• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Judas do God's will?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
The animal sacrifice like the mosaic law became obsolete when Christ came to the earth because they were only there as a temporary solution to atonement of sins until Christ had died for all sins.
Not for the Jews. Your statement only works if you buy into Substitutionary Atonement. I do not.
I never mentioned the clergy. I mentioned the fact that he was an apostle.
Apostles are clergy.
He was also to have his name on one of hte foundation stones of the figerative city of New Jerusalem (as the twelve apostles have their names on these) Rev 21:14
Revelation wasn't written until he was dead. He wouldn't have known about that passage.
so this means that there is actually 2 hopes. The Earthly hope which has always been abd then the heavenly hope, which only came into existance after Christs death on the earth.
Even the OT Hebrews hoped to rest in God.
Maybe not until the time was right for this to be revealed by the holy spirit. Ormaybe nobody is bothering to pay attention to the bible, only paying attention to the traditions of men.
Or maybe somebody is paying too much attention to Revelation, instead of the Tradition, which was the guiding force for the early Church and her apostles, to begin with.

lockyfan

Not for the Jews. Your statement only works if you buy into Substitutionary Atonement. I do not.
Fair Enough
Apostles are clergy.
Really how do you come to that conclusion?
Revelation wasn't written until he was dead. He wouldn't have known about that passage.
He knew who Jesus was. He didnt have to know what was coming in store for him, he sinned against the holy spirit by betraying the son of God
Even the OT Hebrews hoped to rest in God.
Where does it say that? the old Hebrews knew God woul remember them for the ressurection, but they also knew that no one would go to heaven because the earth was created for humans and the heavens belong to Jehovah. as Psalms says.
Or maybe somebody is paying too much attention to Revelation, instead of the Tradition, which was the guiding force for the early Church and her apostles, to begin with.
Why pay attention to tradition. Have you seen where the traditions of men have taken this world? up it creek without a paddle thats where!

The scriptures not the tradtionso f humans are what we should follow

Bobby Daniel

I agree with Rheff Dr. Holliday! I too was somewhat taught Judas was the villain - and movies often portray him as such; however, it stands to reason it was the requirement of the sacrifice. I sometimes think the Jewish State is leading us into Armageddon; however, that too is a requirement for the end times. I suppose if Judas brought on the sacrifice of Christ for the redemption of man, those on the dark side would portray Judas as evil, such as you see in most recent movies and documentaries.

whirlingmerc

This might belong in a different spot. But I've been struggling with this one for a while. As you can see, I'm Catholic, but I'm still not sure on this one. We all have freewill, including Judas, but without him betraying Jesus to the HIgh Priests then Jesus wouldn't have died for our sins. I guess my question is, was Judas doing God's will? Was he born for that specific reason? Keep in mind, I understand we all have freewill and he could have chose not to turn on Jesus. But, without his actions, the crucifixtion wouldn't have taken place. Just a thought.

Judas did both. There is a confluence of wills. He did God's will and he followed his own and they didn't do violence to each other
In general there is a confluence of God's will and man's will where God superintends the outcome for His glory (yes I am siding with the Westminster confession on this one)

Good psalms on the matter are 109 110 The Judas epic attacking the poor man is in 109 and the poor man is raised to the right hand of God in 110 where he is seen as the Lord