1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Milley Do the Right Thing?

Discussion in 'North American Politics' started by metis, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +27,863
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Okay. let's grant that if he broke the UCMJ that he will have to face a court martial. It does not appear that he broke any of the codes. Pick one that you think that he broke and be specific in your arguments. For example I see that you list "Failure to obey and<sic> lawful order" I do not know of any lawful orders that he disobeyed. I cannot even name an unlawful order that he disobeyed. Once again, be specific in what rules he broke and how.

2. esmith

esmith Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,952
    Religion:
    No name designated at this time.
    As I stated in the pervious post, which you refere to, I have no further information on what did or did not happen except for what CNN reported.
    Therefore I base the 3 articles of the UCMJ on their reporting IMO

3. Ponder This

Ponder This Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +499
    No, General Milley did not do the right thing.

General Milley was not and is not in the chain of command for nuclear weapons. The act of inserting himself into that chain of command is sufficient to have him removed even if his intentions were/are benign. No one can simply insert himself into the chain of command around nuclear weapons. That is not a permissible action.

General Milley may very well have thought Trump was crazy. General Milley might think he's saving the world. For all I know, General Milley thinks Biden has dementia. Is General Milley secretly controlling the nuclear weapons right now, just in case Biden loses it? It is unacceptable.

4. metis

metis aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ratings:
    +17,392
    Religion:
    ecumenical & naturalistic Catholic
    Actually he is even though we don't know the specifics.

This was disclosed during Nixon's final year in office as there was concern he could start a nuclear war on his own, but we were then rest assured that he couldn't actually do that,

A correct assessment.

Again, there are precautions even if we don't know the specifics.

5. ecco

ecco Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +7,881
    Religion:
    atheist
    It's all good.

Bye.

6. Ponder This

Ponder This Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +499
    If he has a legitimate role in the nuclear weapon chain of command that is one thing, but as far as I know, he doesn't have a legitimate role in that. The rightness and wrongness of his actions hinges on that critical point. I think we agree.

7. metis

metis aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ratings:
    +17,392
    Religion:
    ecumenical & naturalistic Catholic
    If he has a "legitimate role", then it's quite probable that he would be involved in any attempt by a president to launch a nuclear attack.

As it stands, we well know that Trump was distraught and was saying some quite bizarre things, according to even McCarthy but some other insiders as well. His constant repetition of the "Big Lie" and his attempt to arm-twist some who conducted the electioneering in four states confirms this.

We should never trust just one person on something like this, and twice we've been told that we don't as a nation.

8. Friend of Mara

Friend of Mara Active Member

Ratings:
    +391
    Religion:
    Spiritual
    Trump got curbed left and right within his own government. Most of the time its because Trump was either asking outlandish things to outright illegal things. Back in the olden years when we impeached him there were quite a number of people whose testimony boiled down to "yes he asked me to do something illegal. No I didn't do it."

• Like Like x 1
  9. esmith

esmith Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,952
    Religion:
    No name designated at this time.
    Fact's vice opinion is needed here.