• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did the Church father's know the Gospel writers?

firedragon

Veteran Member
This has been the primary argument of the Christians to authenticate the Gospel,s and their respective authors.

Lets say that from the Gospels themselves none of the names are authenticated. No writer claims to be any of the authors attributed to the Gospels. Thus, the Christian response to this is that the Church fathers knew the authors.

Who are the church fathers who knew the authors? How do you know the names they mention are the people who wrote these specific Gospels? What are the writings that these associations are attributed to?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
This has been the primary argument of the Christians to authenticate the Gospel,s and their respective authors.

Lets say that from the Gospels themselves none of the names are authenticated. No writer claims to be any of the authors attributed to the Gospels. Thus, the Christian response to this is that the Church fathers knew the authors.

Who are the church fathers who knew the authors? How do you know the names they mention are the people who wrote these specific Gospels? What are the writings that these associations are attributed to?

Papias is one:

Papias refers by name to the books of Mark, Matthew, First Epistle of John and the Epistle of Peter. Fragment 6 from Eusebius� Ecclesiastical History book 3 ch.39 p.173.

It is said that Polycarp also mentioned the gospels.

As with all archaeological findings, time erodes evidence and pickings are slim.

There are many more references in the next generation.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

That depends on how one defines "church fathers" since that could include the Apostles and their appointees, which is the way I would take it.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

None of us really know, but there’s every possibility, I believe, that Muhammad, in confirming the truth of the Gospels in the Quran Sura 3:3 was referring to the Syriac Pe****ta version which was the current version at that time.

He hath revealed unto thee (Muhammad) the Scripture with truth, confirming that which was (revealed) before it, even as He revealed the Torah and the Gospel.

And Baha’u’llah also confirms the names of the authors of the Gospels.

The Four Gospels were written after Him [Christ]. John, Luke, Mark and Matthew - these four wrote after Christ what they remembered of His utterances.
(From a previously untranslated Tablet)

I would always trust completely the accuracy of the Word of God above what scholars or clergy say.

firedragon

Veteran Member
That depends on how one defines "church fathers" since that could include the Apostles and their appointees, which is the way I would take it.

Well, I would like to hear how you would define church fathers as well. Thats interesting.

firedragon

Veteran Member
None of us really know, but there’s every possibility, I believe, that Muhammad, in confirming the truth of the Gospels in the Quran Sura 3:3 was referring to the Syriac Pe****ta version which was the current version at that time.

He hath revealed unto thee (Muhammad) the Scripture with truth, confirming that which was (revealed) before it, even as He revealed the Torah and the Gospel.

And Baha’u’llah also confirms the names of the authors of the Gospels.

The Four Gospels were written after Him [Christ]. John, Luke, Mark and Matthew - these four wrote after Christ what they remembered of His utterances.
(From a previously untranslated Tablet)

I would always trust completely the accuracy of the Word of God above what scholars or clergy say.

Not relevant brother. Muhammed and Bahaullah are not relevant to this thread.

Hope you understand.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Papias is one:

Papias refers by name to the books of Mark, Matthew, First Epistle of John and the Epistle of Peter. Fragment 6 from Eusebius� Ecclesiastical History book 3 ch.39 p.173.

It is said that Polycarp also mentioned the gospels.

As with all archaeological findings, time erodes evidence and pickings are slim.

There are many more references in the next generation.

Could you please quote the exact thing that Eusebius says?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

Well, we don't actually know who wrote the gospels, but certainly some of the church fathers were alive at the same time. However, they only guessed who had written them, which is how the tradition of the authors being Matthew Mark Luke and John came into being.

What is perhaps more important is that some of the Church Fathers, such as Polycarp and Ignatius, were converted by the apostles. This is why it behooves Christians to read their writings, to get a fuller picture of what Christian teaching was in the beginning.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Polycarp, Ignatius, Clement I.

Polycarp lived during the latter part of the 1st century. Ignatius of Antioch is very vague in dating, and still late 1st century to 2nd century. So was clement, though clement is closer in time.

So your statement was not factual. Unless you believe Mark was written so late. If you believe Mark was written so late, that's fine. Or maybe you mean "they were toddlers when mark was living". Well, that may very well be.

Anyway, since you quoted Clement who is closest, where does clement quote Mark and exactly what does he say? Can you quote directly?

IndigoChild5559

Polycarp lived during the latter part of the 1st century. Ignatius of Antioch is very vague in dating, and still late 1st century to 2nd century. So was clement, though clement is closer in time.

Peter appointed Ignatius bishop of Antioch if you accept historical sources outside of the New Testament. Clement is mentioned in Philippians 4:3.

So your statement was not factual. Unless you believe Mark was written so late. If you believe Mark was written so late, that's fine. Or maybe you mean "they were toddlers when mark was living". Well, that may very well be.
Actually what I'm proposing is that Mark didn't write Mark at all, but some Gentile wrote Mark decades later. Not knowing the true author, it only became traditional in the church to attribute it to Mark.

Anyway, since you quoted Clement who is closest, where does clement quote Mark and exactly what does he say? Can you quote directly?
Why do you think that Clement needs to quote Mark?

firedragon

Veteran Member
Why do you think that Clement needs to quote Mark?

If not whats the point of quoting clement in a question regarding Mark? Thats a strange question you asked.

Peter appointed Ignatius bishop of Antioch if you accept historical sources outside of the New Testament. Clement is mentioned in Philippians 4:3.

But that's Phillipians. Not Mark. The question was on mark.

Actually what I'm proposing is that Mark didn't write Mark at all, but some Gentile wrote Mark decades later. Not knowing the true author, it only became traditional in the church to attribute it to Mark.

Of course. no one knows who wrote Mark. Thats a whole different topic altogether.

This one is about the church fathers and the Gospels as per the OP.

Hope you understand.

IndigoChild5559

If not whats the point of quoting clement in a question regarding Mark? Thats a strange question you asked.

But that's Phillipians. Not Mark. The question was on mark.

Of course. no one knows who wrote Mark. Thats a whole different topic altogether.

This one is about the church fathers and the Gospels as per the OP.

Hope you understand.
I'm not sure why you feel the need for the Apostolic Fathers to quote Mark.

The earliest that Mark could possibly have been written was after 70 CE, since it speaks of the destruction of the second Temple.

However, it is not quoted until in the second century by Papius, Irenaeus, and Clement of Alexandria.