1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Did the writers of Genesis have outside help?

Discussion in 'Evolution Vs. Creationism' started by james dixon, Nov 29, 2017.

?
  1. yes

85.7%
  2. no

14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Gerry

Gerry Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +906
    Religion:
    Love and truth
    The stories in Genesis are very interesting stories.
    Do we know what caused the author to write them?
    Do we know what civilization was like at the time?
    Today, knowledge has expanded many multiples of what it was at that time. Our vocabulary has many times the number of words available than when Genesis was written.
    The posts here show that people are actively thinking, using our collective knowledge to arrive at ideas about what the Genesis stories tell us.
    It’s too easy to dismiss them as ancient ramblings when viewed through our present day brains, if we take them literally.
    Concepts we knew in grade school were alien to the people of the earth at that time. A spherical planet revolving around an enormous ball of burning hydrogen and helium. (What is hydrogen and helium?) Billions of years old. In a solar system with many other planets. In a galaxy with billions of stars and billions of solar systems and billions of planets in a universe with billions of galaxies. And it’s all billions of years old. (What is a billion?). Even if God came face to face with the author and said all those words, the author would not understand them.

There are pearls of wisdom in the stories, but taking them too literally will fry your brain.

2. siti

siti Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,884
    Perhaps, but chug means 'circle' and Isaiah was perfectly well aware that there was a much better word - dur - that he could have used to mean 'ball' or 'sphere' - see Isaiah 22:18.

3. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +19,201
    Religion:
    Atheist
    No, you are mistaken. That verse says that the Earth is flat, a circle so to speak. In fact an inscribed circle:

Genesis 1:1 (KJV)

The word for "ball" in Hebrew is Dur:

Strong's Hebrew: 1754. דּוּר (dur) -- a circle, ball

Dur is used elsewhere in Isaiah for a ball so the author knew and understood both words.

I don't know what that first link will not post correctly. It was supposed to be a link to Strong's and showed that Chugh is "circle. Oh well here is a quote from that page:

chuwg
    Pronunciation
    khüg חוּג (H2328)
    Dictionary Aids
    TWOT Reference: circle (1x), circuit (1x), compass (1x).
    Outline of Biblical Usage H2328; a circle:—circle, circuit, compass.

4. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +19,201
    Religion:
    Atheist

No that is the myth. We know how the Earth formed. No magic necessary.

5. Grandliseur

Grandliseur Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576
    Religion:
    Pragmatic Christian
    The Exodus happened around 1513 BCE or so. Thus Moses wrote the Pentateuch around that time, the 40 years in the desert of Arabia.
    If Moses had writings handed down from Abraham or not is not known, but is possible since he has the line of ancestors up through time. If we look at the timeline, Abraham actually met Shem, Noah's son, who came through the flood.

Here is a graph of their birth, death and overlaps in time:
    Chronology Adam-Jacob Graph-01.bmp

It is clear that God inspired and made sure that what is contained in Genesis is from him.

6. Skwim

Skwim Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +11,912
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Outside of what?

7. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +19,201
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Then why is there not one whit of evidence of the Exodus? Archaeologists concluded that it was a myth a long time ago. Roughly two million people wandering through the desert for 40 years would have left a mark. Why can't that mark be found?

8. Hockeycowboy

Hockeycowboy Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,990
    Religion:
    Christian
    Interesting. Thanks for the reference.:D

9. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Be your own guru

Ratings:
    +10,037
    Religion:
    Atheist, Advaita (Non-duality), Orthodox Hindu
    IMHO, Moses borrowed a lot from Zoroaster, even the story of the flood.

10. Kemosloby

Kemosloby Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,231
    Religion:
    Christian
    No, what you have is people who think they know how the Earth formed.

11. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +19,201
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Wrong again. I can test my ideas to see if they are right. All you have is a book of myths. If you can't think of a way of testing and confirming the Bible then your book of myths is no more valid than the Quran or the Vedas.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Kemosloby

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,231
    Religion:
    Christian
    Ok bigshot..form a planet.

The bible proves itself..what it says will happen happens. Even without archeological evidence you can see it. When it was just for Jews scripture predicted it would be preached to the whole world and it came to pass exactly as predicted.

13. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +19,201
    Religion:
    Atheist
    So you failed all of your science classes.

One does not need to form a planet to test an idea.

Can you tell me why you believe your book of myths? I can tell you why I accept reality.

14. Kemosloby

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,231
    Religion:
    Christian
    The bible proves itself..what it says will happen happens. Even without archeological evidence you can see it. When it was just for Jews scripture predicted it would be preached to the whole world and it came to pass exactly as predicted.

So tell me what test proves how a planet is formed.

15. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +19,201
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Sorry but it doesn't. At best you are reinterpreting it to match reality. It is filled with failed prophecies, failed science, bad morals and more.

Once again, why do you believe in the Bible?

I can help you to understand the sciences. I can probably also identify the errors that you are making with the Bible.

16. Kemosloby

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,231
    Religion:
    Christian
    Yes it does. I can see your mind is closed so there is no point in talking to you.

17. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +19,201
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Wrong again. It does not and you are the one with a closed mind. I offered to help you to see the errors of your ways. That is the sign of an open mind. You ran away because you can't support your claims. You should not make false claims against others. That is a breaking of the Ninth Commandment. I understand the Bible better than you do, I do not make the same errors that you do.

18. Kemosloby

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,231
    Religion:
    Christian
    No, that is a false claim against another (which is a violation of one of the ten commandments) You said I ran away because i can't support my claims. I can't support my claims to you a close minded person such as yourself who will not listen to them..so as I said and I believe most people can understand there is no point in talking to you.

But Nice to see you're trying to follow the commandments, Follow the gospel of Jesus when you do and take the log out of your own eye before trying to remove the splinter from mine.

19. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +19,201
    Religion:
    Atheist
    You did run away. I can quote your post where you said you were going to run away. That demonstrates that you cannot support your claims. By the way, even if you try I am willing to bet that you can't. And don't make false claims about me. That is not only breaking the Ninth Commandment it is against the rules of the forum. Once again, I can demonstrate that I understand the Bible better than you do. In general atheists understand the Bible better than Christians.

I only follow the reasonable Commandments. The false vanity ones I merely laugh at. And I probably follow the gospel of Jesus better than you do too. You really should not abuse the Bible when you have only demonstrated that you are incredibly ignorant of the Bible and of the sciences.

Once again, I can explain to you how science works. Are you willing to learn? You are being a hypocrite by relying on science and denying it at the same time. You should not be talking about "logs" when you have an entire forest in your eye.

20. Kemosloby

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,231
    Religion:
    Christian
    After mankind makes a planet I will be ready to learn. Until then I will believe God did it according to the scriptures. Not that planet making is anything I need to know, If i did I do not have so much faith in man to tell me how to make a planet.

Which are the "reasonable" commandments?