• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Paul misquote scripture on purpose?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
The quote originated with the Septuagint, not with Christians.
You aren't reading me carefully enough. What I posted was this:

Except for the five books of the Torah, the Septuagint was written by Christians, not by the 70 elders. They were simply supporting their own doctrines when they changed the text.

You need to pay more attention to your Messiah, Jesus the Christ.
I need to pay attention to what I know is God's word. That's the Tanakh. The Christian scriptures contradict it, and fail to quote it justly. So why should I believe in your so-called Messiah?

Spartan

IndigoChild5559

Archeological evidence the Tanakh was fully translated into Greek before 150 BC:

The Septuagint, LXX: 10 Archeological proofs the Septuagint Tanakh was translated by Jews before 150 BC
First of all, like Ive told others on this forum, I don't read links that are used in lieu of a post. I suggest you summarize the points you want to make, and use the link as a citation.

Secondly, it is Christian scholars that argue the older age of the Septuagint. Why? Because they have a dog in the race. It is necessary for the Septuagint to be older in order to give validity to their many mistranslations.

But regardless of the age of translation, it is a TERRIBLE translation. I suggest you stick to the original Hebrew. The original language of a text is always superior. It is inevitable that even with good translators (and we dont have them here) that important stuff will be lost in any translation. Hence a translation of a translation is just foolish.

Wandering Monk

From what I understand, no one knows who wrote the Septuagint. All we have are legends.

What sources (not arguments mind you) do you have giving evidence that Christians wrote the Septuagint?

Last edited:

Spartan

First of all, like Ive told others on this forum, I don't read links that are used in lieu of a post. I suggest you summarize the points you want to make, and use the link as a citation.

That's too bad. The evidence against you in that article would take up at least 10 full pages of posts.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Paul abused Scripture by taking passages out of context and giving them meanings that were never intended!

To proof-text his doctrine, Paul lifted numerous Scripture passages out of their context and gave them meanings that were never intended. Some of these passages he gave a meaning that the context absolutely nullifies. The following is one classic example:

One of Paul’s unique and fundamental doctrines states that absolutely no one is righteous. To proof-text his doctrine Paul cuts and pastes together no less than 7 snippets of Scripture and presents them as one:

“There is none righteous, no, not one. There is none who seeks after God. They have all gone out of the way. They have together become unprofitable. There is none who does good, no, not one. Their throat is an open tomb; with their tongues they have practiced deceit. The poison of asps is under their lips; whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness. Their feet are swift to shed blood. Destruction and misery are in their ways; and the way of peace they have not known. There is no fear of God before their eyes.” Romans 3:10-18

Each of every one of these snippets Paul took out of context and gave a meaning that its author never intended. The first snippet is our example of how Paul gave a meaning to a passage that only a verse or two later the author says something that completely destroys what Paul said about it. It was taken from Psalm 14. David here begins by speaking specifically of “fools”, who say in their heart “there is no God”.
The fool has said in his heart, “There is no God.” They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none who does good. The Lord looks down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there are any who understand, who seek God. They have all turned aside, they have together become corrupt. There is none who does good, no, not one. Psalm 14:1-3

David is in no way referring to every human being with the term “the children of men”. He is speaking of the fools who say there is no God and is referring specifically to them as the children of men. It is among these that he says there is none righteous. We know this because he goes on to contrast these children of men with those he calls the generation of the righteous!
Have all the workers of iniquity no knowledge, who eat up MY people as they eat bread, and do not call on the Lord? There they are in great fear, for God is
with the generation of the righteous
. Psalm 14:4-5

Imagine that, ... “the generation of THE RIGHTEOUS”!! Paul didn’t tell us about this part of the Psalm! So much for his doctrine that no one is righteous.

Paul, IMO had a lot of guilt to deal with. I used to go about physically beating the followers of Jesus. His own guilt likely skewed his understanding of scripture. Paul became a church leader and had advice for the various churches. Doesn't really mean he was a messenger of God nor his letters to taken as divine revelation. I know they are in the Bible and traditionally taken as such but I doubt even Paul intended his letters to be taken as divine revelations from God.

Spartan

Those without the Spirit are not able to discern the spiritual truths (1 Corinthians 2:14) of the Apostle Paul.

Hawkins

Paul is Pharisee, his teacher represents a whole school of Pharisaic school of thought. Before his conversion, he's under the direct command of the Great Sanhedrin (to persecute Christians). He's knows better.

IndigoChild5559

From what I understand, no one knows who wrote the Septuagint. All we have are legends.

What sources (not arguments mind you) do you have giving evidence that Christians wrote the Septuagint?
1. No one quotes the portions of the Septuagint outside the Torah until Christians do.
2. The changes in the text from the Hebrew are those which support Christian dogma.

IndigoChild5559

That's too bad. The evidence against you in that article would take up at least 10 full pages of posts.
Then that sounds too exhaustive for a forum. It happens to me too. There's things I'd like to say, but it would be a book.

I suggest you pick the one single best point, and discuss that here with me. That wouldn't take 10 full pages. Just one. Less if you are succinct.

Let's remember, though, that the reason the forum exists is for us to talk, not for us to surf the web.

Hey New Paradigm! So nice to meet you! We are going to be interesting companions in this forum, because we share as much as we differ about. There will be those occasions where I argue with you. But in THIS post, I can only say KUDOS!!!! :) :) :) Well written.

I don't think Christians have any idea just how bad things are, just how much their scriptures take out of context, misquote, add clauses, and even invent a verse. (Obviously I'm speaking of the entire collection of Christian scriptures, not just the Pauline ones.

One of the butcheries of the Tanakh that get my goat is Hebrews 10:5 "Therefore, when Christ came into the world, he said: "Sacrifice and offering you did not desire, but a body you prepared for me." It is supposed to be quoting Psalm 40:6 (Psalm 40:7 in Jewish texts). BUT Psalm 40:6 says nothing about a body!!!! Nothing!!!! It says,
Sacrifice and meal-offering Thou hast no delight in; mine ears hast Thou opened; burnt-offering and sin-offering hast Thou not required." IOW the Christian author of Hebrew makes up the so called "body" quote out of whole cloth!

And then after butchering our beloved Tanakh, they want us to become Chrisitans? I don't think so. Run away! Run away!

Great to meet you. I have no horse in this race. I do believe in the God represented in the Bible but I am strongly convinced that the Bible itself is extremely fallible due to mans influence in the transference over time. I believe this is true of the New Testament as well as the Tanakh. That being said I do strongly agree an adhere to much of the Torah. I very much enjoy studying the Bible and learning from different peoples perceptions of it. But at the end of the day I don't believe knowledge is what humans will be graded by. I believe our intentions and motivations behind our actions will be the deciding factor.

Example: Doing good deeds for selfish reasons (or attention) brings little to no reward for the giver even though it still helps the other person.

Doing the right thing for the RIGHT reason is what the Creator is looking for in my opinion.

I believe we will all be judged fairly and uniquely. An illiterate indigenous person in a remote tribe will not be held to the same standard as a Rabbi. But he will be held accountable for the truth he perceives and understands. So righteousness in my view is judged on a sliding scale.

could be wrong about all of this and I'm open to the idea that I am wrong. But that is my current viewpoint.