• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Paul Corrupt Christianity?

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Paul was the sine qua non of the success of Christianity.

He was the great salesman, the inexhaustible spreader of the Word. Without him it's doubtful that Christianity would ever have spread far enough to become fashionable in Rome, hence to have found a friend in Constantine's mother.

And if that hadn't happen Constantine wouldn't have made Christianity a (later the) religion of the Roman empire. Which is why the West has been Christian for so long.

As with most things, so with Christianity ─ it's not what you know, it's who you know.

And in democratic terms it doesn't matter which Jesus you prefer ─ the Jesus of the author of Mark, or of Matthew, or of Luke, or of John, or the Jesus of Paul, or the Jesus of so many others afterwards, since not many Christians read the bible anyway.

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Paul was a proto-Valentinian Gnostic, he uses different terms for the Kingdom.

They have called Paul a lot of things... Peter called him Beloved brother.
Jesus called him a chosen vessel

He was a believer in Jesus for sure.

socharlie

They have called Paul a lot of things... Peter called him Beloved brother.
Jesus called him a chosen vessel

He was a believer in Jesus for sure.
he was not a believer he was knower of Christ Jesus.
For now we see in a mirror dimly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

PureX

Veteran Member
There was no singular Christian message for Paul to have corrupted. There were always lots of different people interpreting Jesus' words and deeds in their own ways. I believe the harm that Paul did to humanity his trying to consolidate everyone else's understanding under the rule of his own understanding, rather than allowing people to understand and apply the Spirit Within as the Spirit guided them. When Christianity became a "religious dogma", it denied its faith in the Spirit Within. And in so doing it lost it's understanding of Christ. Christ became a religion. With all BS that goes along with it.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
For now we see in a mirror dimly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
I dont see how that scriptures applies.

But he was a believer Gal 216:" even we have believed in JesusChrist,"

Rational Agnostic

socharlie

When you believe in Jesus... you are a believer... not a knower.

Dictionary:an adherent of a particular religion; someone with religious faith.synonyms:devotee, adherent, disciple, follower, supporter
nothing like that, it says when you START as believer you see God as thru dark glass without understanding - it is faith, than you KNOW in part that is hope, and finally you fully know (Gnosis in Greek) only than you are known by God - AGAPE .
Three stages of maturing of a Christian - Faith, Hope, Agape (love).

Last edited:

whirlingmerc

Nope.
God told Paul when Paul was blind he was going to be sent to open blind eyes
which if you think of it sounds rather hard, impossible human speaking

Here is a psalm Martin Luther called 'one of the Pauline epistles'
Psalm 6 a sorrowful psalm
Screen Shot 2017-12-19 at 8.07.48 PM.png

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Jesus taught different consciousness than one built on Tanakh. Matt.5:20. So did Paul.

We know nothing other then that Jesus was Jewish and according to the story, went to, and taught in, the Jewish Temple. Thus he taught Tanakh.

He complains about the letter of the law, rather then them understanding. And about a corrupt priesthood.

We only have a story about him, - written after he was dead, - and couldn't proofread it.

The majority of the story is probably false. = virgin births, a God for a father, etc.

socharlie

We know nothing other then that Jesus was Jewish and according to the story, went to, and taught in, the Jewish Temple. Thus he taught Tanakh.

He complains about the letter of the law, rather then them understanding. And about a corrupt priesthood.

We only have a story about him, - written after he was dead, - and couldn't proofread it.

The majority of the story is probably false. = virgin births, a God for a father, etc.

the whole idea of Christianity is right in Matthew 5:20 and the next verse which is change of consciousness from the Low in the Book (Tanakh) to the Low in the Heart which becomes essence of person.

Phantasman

I see that quote as Paul seeing the kingdom (of God). Luke 17:21

Thomas says it with more clarity:
Jesus said, "If those who lead you say to you, 'See, the kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather, the kingdom is inside of you, and it is outside of you. When you come to know yourselves, then you will become known, and you will realize that it is you who are the sons of the living father. But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty."

Paul was taught by the Spirit, just as we are.
Galatians 1:
11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.
12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.
13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews' religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:
14 And profited in the Jews' religion above many my equals in mine own nation, being more exceedingly zealous of the traditions of my fathers.
15 But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, (the flesh) and called me by his grace,
16 To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood: (Jewish priests, the same, he explains, that influenced Peter in the next chapter, Galatians 2:12)

Jesus "said" that the gospel was a mystery. And he said the "word of God" was a seed. Paul prospered the seed cultivating it as Jesus said. Without the knowledge from the Spirit (gnosis), the gospel remains a seed.

Ephesians 3:
4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)
5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men (the Jews), as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;
6 That the Gentiles should be fellow heirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:

One can read the gospels over and over and still not see it, unless the Spirit reveals it.

Jesus words came by the Holy Spirit speaking through him, and once given, spoke in men as well (like Paul). The OT never had it, and Paul says it didn't. (verse 5 above, as well as others)

Phantasman

Jesus taught different consciousness than one built on Tanakh. Matt.5:20. So did Paul.
Agreed. Jesus puts it to sleep.

John 6:32
Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven.

Eat the real bread from God in heaven.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Disagree, unless you consider the Hellenist Roman version Christinaity
So you disagree.......

Yeshua's (Jesus) mission was the foundation of Christianity. and not the Hellenist Roman version.
No it wasn't.
His mission was to continue on after Jochanan's arrest, campaigning against Temple and Priesthood corruption.
That's how he eventually got arrested, demonstratinmg and picketing in the Temple.