• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Nanak name any scripture as "Granth"

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
@paarsurrey
I have to say that you are good at this. :)
The reason I advised to read the books(not just hymns) is because they contain many details on the travels of GN and conversations he had with various people across the religious divide.
You may gain some wisdom as well as information.
That is just a superfluous thing Macauliffe did, I understand, because Nanak did not mention of any travels in Nanak's hymn in the Granth. Right, please?
It suggests, I imangine, that Angad excluded such verses from Nanak's hymns, and Macauliffe after hundred of years had no first hand sources to give details. if he had, please,quote such sources. Right,please?
The main/ or the root is the hymns of Nanak in the Granth, and it contains only the hymns Angad- the first of the self assumed "guru" doctored, redacted, and at his whims included some or excluded many and then made Granth out of it after adding many things "in the name of Nanak", I understand, Right, please?

Did one read Macauliffe's translation of the Nanak's hymns in the Granth, please?

Regards
" The faithful find the Door of Liberation. The faithful uplift and redeem their family and relations. The faithful are saved, and carried across with the Sikhs of the Guru. The faithful, O Nanak, do not wander around begging. Such is the Name of the Immaculate Lord. Only one who has faith comes to know such a state of mind. || 15 ||"
PAGE 3 - Gurmukhi to English Translation and Phonetic Transliteration of Siri Guru Granth Sahib.

Last edited:

Jedster

That is just a superfluous thing Macauliffe did, I understand.
The main thing is the hymns of Nanak in the Granth, and it contains only the hymns Angad- the first of the self assumed "guru" doctored, redacted, and at his whims included some or excluded many and then made Granth out of it after adding many things "in the name of Nanak", I understand, Right, please?

Did one read Macauliffe's translation of the Nanak's hymns in the Granth, please?

Regards

Well, I tried my best with you.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
As I have already mentioned somewhere, claiming to be something is considered very egoistic in Hinduism. Hindu saints never do that. In Nanak's time and later also, Sikhism was but a part of Hinduism, a sect. Panth - way, Mata - opinion. Even now, for millions of Hindus, Punjabis and Sindhis, Guru Nanak is the only Guru. The five features that are considered necessary for Sikhs today were adopted in the time of the 10th Guru, Sri Guru Gobind Singh ji. Yeah, Guru Nanak chose Bhai Lehna to lead the Sikh congregation after him. He was named Guru Angad (the steadfast one). Sure, Guru Nanak did not know that his group will blossom as Sikhs or that his hymns will become a sacred book for Sikhs. That is OK. So, what is your problem? Unfortunately, I have not been able to understand that.

We do not have prophets / sons / messengers / manifestations / mahdis sent by a God or Allah on a mission. Nanak's God (which he mentioned as Ek Onkar) was very different from the Abrahamic concept of God or Allah. Nanak was a monist. Do not compare Sikhism or any Indian religion to Abrahamic religion. The confusion that you are facing is because of that.
" Do not compare Sikhism or any Indian religion to Abrahamic religion. The confusion that you are facing is because of that."

As one expressed I have started a thread in Comparative Religion titled
Did Nanak adhere to "Advaita Vedanta " sect/religion of Hinduism-Religions?.
Just to inform one,please. Right, please?

Regards

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
That is just a superfluous thing Macauliffe did, I understand, because Nanak did not mention of any travels in Nanak's hymn in the Granth. Right, please?
It suggests, I imangine, that Angad excluded such verses from Nanak's hymns, and Macauliffe after hundred of years had no first hand sources to give details. if he had, please,quote such sources. Right,please?
The main/ or the root is the hymns of Nanak in the Granth, and it contains only the hymns Angad- the first of the self assumed "guru" doctored, redacted, and at his whims included some or excluded many and then made Granth out of it after adding many things "in the name of Nanak", I understand, Right, please?

Regards
" The faithful find the Door of Liberation. The faithful uplift and redeem their family and relations. The faithful are saved, and carried across with the Sikhs of the Guru. The faithful, O Nanak, do not wander around begging. Such is the Name of the Immaculate Lord. Only one who has faith comes to know such a state of mind. || 15 ||"
PAGE 3 - Gurmukhi to English Translation and Phonetic Transliteration of Siri Guru Granth Sahib.
If what Guru Arjan Dev did is

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It suggests, I imangine, that Angad excluded such verses from Nanak's hymns, ..
The main or the root is the hymns of Nanak in the Granth, and it contains only the hymns Angad - the first of the self assumed "guru" doctored, redacted, and at his whims included some or excluded many and then made Granth out of it after adding many things "in the name of Nanak", I understand, ..
If what Guru Angad did is acceptable to Sikhs, who are you to complain? What is your locus standi? You can imagine whatever you want.
Members who have been around for sometime, know the extent of your understanding. :)

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
If what Guru Angad did is acceptable to Sikhs, who are you to complain? What is your locus standi? You can imagine whatever you want.
Members who have been around for sometime, know the extent of your understanding. :)
"What is your locus standi?"

The same as one's. Right, please?

Regards

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I am sure Mirza Ghulam Ahmad taught you to respect others. So, respect Sikhism also. If Mirza Shib was the Mahdi, Guru Nanak also was a messenger of Allah.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I am sure Mirza Ghulam Ahmad taught you to respect others. So, respect Sikhism also. If Mirza Shib was the Mahdi, Guru Nanak also was a messenger of Allah.
"Nanak also was a messenger of Allah"

Nanak, I understand, never claimed to be a Messenger/Prophet of Allah,please. Right, please?
If yes, then kindly quote from Nanak's hymns in the Granth, please. Right, please?

Regards

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
OK. You can say - a man of God. This is because Hindus do not believe in myths of prophets / sons / messengers / manifestations / mahdis. We have three categories of men. 1. Wise people, whose advice we value. Nanak, Kabir, Bulle Shah were such persons. Then we have common people, nothing much to distinguish them, who benefit from the advice of the wise men. The third category is of jahils and fools, nothing much can be done about them. They will believe in all kinds of false things and consider themselves the wisest of all.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
There is also presumably nothing in Granth;
1. That Nanak was following a religion named “Islam”

2. That Nanak did not need a successor.

Therefore we would have to look outside the Granth to the facts of history to determine whether or not

3. Did Nanak choose anyone as his successor?

Here you might find the citations to the Punjabi University’s “Encyclopaedia of Sikhism” or Oxford University’s “The Oxford Handbook of Sikh studies” to be useful references to the following quote from Wikipedia;

‘Guru Nanak touched him* and renamed him Angad (from Ang, or part of the body) and named him as his successor and the second Nanak on 13 June 1539.[9][13]

*Ie Guru Angad

So on the one hand we have the word of paarsurrey that Nanak did not appoint a successor, on the other hand we have the opinion of people with relevant qualifications who say that it is factual that Nanak did appoint a successor.
" ‘Guru Nanak touched him* and renamed him Angad (from Ang, or part of the body) and named him as his successor and the second Nanak on 13 June 1539.[9][13] "

There is nothing in Nanaks' hymns in the Granth where he ever mentioned Angad (or Lehna ) or having touched him, I understand.
Right, please?
If yes, then please quote from Nanak's hymns in the Granth or if the sources that one has mentioned have quoted from hymn of Nanak in the Granth, in this connection. Right, please?
This is all conjecture and made up stories after the death of Nanak by people who wanted to assume the religions control for their own vested interests, I understand. Right, please?

Regards

chinu

chinu
Did Nanak name any scripture as "Granth", please?

I understand from what I have read so far from Granth* that Nanak did not name any scripture as "Granth" in a clear, unequivocal, unambiguous and straightforward manner, in Granth .
If yes, please quote Nanak's words from Granth?
Right, please?
Thread open to everybody of religion or no-religion, please.

Regards

1st Guru ji something special, whereas 9th Guru ji is NOT that special. Do you ?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Sounds like you think that there's big difference between "Guru Nanak ji" (1st Guru) & "Guru Gobind Singh ji" (9th Guru)

1st Guru ji something special, whereas 9th Guru ji is NOT that special. Do you ?
Gobind was not following Nanak, as I understand. Right, please?

Regards