• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Nanak mention Sikhism as a religion in Granth?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Did Nanak mention Sikhism as a religion in Granth, please?

I understand from what I have read so far from Granth that Nanak did not mention Sikhism or Sikh-Dharma or Sikh-Mat or Sikhi as a religion in a clear, unequivocal, unambiguous and straightforward manner, in Granth .
If yes, please quote from Nanak?

Thread open for everybody a believer or non-believer.
Right, please?

Regards
#22,,#21, #20 ,
#1,

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

I understand from what I have read so far from Granth that Nanak did not mention Sikhism or Sikh-Dharma or Sikh-Mat or Sikhi as a religion in a clear, unequivocal, unambiguous and straightforward manner, in Granth .

Now I am at Page 1008 of 1430 of Granth, so far I don't find anything to formalize any new
Religion by the names "Sikhi" or "Sikhism" or "Sikh-mut" or "Sikh-Dharma" from the contents of Nanak in the Granth.
If I have missed something, please do correct me from the words of Nanak in the Granth. Right, please?

Regards
#22,,#21, #20 ,
#1,

Last edited:

danieldemol

Premium Member

Thread open for everybody a believer or non-believer.
Right, please?

Regards
#22,,#21, #20 ,
#1,
In your own words is the Sikh faith a religion or is it not a religion?

Because that is the seeds of persecution right there if members of the Ahmadiyya sect of Islam would deny religious status to what is the fifth largest religion in the world if the Ahmadiyya ever came to power.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
In your own words is the Sikh faith a religion or is it not a religion?

Because that is the seeds of persecution right there if members of the Ahmadiyya sect of Islam would deny religious status to what is the fifth largest religion in the world if the Ahmadiyya ever came to power.

The OP is specific about the words of Nanak
, he did not say that Sikhism was a new religion.
I don't deny that the Sikhism people have a right to say that they belong to Sikhism or that they are Sikhs irrespective of whether Nanak said or did not say it. Right, please?
Please read Nanak's words from Granth for a meaningful discussion . Right,please?

Regards

danieldemol

Premium Member
The OP is specific about the words of Nanak, he did not say that Sikhism was a new religion.
I don't deny that the Sikhism people have a right to say that they belong to Sikhism or that they are Sikhs irrespective of whether Nanak said or did not say it. Right, please?
Please read Nanak's words from Granth for a meaningful discussion . Right,please?

Regards
Do you acknowledge their right to legal recognition as a religion?

If you do not then in an Ahmadi state people may have trouble getting their Sikh marriages recognised for example, not to mention facing other potential difficulties.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
[QUOTE="danieldemol, post: 6690924, member: 29492"]Do you acknowledge their right to legal recognition as a religion?

If you do not then in an Ahmadi state people may have trouble getting their Sikh marriages recognised for example, not to mention facing other potential difficulties.[/QUOTE]

Yes, they have. They could name their religion whatever they like it to be.
My point is that Nanak did not mention in his words in Granth that he had founded a new religion by this name "Sikhism" or the like. Right, please?

Regards

danieldemol

Premium Member
Yes, they have. They could name their religion whatever they like it to be.
My point is that Nanak did not mention in his words in Granth that he had founded a new religion by this name "Sikhism" or the like. Right, please?

Regards
So if it is legally recognisable as a religion what difference does it make whether Nanak named it by its proper name or not when all agree that it is a religion?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
So if it is legally recognisable as a religion what difference does it make whether Nanak named it by its proper name or not when all agree that it is a religion?

My point is that as I understand from Nanak's hymns/words, present Sikhism has no roots in Nanak at all. It has not branched off the tree of Nanak.
It is, I understand, just another tree. Right, please?
If one reads Nanak's hymn/words in Granth, one may realize it to be correct, I imagine. It will only benefit one, no compulsion however.
Right,please?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I respect Sikhism, but I understand it will be a disrespect to Nanak to attribute things to Nanak that he never said or never did or never proclaim. I am comfortable with Sikhism and the people who believe in it, if they say that Sikhism has nothing to do with Nanak. if they say so then I will request them, very humbly, to quote from Nanak's hymns in Granth where he said that he was founding a "new religion" named "Sikhism" or "Sikhi". Is it not a reasonable request, please?
Right, please?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Sikhism and or Sikhi, whatever its name in the present times. It has no foundation in Nanak, Nanak's hymns are a witness to it as I understand from Nanak's words in Granth. Right, please?
Sikhism and or Sikhi is , I understand, a different building laid down by Angad to start with and the building is not yet complete, as the ambitions are still evolving as I imagine to become "universal". I respect their ambitions and the different aspects of universality, but still it is work in progress as I understand, please. Right, please?

Regard
PhD
AAD GURU GRANTH SAHIB

https://www.sikhiwiki.org/images/4/4c/180417SIKHISM_AS_THE_UNIVERSAL_RELIGION.pdf

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Now I am at Page 1241 of 1430 of Granth, so far I don't find anything to from Nanak indicating that he had formalized a any new
Religion by the names "Sikhi" or "Sikhism" or "Sikh-mut" or "Sikh-Dharma" from the contents of Nanak in the Granth.
If I have missed something, please do correct me from the words of Nanak in the Granth.
Right, please?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Now I am at Page 1254 of 1430 of Granth, so far I don't find anything to from Nanak indicating that he had formalized a any new
If I have missed something, please do correct me from the words of Nanak in the Granth.
Right, please?

Regards
_________
And it is my first reading of Nanak's hymns in the Granth