• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Jesus travel to India in his early years?

Mr Cheese

Dunno...the Christian faith was founded in Indai by St Thomas though...supposedly

Was Jesus in India, maybe....
but then there are many legends...
If you put them all in one place on a map, you coudl argue he had frequent flyer miles.

ericoh2

Dunno...the Christian faith was founded in Indai by St Thomas though...supposedly

Was Jesus in India, maybe....
but then there are many legends...
If you put them all in one place on a map, you coudl argue he had frequent flyer miles.

I didn't know about the Christian faith being founded in India by Thomas although that story does sound familiar. That's interesting if considered with the Legend of Saint Issa.

Mr Cheese

I didn't know about the Christian faith being founded in India by Thomas although that story does sound familiar. That's interesting if considered with the Legend of Saint Issa.

Yes the highly Gnostic text, (modern Gnostics claim it as Gnostic)
the acts of thomas are actually a part of most Indian Thomasine Christian Churches' Bibles.

This of course includes the Hymn of the pearl (also known as the hymn of the robe of glory) which is essentially a retelling of the life of Buddha, but through Middle Eastern Eyes, involvign serpents and Egypt...and of course if you examine this hymn you can begin to see how the life of Buddha is arguably the same as the Life of Christ....

But then Buddhists tend to cling to the idea that Buddha was a real person and the historical story is real.... although the simple fact that the underlying story repeats...makes this assertion questionable..imo

the pattern we have is

Special person, born into privalage
Leaves home
Wanders the world
Forgets who they are
faces trials and temptations
remebers who they are
Returns home.

This of course is the essential pattern of any quest, and can be related to many faiths......

but slightly off topic...my apologies

The Acts of Thomas

Acts of Thomas

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
It's possible that SOMEONE went to India or was exposed to Hindu literature; there's apparently a passage from the Krishna Yajur Veda that's almost word-for-word the opening of the Gospel of John, though I can't find the entire hymn anywhere.

Did Jesus go to India? I don't think that question can ever be finally answered.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I remember hearing this theory some time ago when I first started my search for a historic Jesus. Looking at the teachings of Jesus (or supposed teachings), some eastern religion influence could be argued. However, Egypt (where, according to one Gospel, Jesus was brought to when he was still young), did have a Hindu community. So that could also explain it (if nothing else, it would not have been unlikely for one of the writers of the Gospels to have been exposed to those ideas).

As for Jesus himself going to India, I would have to say that it is unlikely. Looking at his home village of Nazareth, it would have been out of the norm for such travel. That population simply did not have the means to do so, and were, primarily, illiterate peasants. So it would have been a very rare occurrence.

In addition though, Notovitch, the man who brought attention to the story (and possibly created it), possibly never even went to the monastery he claimed he found the evidence from. So it tends to look as if it was a hoax.

Proving it either way would nearly be impossible though, especially considering when historical documents are lacking in the area.

Ozzie

I was described as creeping Jesus this morning, and I like curry. So why not?

Last edited:

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend ericoh,

Did Jesus travel to India in his early years?

Have heard the same and in India most are of the same opinion.
It is also said that Jesus came back to Kashmir after resurrection and lived for many years till his death and his graveyard is suppossed to exists there.

Love & rgds

Ozzie

Friend ericoh,

Have heard the same and in India most are of the same opinion.
It is also said that Jesus came back to Kashmir after resurrection and lived for many years till his death and his graveyard is suppossed to exists there.

Love & rgds
Why isn't the gravesite a tourist attaction? I would surely have visited it in Kashmir.

Ozzie

I remember hearing this theory some time ago when I first started my search for a historic Jesus. Looking at the teachings of Jesus (or supposed teachings), some eastern religion influence could be argued. However, Egypt (where, according to one Gospel, Jesus was brought to when he was still young), did have a Hindu community. So that could also explain it (if nothing else, it would not have been unlikely for one of the writers of the Gospels to have been exposed to those ideas).

As for Jesus himself going to India, I would have to say that it is unlikely. Looking at his home village of Nazareth, it would have been out of the norm for such travel. That population simply did not have the means to do so, and were, primarily, illiterate peasants. So it would have been a very rare occurrence.

In addition though, Notovitch, the man who brought attention to the story (and possibly created it), possibly never even went to the monastery he claimed he found the evidence from. So it tends to look as if it was a hoax.

Proving it either way would nearly be impossible though, especially considering when historical documents are lacking in the area.
Very astute. It seems there is incontrovertible proof that the reputation of Jesus traveled to India.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Ozzie,

Why isn't the gravesite a tourist attaction? I would surely have visited it in Kashmir.

Sorry friend; though had heard it, never verified it personally as finding that illusive *self* is more primary which is HERE-NOW!

Love & rgds

Ozzie

Friend Ozzie,

Sorry friend; though had heard it, never verified it personally as finding that illusive *self* is more primary which is HERE-NOW!

Love & rgds
No worries. India is a big country and I love it.:D

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Ozzie,

Just goggled this:
Could be useful for your tourism purpose:
1. look up this link for the text below

Jesus in India | Tomb of Jesus | Where Did Jesus Die | Jesus in Islam - Al Islam Online
The Kashmir Tomb
The burial place of Jesus in Kashmir is known to the locals as Rauzabal, meaning the Honored Tomb.
It is known as the tomb of Yuz Asaf, which may be of Buddhist derivation (see link) or possibly from Yusu or Yehoshua (Jesus) the Gatherer.
Local tradition states that the entombed was a prophet of Ahle-Kitab, or People of the Book, and his name was Isa - the Quranic name for Jesus.
The prophet Yuz Asaf came to Kashmir from the West (Holy Land) in the reign of Raja Gopdatta (c 1st century A.D) according to the ancient official documents held by the current custodian of the tomb.
Some of the most extensive research on the tomb has been conducted by the now retired famous historian and former Head of Archaelogy for State of Kashmir, Professor Fida Hassnain.
The tomb is Jewish, as attested by the direction the grave is lying. Next to the grave is a footprint engraved in stone, an artistic rendition of the wounds of crucifixion.

and look this up for location and more info.

Rozabal, Srinagar

If you or anyone visiting India; whatever possibly can do personally shall do so without obligations.

Love & rgds

Ozzie

Friend Ozzie,

Just goggled this:
Could be useful for your tourism purpose:
1. look up this link for the text below

Jesus in India | Tomb of Jesus | Where Did Jesus Die | Jesus in Islam - Al Islam Online
The Kashmir Tomb
The burial place of Jesus in Kashmir is known to the locals as Rauzabal, meaning the Honored Tomb.
It is known as the tomb of Yuz Asaf, which may be of Buddhist derivation (see link) or possibly from Yusu or Yehoshua (Jesus) the Gatherer.
Local tradition states that the entombed was a prophet of Ahle-Kitab, or People of the Book, and his name was Isa - the Quranic name for Jesus.
The prophet Yuz Asaf came to Kashmir from the West (Holy Land) in the reign of Raja Gopdatta (c 1st century A.D) according to the ancient official documents held by the current custodian of the tomb.
Some of the most extensive research on the tomb has been conducted by the now retired famous historian and former Head of Archaelogy for State of Kashmir, Professor Fida Hassnain.
The tomb is Jewish, as attested by the direction the grave is lying. Next to the grave is a footprint engraved in stone, an artistic rendition of the wounds of crucifixion.

and look this up for location and more info.

Rozabal, Srinagar

If you or anyone visiting India; whatever possibly can do personally shall do so without obligations.

Love & rgds
Thanks for that. Is there another reputed tomb of Jesus in India?

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
The Tomb of Jesus Website

Ahmmadiya Islam group is the leading proponent of this theory.I see no point in arguing abt this.Anyway,I dont think any christian would accept this.
St Thomas i think is a different story altogether as St Thomas came to south India(Jesus came to kashmir at that time a Buddhist/hindu territory) and there are several locations named after him.

Last edited by a moderator: