tough times reveal who you really are. Not good times, because she said ''they don't challenge you.''

I started a diary on here as a cathartic process to let out all I've learned about myself during Covid, the good bad and indifferent.

So, please share, what did you learn about yourself during these past couple of months?

I learned, ah . . . confirmed that people are chicken littles with a short memory panicking like every other time a pandemic shows up.

The virus jumps from host to host, and does its thing and eventually jumps to another host, and life and death goes on . . .

go with the flow the river knows . . .

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

I'm not sure I've had it tough enough to really learn much about myself, but I completely agree with the sentiment.
Still, overall my approach to life and my ability to compartmentalise personal issues and panic from decisions I make in the larger sense has held up.
We were offering help to friends and family even when our own situation was uncertain, simply because their situation was certain (as in, they'd been very clearly negatively impacted in their ability to pay basic bills, whilst impacts on us were more around uncertainty in my job - but not my wifes, cancelled holidays, having to juggle home schooling, etc).

I've always believed the advantage of my somewhat low key personality is that when pressure is on I ramp up to 'normal' rather than 'super anxious' and that was mostly born to be true.

There are a lot of people who have had a far tougher time than me during this, and for some it might be the first real life/death pressure they've had to deal with, and I'd be fascinated in what people have learned about themselves. Oldies like me may have a better handle on how we deal with things (both positively and negatively) just due to previous experiences.

Good thread!!

Deidre

I learned, ah . . . confirmed that people are chicken littles with a short memory panicking like every other time a pandemic shows up.

The virus jumps from host to host, and does its thing and eventually jumps to another host, and life and death goes on . . .

go with the flow the river knows . . .
haha I like this. So, what did you learn about yourself?

Deidre

I'm not sure I've had it tough enough to really learn much about myself, but I completely agree with the sentiment.
Still, overall my approach to life and my ability to compartmentalise personal issues and panic from decisions I make in the larger sense has held up.
We were offering help to friends and family even when our own situation was uncertain, simply because their situation was certain (as in, they'd been very clearly negatively impacted in their ability to pay basic bills, whilst impacts on us were more around uncertainty in my job - but not my wifes, cancelled holidays, having to juggle home schooling, etc).

I've always believed the advantage of my somewhat low key personality is that when pressure is on I ramp up to 'normal' rather than 'super anxious' and that was mostly born to be true.

There are a lot of people who have had a far tougher time than me during this, and for some it might be the first real life/death pressure they've had to deal with, and I'd be fascinated in what people have learned about themselves. Oldies like me may have a better handle on how we deal with things (both positively and negatively) just due to previous experiences.

Good thread!!
In it all, this still shows ...you thought about it. We have had proper time (funny, there's always been 24 hours in a day, but with the stay at home orders, it seemed like we had ''more'' time) to reflect, even if it's on what is going on with those around us, and all over the world. My husband and I have been financially good, and my parents as well. So, I know what you're saying about not having it bad at all.

You would make a good Christian, you know that, right? :wink:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
In it all, this still shows ...you thought about it.

My brain whizzes around a lot. That's why I regularly fill it with 'unimportant' things (humour, games, beer...ahem...). Stopping my brain isn't really easy, but redirecting it is simplicity itself...lol

We have had proper time (funny, there's always been 24 hours in a day, but with the stay at home orders, it seemed like we had ''more'' time) to reflect, even if it's on what is going on with those around us, and all over the world. My husband and I have been financially good, and my parents as well. So, I know what you're saying about not having it bad at all.

I saved about 3 hours per day in travel time! Plus 2 games of basketball I play were cancelled, plus each of my girls had one game and one practice session cancelled.
It opens a LOT of time even though I was still working full time.
Plus I don't sleep much...

You would make a good Christian, you know that, right? :wink:

I've made that point to some Christians before, but there's this whole 'belief' part I struggle with...heh...

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I've learned I've not kept the promises, big or small, to myself. I keep dreaming about noble goals without implementing them. The reason I've learned this now, is that, I said I would implement a lot of these when I have time. But when I get time like now, I waste it. I waste in video games, in endless discussions on forums, and fail to act on knowledge I know as well.

I've learned about myself that I like to dream big, gain big wisdom, but fail to act.

I have to follow through and do everything I set out myself to do.

That is the last voice I've heard from God, years ago, was telling "do what you set yourself out to do". I've heard God says three things to me.

On the onset of madness, "You don't have the patience to serve me". When I use to not take care of hygiene and didn't dress properly (worse type of clothes), I heard God say "You hate fashion, I am fashion". And the third thing was "Do what you set yourself out to do".

I don't hear voices demons or God overall, but have had moments of them, but I'm not like the people who consistently hear voices.

Deidre

I've learned I've not kept the promises, big or small, to myself. I keep dreaming about noble goals without implementing them. The reason I've learned this now, is that, I said I would implement a lot of these when I have time. But when I get time like now, I waste it. I waste in video games, in endless discussions on forums, and fail to act on knowledge I know as well.

I've learned about myself that I like to dream big, gain big wisdom, but fail to act.

I have to follow through and do everything I set out myself to do.

That is the last voice I've heard from God, years ago, was telling "do what you set yourself out to do". I've heard God says three things to me.

On the onset of madness, "You don't have the patience to serve me". When I use to not take care of hygiene and didn't dress properly (worse type of clothes), I heard God say "You hate fashion, I am fashion". And the third thing was "Do what you set yourself out to do".

I don't hear voices demons or God overall, but have had moments of them, but I'm not like the people who consistently hear voices.
You need to learn that you are too hard on yourself. ;) It's a very common thing, you're not alone in those feelings. I have felt guilt over things that God has forgiven me for, or that really weren't problems at all, I just saw them as such. It can mean the difference between merely existing and really living life, when you stop faulting yourself for simply being human.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Would you be okay if I mentioned some second hand information?
My father in law discussed this very topic in terms of good and bad things he'd discovered through this. It's kinda a long story to give proper context, and it's not my personal story...

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I will note my calendar. lol

Did you find that you were more creative during these past few months? (painting, writing, etc)

Less creative, actually. Which is one reason I have had so much time to devote to RF in recent weeks. But even in good times, creativity is a 'come and go' thing. The muses are like summer breezes -- they never last forever, but always rise again. So I can't say with any certaintly whether or not the virus has contributed to my current slump. My guess is, probably not.

Deidre

Would you be okay if I mentioned some second hand information?
My father in law discussed this very topic in terms of good and bad things he'd discovered through this. It's kinda a long story to give proper context, and it's not my personal story...

Sure, we would like to read this story.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I've learned how little I've progressed. I thought I was doing somewhat OK at not getting too upset at various forms of idiocy but I realized how far I have to go.

I totally lose it when I see anti-mask people losing it in public and even shooting people. And I lose it when I see that people don't care if 50000 or 1000000 people die because they feel the economy is much more important than people's lives. Given my age, I feel they wish that I just go ahead and die.

Balancing that I've see so much positivity and rejoiced in it. So I've also seen that my ability to let the negative emotional wave express itself and pass holds up even in this situation.

And yes, I agree with @Deidre 's grandmother about tough times testing people.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I've learned how little I've progressed. I thought I was doing somewhat OK at not getting too upset at various forms of idiocy but I realized how far I have to go.

I totally lose it when I see anti-mask people losing it in public and even shooting people. And I lose it when I see that people don't care if 50000 or 1000000 people die because they feel the economy is much more important than people's lives. Given my age, I feel they wish that I just go ahead and die.

Balancing that I've see so much positivity and rejoiced in it. So I've also seen that my ability to let the negative emotional wave express itself and pass holds up even in this situation.

And yes, I agree with @Deidre 's grandmother about tough times testing people.

Don't conflate 'people' with 'all people' mate.
I don't want you going anywhere.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
haha I like this. So, what did you learn about yourself?

Not much new, but nonetheless I miss the social interaction that comes with self-distancing and closing of many places. I am well over 60, and will practice stay at home and social distancing for some time.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Learned that we can live with less and save. :)

Learned that fear is more contagious than the virus, locks thinking and is very controlling.

And politicians still use every crisis to benefit their agenda/