• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Nanak name any scripture as "Granth"

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
"Sure, Guru Nanak did not know that his group will blossom as Sikhs or that his hymns will become a sacred book for Sikhs. That is OK."
So, as I understand, one confirms my point that the present Sikhism has no roots and foundation in the hymns of Nanak in Granth. Right, please?
I do not know how could one conclude that; but knowing you, I can see that you can conclude that. :D

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Angad , I understand,self-appointed himself as "guru", he was not chosen by Nanak as "guru" after him, there is nothing in the hymns of Nanak as given in Granth that he was chosen by Nanak.
Guru Angad Dev, as per tradition and Wikipedia was chosen by Guru Nanak to lead his group.

For the upkeep of a group people donate land or money or their efforts. Perhaps Guru Nanak's group also had that. After all, Guru Nanak started the tradition of community 'langar' (food for any one who comes). So their must have been manager, a cook, a kitchen, a store to keep food items. Most would probably be brought by the devotees from their fields, but they must have also been buying some items. Probably Guru Angad might be managing that. Such kitchen exist in all gurudwaras even today and are known as 'Guru ka langar'. Hindus too freely participate in gurudwara activities, my family does. My son has sung Shabads (Hymns) at many famous gurudwaras with his group, including Darbar Sahib in Amritsar. Why would a book of hymns include information on administration of the group? That is a separate subject.

darbar sahib kitchen amritsar - Google Search
The Kitchen at the Golden Temple Feeds up to 100,000 People a Day for Free
50,000 Free Hot Meals a Day and 9 Other Amazing Facts About the Langar at the Golden Temple
dsc_0259.jpg

My son with his group during celebration of opening of Kartarpur Sahib corridor:
75065630_427500311253215_7520689031823228928_o.jpg

Last edited:

danieldemol

Premium Member
"Besides it raises the questions;
1. If Nanak did not give a set of teachings why did he appoint a successor
2. If Nanak was a Muslim why did he choose a non-Muslim successor.

"

There is nothing in the hymns of Nanak as given in Granth:
  1. that Nanak was founding any new religion
  2. or that Nanak needed any religious successor-ship after him
  3. Nanak did not choose anybody as his religious successor.
Angad , I understand,self-appointed himself as "guru", he was not chosen by Nanak as "guru" after him, there is nothing in the hymns of Nanak as given in Granth that he was chosen by Nanak.
If yes, then please quote from Nanak. Right, please?
Anybody, please

Regards
There is also presumably nothing in Granth;
1. That Nanak was following a religion named “Islam”

2. That Nanak did not need a successor.

Therefore we would have to look outside the Granth to the facts of history to determine whether or not

3. Did Nanak choose anyone as his successor?

Here you might find the citations to the Punjabi University’s “Encyclopaedia of Sikhism” or Oxford University’s “The Oxford Handbook of Sikh studies” to be useful references to the following quote from Wikipedia;

‘Guru Nanak touched him* and renamed him Angad (from Ang, or part of the body) and named him as his successor and the second Nanak on 13 June 1539.[9][13]

*Ie Guru Angad

So on the one hand we have the word of paarsurrey that Nanak did not appoint a successor, on the other hand we have the opinion of people with relevant qualifications who say that it is factual that Nanak did appoint a successor.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
My question to Paarsurrey: Are you in competition with Sikhism? Do you want to defeat Sikhism in India, England, US or Canada? Choose your time and place? Choose your armaments, sword, philosophy or humanism? You would not be able to do it. Get off Sikhism's tail. :D

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Guru Angad Dev, as per tradition and Wikipedia was chosen by Guru Nanak to lead his group.

For the upkeep of a group people donate land or money or their efforts. Perhaps Guru Nanak's group also had that. After all, Guru Nanak started the tradition of community 'langar' (food for any one who comes). So their must have been manager, a cook, a kitchen, a store to keep food items. Most would probably be brought by the devotees from their fields, but they must have also been buying some items. Probably Guru Angad might be managing that. Such kitchen exist in all gurudwaras even today and are known as 'Guru ka langar'. Hindus too freely participate in gurudwara activities, my family does. My son has sung Shabads (Hymns) at many famous gurudwaras with his group, including Darbar Sahib in Amritsar. Why would a book of hymns include information on administration of the group? That is a separate subject.

darbar sahib kitchen amritsar - Google Search
The Kitchen at the Golden Temple Feeds up to 100,000 People a Day for Free
50,000 Free Hot Meals a Day and 9 Other Amazing Facts About the Langar at the Golden Temple
dsc_0259.jpg

My son with his group during celebration of opening of Kartarpur Sahib corridor:
75065630_427500311253215_7520689031823228928_o.jpg
"After all, Guru Nanak started the tradition of community 'langar' (food for any one who comes). "

I understand one is wrong here again. Nanak never started a Langar in his life time. Nanak's hymns don't mention it in Granth.
One has been, I understand,mislead by the use of the word "Nanak" by Arjan. Langar was started by Angad- the "second" "guru" as the story goes.
Please check and get corrected. Right, please?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
As I have already mentioned somewhere, claiming to be something is considered very egoistic in Hinduism. Hindu saints never do that. In Nanak's time and later also, Sikhism was but a part of Hinduism, a sect. Panth - way, Mata - opinion. Even now, for millions of Hindus, Punjabis and Sindhis, Guru Nanak is the only Guru. The five features that are considered necessary for Sikhs today were adopted in the time of the 10th Guru, Sri Guru Gobind Singh ji. Yeah, Guru Nanak chose Bhai Lehna to lead the Sikh congregation after him. He was named Guru Angad (the steadfast one). Sure, Guru Nanak did not know that his group will blossom as Sikhs or that his hymns will become a sacred book for Sikhs. That is OK. So, what is your problem? Unfortunately, I have not been able to understand that.

We do not have prophets / sons / messengers / manifestations / mahdis sent by a God or Allah on a mission. Nanak's God (which he mentioned as Ek Onkar) was very different from the Abrahamic concept of God or Allah. Nanak was a monist. Do not compare Sikhism or any Indian religion to Abrahamic religion. The confusion that you are facing is because of that.
"The five features that are considered necessary for Sikhs today were adopted in the time of the 10th Guru, Sri Guru Gobind Singh ji."

I agree with one that five features that are considered essential for Sikhs these days have no foundation/roots in Nanak's hymns. Right, please?

Regards
In Sikhism, the Five Ks (Punjabi: ਪੰਜ ਕਕਾਰ Pañj Kakār) are five items that Guru Gobind Singh commanded Khalsa Sikhs to wear at all times in 1699. They are: Kesh (uncut hair), Kangha (a wooden comb for the hair), Kara (an iron bracelet), Kachera (100% cotton tieable undergarment) (not an elastic one) and Kirpan (an iron dagger large enough to defend oneself).

The Five Ks are not just symbols, but articles of faith that collectively form the external identity and the Khalsa devotee's commitment to the Sikh rehni "Sikh way of life".[1]
The Five Ks - Wikipedia.

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Granth in Indian languages means a book. The Sikh book, Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji, was compiled during the time of the fifth Sikh guru, Sri Guru Arjan Dev ji in 1604. It contained hymns by Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji and other gurus, 13 Hindu and 2 Muslim saints. The later gurus also added their hymns. The 10th Guru, Sri Guru Gobind Singh ji did not appoint any successor to himself and asked the Sikhs to follow what was there in Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji.

Just as the other religions have their sacred books, the Sikhs also have one. I do not understand why Paarsurrey has started this thread and what he wants to say. If he wants to study Guru Nanak's hymns, then he can find a nice English translation here: http://www.khalsadarbar.com/PDFs/SriGuruGranthSahibJiDarpanEnglish.pdf

"If he wants to study Guru Nanak's hymns, then he can find a nice English translation here: http://www.khalsadarbar.com/PDFs/SriGuruGranthSahibJiDarpanEnglish.pdf"

One may like to read my post #26 about the above translation done by Dr. Sant Singh Khalsa, MD, please?
Right, please?

Regards

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I agree with one that five features that are considered essential for Sikhs these days have no foundation/roots in Nanak's hymns. Right, please?
Right. However, there are 'Sahajdhari' Sikhs, for whom this is not necessary. Sahajdhari - Wikipedia
"If he wants to study Guru Nanak's hymns, then he can find a nice English translation here: http://www.khalsadarbar.com/PDFs/SriGuruGranthSahibJiDarpanEnglish.pdf"
One may like to read my post #26 about the above translation done by Dr. Sant Singh Khalsa, MD, please?
Well, whichever. Both are quite similar.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
"After all, Guru Nanak started the tradition of community 'langar' (food for any one who comes). "

I understand one is wrong here again. Nanak never started a Langar in his life time. Nanak's hymns don't mention it in Granth.
One has been, I understand,mislead by the use of the word "Nanak" by Arjan. Langar was started by Angad- the "second" "guru" as the story goes.
Please check and get corrected. Right, please?

Friend @Aupmanyav .
I have to add that if Arjan could describe Langar in his hymns in Granth , Nanak would have also mentioned it in his hymns in Granth easily,had Nanak started Langar,
One may read Arjan's hymns in this connection:

slok mÚ 5 ] (966-2) salok mehlaa 5. Shalok, Fifth Mehl: PrIdw BUim rMgwvlI mMiJ ivsUlw bwgu ] (966-2, rwmklI, mÚ 5) fareedaa bhoom rangaavalee manjh visoolaa baag. Fareed, this world is beautiful, but there is a thorny garden within it. jo nr pIir invwijAw iqn@w AMc n lwg ]1] (966-2, rwmklI, mÚ 5) jo nar peer nivaaji-aa tinH aa anch na laag. ||1|| Those who are blessed by their spiritual teacher are not even scratched. ||1|| mÚ 5 ] (966-3) mehlaa 5. Fifth Mehl: PrIdw aumr suhwvVI sMig suvMnVI dyh ] (966-3, rwmklI, mÚ 5) fareedaa umar suhaavarhee sang suvannrhee dayh. Fareed, blessed is the life, with such a beautiful body. ivrly kyeI pweIAin@ ijn@w ipAwry nyh ]2] (966-3, rwmklI, mÚ 5) virlay kay-ee paa-ee-aniH jinH aa pi-aaray nayh. ||2|| How rare are those who are found to love their Beloved Lord. ||2|| pauVI ] (966-4) pa-orhee. Pauree: jpu qpu sMjmu dieAw Drmu ijsu dyih su pwey ] (966-4, rwmklI, mÚ 5) jap tap sanjam da-i-aa Dharam jis deh so paa-ay. He alone obtains meditation, austerities, self-discipline, compassion and Dharmic faith, whom the Lord so blesses. ijsu buJwieih Agin Awip so nwmu iDAwey ] (966-4, rwmklI, mÚ 5) jis bujhaa-ihi agan aap so naam Dhi-aa-ay. He alone meditates on the Naam, the Name of the Lord, whose fire the Lord puts out. AMqrjwmI Agm purKu iek idRsit idKwey ] (966-5, rwmklI, mÚ 5) antarjaamee agam purakh ik darisat dikhaa-ay. The Inner-knower, the Searcher of hearts, the Inaccessible Primal Lord, inspires us to look upon all with an impartial eye. swDsMgiq kY AwsrY pRB isau rMgu lwey ] (966-5, rwmklI, mÚ 5) saaDhsangat kai aasrai parabh si-o rang laa-ay. With the support of the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, one falls in love with God. Aaugx kit muKu aujlw hir nwim qrwey ] (966-6, rwmklI, mÚ 5) a-ugan kat mukh ujlaa har naam taraa-ay. One's faults are eradicated, and one's face becomes radiant and bright; through the Lord's Name, one crosses over. jnm mrx Bau kitEnu iPir join n pwey ] (966-6, rwmklI, mÚ 5) janam maran bha-o kati-on fir jon na paa-ay. The fear of birth and death is removed, and he is not reincarnated again. AMD kUp qy kwiFAnu lVu Awip PVwey ] (966-7, rwmklI, mÚ 5) anDh koop tay kaadhi-an larh aap farhaa-ay. God lifts him up and pulls him out of the deep, dark pit, and attaches him to the hem of His robe. nwnk bKis imlwieAnu rKy gil lwey ]21] (966-7, rwmklI, mÚ 5) naanak bakhas milaa-i-an rakhay gal laa-ay. ||21|| O Nanak, God forgives him, and holds him close in His embrace. ||21|| slok mÚ 5 ] (966-8) salok mehlaa 5. Shalok, Fifth Mehl: muhbiq ijsu Kudwie dI rqw rMig clUil ] (966-8, rwmklI, mÚ 5) muhabat jis khudaa-ay dee rataa rang chalool. One who loves God is imbued with the deep crimson color of His love. nwnk ivrly pweIAih iqsu jn kIm n mUil ]1] (966-8, rwmklI, mÚ 5) naanak virlay paa-ee-ah tis jan keem na mool. ||1|| O Nanak, such a person is rarely found; the value of such a humble person can never be estimated. ||1|| mÚ 5 ] (966-9) mehlaa 5. Fifth Mehl: AMdru ivDw sic nwie bwhir BI scu ifToim ] (966-9, rwmklI, mÚ 5) andar viDhaa sach naa-ay baahar bhee sach dithom. The True Name has pierced the nucleus of my self deep within. Outside, I see the True Lord as well. nwnk rivAw hB Qwie vix iqRix iqRBvix roim ]2] (966-9, rwmklI, mÚ 5) naanak ravi-aa habh thaa-ay van tarin taribhavan rom. ||2|| O Nanak, He is pervading and permeating all places, the forests and the meadows, the three worlds, and every hair. ||2|| pauVI ] (966-10) pa-orhee. Pauree: Awpy kIqo rcnu Awpy hI riqAw ] (966-10, rwmklI, mÚ 5) aapay keeto rachan aapay hee rati-aa. He Himself created the Universe; He Himself imbues it. Awpy hoieE ieku Awpy bhu BiqAw ] (966-10, rwmklI, mÚ 5) aapay ho-i-o ik aapay baho bhati-aa. He Himself is One, and He Himself has numerous forms. Awpy sBnw mMiJ Awpy bwhrw ] (966-11, rwmklI, mÚ 5) aapay sabhnaa manjh aapay baahraa. He Himself is within all, and He Himself is beyond them. Awpy jwxih dUir Awpy hI jwhrw ] (966-11, rwmklI, mÚ 5) aapay jaaneh door aapay hee jaahraa. He Himself is known to be far away, and He Himself is right here. Awpy hovih gupqu Awpy prgtIAY ] (966-11, rwmklI, mÚ 5) aapay hoveh gupat aapay pargatee-ai. He Himself is hidden, and He Himself is revealed. kImiq iksY n pwie qyrI QtIAY ] (966-12, rwmklI, mÚ 5) keemat kisai na paa-ay tayree thatee-ai. No one can estimate the value of Your Creation, Lord. gihr gMBIru AQwhu Apwru Agxqu qUM ] (966-12, rwmklI, mÚ 5) gahir gambheer athaahu apaar agnat tooN . You are deep and profound, unfathomable, infinite and invaluable. nwnk vrqY ieku ieko ieku qUM ]22]1]2] suDu ] (966-13, rwmklI, mÚ 5) naanak vartai ik iko ik tooN . ||22||1||2|| suDh. O Nanak, the One Lord is all-pervading. You are the One and only. ||22||1||2|| Sudh|| rwmklI kI vwr rwie blvMif qQw sqY fUim AwKI (966-14) raamkalee kee vaar raa-ay balvand tathaa satai doom aakhee Vaar Of Raamkalee, Uttered By Satta And Balwand The Drummer: <> siqgur pRswid ] (966-14)

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
(continued from the previous post)
ik-oN kaar satgur parsaad. One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru: nwau krqw kwdru kry ikau bolu hovY joKIvdY ] (966-15, rwmklI, blvMif qy sqw) naa-o kartaa kaadar karay ki-o bol hovai jokheevadai. One who chants the Name of the Almighty Creator - how can his words be judged? dy gunw siq BYx Brwv hY pwrMgiq dwnu pVIvdY ] (966-15, rwmklI, blvMif qy sqw) day gunaa sat bhain bharaav hai paarangat daan parheevadai. His divine virtues are the true sisters and brothers; through them, the gift of supreme status is obtained. nwnik rwju clwieAw scu kotu sqwxI nIv dY ] (966-16, rwmklI, blvMif qy sqw) naanak raaj chalaa-i-aa sach kot sataanee neev dai. Nanak established the kingdom; He built the true fortress on the strongest foundations. lhxy DirEnu Cqu isir kir isPqI AMimRqu pIvdY ] (966-16, rwmklI, blvMif qy sqw) lahnay Dhari-on chhat sir kar siftee amrit peevdai. He installed the royal canopy over Lehna's head; chanting the Lord's Praises, He drank in the Ambrosial Nectar. miq gur Awqm dyv dI KVig joir prwkuie jIA dY ] (966-17, rwmklI, blvMif qy sqw) mat gur aatam dayv dee kharhag jor puraaku-ay jee-a dai. The Guru implanted the almighty sword of the Teachings to illuminate his soul. guir cyly rhrwis kIeI nwnik slwmiq QIvdY ] (966-17, rwmklI, blvMif qy sqw) gur chaylay rahraas kee-ee naanak salaamat theevdai. The Guru bowed down to His disciple, while Nanak was still alive. sih itkw idqosu jIvdY ]1] (966-18, rwmklI, blvMif qy sqw) seh tikaa ditos jeevdai. ||1|| The King, while still alive, applied the ceremonial mark to his forehead. ||1|| lhxy dI PyrweIAY nwnkw dohI KtIAY ] (966-18, rwmklI, blvMif qy sqw) lahnay dee fayraa-ee-ai naankaa dohee khatee-ai. Nanak proclaimed Lehna's succession - he earned it. joiq Ehw jugiq swie sih kwieAw Pyir pltIAY ] (966-18, rwmklI, blvMif qy sqw) jot ohaa jugat saa-ay seh kaa-i-aa fayr paltee-ai. They shared the One Light and the same way; the King just changed His body. JulY su Cqu inrMjnI mil qKqu bYTw gur htIAY ] (966-19, rwmklI, blvMif qy sqw) jhulai so chhat niranjanee mal takhat baithaa gur hatee-ai. The immaculate canopy waves over Him, and He sits on the throne in the Guru's shop. krih ij gur PurmwieAw isl jogu AlUxI ctIAY ] (966-19, rwmklI, blvMif qy sqw) karahi je gur furmaa-i-aa sil jog aloonee chatee-ai. He does as the Guru commands; He tasted the tasteless stone of Yoga. pMnw 967 lµgru clY gur sbid hir qoit n AwvI KtIAY ] (967-1, rwmklI, blvMif qy sqw) langar chalai gur sabad har tot na aavee khatee-ai. The Langar - the Kitchen of the Guru's Shabad has been opened, and its supplies never run short. Krcy idiq KsMm dI Awp KhdI KYir dbtIAY ] (967-2, rwmklI, blvMif qy sqw) kharchay dit khasamm dee aap khahdee khair dabtee-ai. Whatever His Master gave, He spent; He distributed it all to be eaten. hovY isPiq KsMm dI nUru Arshu kurshu JtIAY ] (967-2, rwmklI, blvMif qy sqw) hovai sifat khasamm dee noor arsahu kursahu jhatee-ai. The Praises of the Master were sung, and the Divine Light descended from the heavens to the earth. quDu ifTy scy pwiqswh mlu jnm jnm dI ktIAY ] (967-3, rwmklI, blvMif qy sqw) tuDh dithay sachay paatisaah mal janam janam dee katee-ai. Gazing upon You, O True King, the filth of countless past lives is washed away. scu ij guir PurmwieAw ikau eydU bolhu htIAY ] (967-3, rwmklI, blvMif qy sqw) sach je gur furmaa-i-aa ki-o aydoo bolhu hatee-ai. The Guru gave the True Command; why should we hesitate to proclaim this? puqRI kaulu n pwilE kir pIrhu kMn@ murtIAY ] (967-4, rwmklI, blvMif qy sqw) putree ka-ul na paali-o kar peerahu kanH murtee-ai. His sons did not obey His Word; they turned their backs on Him as Guru. idil KotY AwkI iPrin@ bMin@ Bwru aucwiein@ CtIAY ] (967-4, rwmklI, blvMif qy sqw) dil khotai aakee firniH baneh bhaar uchaa-iniH chhatee-ai. These evil-hearted ones became rebellious; they carry loads of sin on their backs. ijin AwKI soeI kry ijin kIqI iqnY QtIAY ] (967-5, rwmklI, blvMif qy sqw) jin aakhee so-ee karay jin keetee tinai thatee-ai. Whatever the Guru said, Lehna did, and so he was installed on the throne. kauxu hwry ikin auvtIAY ]2] (967-5, rwmklI, blvMif qy sqw) ka-un haaray kin uvtee-ai. ||2|| Who has lost, and who has won? ||2|| ijin kIqI so mMnxw ko swlu ijvwhy swlI ] (967-5, rwmklI, blvMif qy sqw) jin keetee so mannnaa ko saal jivaahay saalee. He who did the work, is accepted as Guru; so which is better - the thistle or the rice? Drm rwie hY dyvqw lY glw kry dlwlI ] (967-6, rwmklI, blvMif qy sqw) Dharam raa-ay hai dayvtaa lai galaa karay dalaalee. The Righteous Judge of Dharma considered the arguments and made the decision. siqguru AwKY scw kry sw bwq hovY drhwlI ] (967-6, rwmklI, blvMif qy sqw) satgur aakhai sachaa karay saa baat hovai darhaalee. Whatever the True Guru says, the True Lord does; it comes to pass instantaneously. gur AMgd dI dohI iPrI scu krqY bMiD bhwlI ] (967-7, rwmklI, blvMif qy sqw) gur angad dee dohee firee sach kartai banDh bahaalee. Guru Angad was proclaimed, and the True Creator confirmed it. nwnku kwieAw pltu kir mil qKqu bYTw sY fwlI ] (967-7, rwmklI, blvMif qy sqw) naanak kaa-i-aa palat kar mal takhat baithaa sai daalee. Nanak merely changed his body; He still sits on the throne, with hundreds of branches reaching out. dru syvy aumiq KVI msklY hoie jMgwlI ] (967-8, rwmklI, blvMif qy sqw) dar sayvay umat kharhee maskalai ho-ay jangaalee. Standing at His door, His followers serve Him; by this service, their rust is scraped off. dir drvysu KsMm dY nwie scY bwxI lwlI ] (967-8, rwmklI, blvMif qy sqw) dar darvays khasamm dai naa-ay sachai banee laalee. He is the Dervish - the Saint, at the door of His Lord and Master; He loves the True Name, and the Bani of the Guru's Word. blvMf KIvI nyk jn ijsu bhuqI Cwau pqRwlI ] (967-9, rwmklI, blvMif qy sqw) balvand kheevee nayk jan jis bahutee chhaa-o patraalee. Balwand says that Khivi, the Guru's wife, is a noble woman, who gives soothing, leafy shade to all. lµgir dauliq vMfIAY rsu AMimRqu KIir iGAwlI ] (967-9, rwmklI, blvMif qy sqw) langar da-ulat vandee-ai ras amrit kheer ghi-aalee. She distributes the bounty of the Guru's Langar; the kheer - the rice pudding and ghee, is like sweet ambrosia. gurisKw ky muK aujly mnmuK QIey prwlI ] (967-10, rwmklI, blvMif qy sqw) gursikhaa kay mukh ujlay manmukh thee-ay paraalee. The faces of the Guru's Sikhs are radiant and bright; the self-willed manmukhs are pale, like straw. pey kbUlu KsMm nwil jW Gwl mrdI GwlI ] (967-10, rwmklI, blvMif qy sqw) pa-ay kabool khasamm naal jaaN ghaal mardee ghaalee. The Master gave His approval, when Angad exerted Himself heroically. mwqw KIvI shu soie ijin goie auTwlI ]3] (967-11, rwmklI, blvMif qy sqw) maataa kheevee saho so-ay jin go-ay uthaalee. ||3|| Such is the Husband of mother Khivi; He sustains the world. ||3|| hoirNE gMg vhweIAY duinAweI AwKY ik ikEnu ] (967-11, rwmklI, blvMif qy sqw) horiN -o gang vahaa-ee-ai duni-aa-ee aakhai ke ki-on. It is as if the Guru made the Ganges flow in the opposite direction, and the world wonders: what has he done? nwnk eIsir jgnwiQ auchdI vYxu ivirikEnu ] (967-12, rwmklI, blvMif qy sqw) naanak eesar jagnaath uchhadee vain viriki-on. Nanak, the Lord, the Lord of the World, spoke the words out loud. mwDwxw prbqu kir nyiqR bwsku sbid irVikEnu ] (967-12, rwmklI, blvMif qy sqw) maaDhaanaa parbat kar naitar baasak sabad rirhki-on. Making the mountain his churning stick, and the snake-king his churning string, He has churned the Word of the Shabad.
Right, please?

Regards

Regards

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Friend @Aupmanyav . I have to add that if Arjan could describe Langar in his hymns in Granth, Nanak would have also mentioned it in his hymns in Granth easily, had Nanak started Langar.
I have not read Sri Guru Granth Sahib thoroughly, because I have understood the gist of what Guru Nanak was saying. After that, reading of the book was not necessary. I understand what, Buddha, Sankara, Guru Nanak and the other Acharyas of Vedanta were saying. I do not need to read any book for that.

Guru Nanak's house was open for all comers, whatever be his religion or caste. Even when he was working in the Mughal store, he gave what he had to any one requesting food and exhausted everything in the store. I think there is a story about that. Perhaps @ManSinha would know that.

When Guru Nanak was praying, why would he include mundane things in it? Food items and their giving out was unimportant. The God was giving it, so Guru Nanak had no authority to restrict it. He would freely and happily give all that he had. Even today the langars are held with that ideology. It is not a human who is the provider. It is the 'Akal Purukh' who provides. That is why Sikhs require food to be accepted in open hands as a gift from God.

See how people are accepting food.
langar-1582808270.jpeg
main-qimg-cccf09b9b762065916bae4698ee0272b-c
a-sikh-man-providing-mobile-langar-at-the-amritsar-airport-is-the-lesson-in-humanity-we-need-today-652x400-1-1477301127.jpg

Sikhism: Why do Sikhs organize so many Langars/Community Kitchens? - Quora

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
My question to Paarsurrey: Are you in competition with Sikhism? Do you want to defeat Sikhism in India, England, US or Canada? Choose your time and place? Choose your armaments, sword, philosophy or humanism? You would not be able to do it. Get off Sikhism's tail. :D
My point is that as I understand the present Sikhism/Sikhi/SikhMat/SikhDharma/SikhDharam has no roots in Nanak, and it has not branched off the tree of Nanak.
It is, I understand, a different tree. I respect it though.
Right, please?

Regards

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
My point is that as I understand the present Sikhism/Sikhi/SikhMat/SikhDharma/SikhDharam has no roots in Nanak, and it has not branched off the tree of Nanak.
It is, I understand, a different tree. I respect it though.
Good, that is what you believe, I can do nothing other than live with it.
Sikhi will remain sikhi, whether you respect it or not.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Good, that is what you believe, I can do nothing other than live with it.
Sikhi will remain sikhi, whether you respect it or not.
Well, I respect it. It is for this that I am reading Nanak's hymns/words in the Granth.
I understand that we should have a joint study of Nanak's hymns/words in Granth. I am pleased to know that one's son is reading it. One should also spare some time from reading Vedas or Gita and read Nanak's
hymns in Granth. Right, please?
I also request our friend @Jedster to join this joint-study, please, no compulsion though.

Regards

Last edited:

Jedster

Well, I respect it. It is for this that I am reading Nanak's hymns/words in the Granth.
I understand that we should have a joint study of Nanak's hymns/words in Granth. I am pleased to know that one's son is reading it. One should also spare some time from reading Vedas or Gita and read Nanak's
hymns in Granth. Right, please?
I also request our friend @Jedster to join this joint-study, please, no compulsion though.

Regards

My best advice is for you to really chill out.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Nanak, I understand, is the authority so Nanak should be referred and his hymns in the Granth on the issue mentioned in the OP, please. Right, please?

Regards

Jedster

Nanak, I understand, is the authority so Nanak should be referred and his hymns in the Granth on the issue mentioned in the OP, please. Right, please?

Regards

You choose to ignore all answers so far on the several threads you have created.

Maybe you haven't read enough on the subject.
I suggest you read the books by Max Arthur Macauliffe who quotes Guru Nanak extensively.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Arthur_Macauliffe
the link contains links to his books.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
You choose to ignore all answers so far on the several threads you have created.

Maybe you haven't read enough on the subject.
I suggest you read the books by Max Arthur Macauliffe who quotes Guru Nanak extensively.
Max Arthur Macauliffe - Wikipedia
the link contains links to his books.
One is very intelligent, I understand. Right, please?
I have already got Macauliffe's translation with me and I intend to read its portions where he has given translation of Nanak's hymns in the Granth, may be after when I am finished with the present one exhibited in the most if not all the websites of Sikhism people.
Has one read the translation of Nanaks hymns by Macauliffe's, please?

Any-other friend here who has read it, please. Right, please?

Regards

Regards

Jedster

@paarsurrey

I have to say that you are good at this. :)

The reason I advised to read the books(not just hymns) is because they contain many details on the travels of GN and conversations he had with various people across the religious divide.
You may gain some wisdom as well as information.