• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Jesus smoke weed?

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
TimetoWasteTimeToWait said:
There is most definately proof that they used it as oil, rope, clothing, etc. Now we know the mideast has been solidity supported with hashish for at least the last 400 years and we know long before that it was used for fore mentioned items and known for its euphoric affects due to the fact that when harvested it would permeate into your skin and make you high. Now we don't know for sure if the jews or jesus used it, but the point is everything here is speculation.
Please show the testable evidences that can prove this. Or, in the words of the great state of Missouri, "Show Me".

http://this.is/hot-ice/stadreyndir.vimuefni/Cannabis_Sativa.pdf

theres a few things on there about the use of cannabis and a psychotropic drug for at least a 1000 years in a muslim sect and about trade dating back to the early silk road probably mainly for its fiber. Also evidence of its use in egypt as rope in the funeral dress of Akenaten and in rope in the pyrammids, meaning since it orginated from Afghanistan that it had to have traveled through the middle east to get to egypt long before christ was born.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_(spiritual_use)

Some disputed evidence that mushrooms and cannibis was used as an intoxicate by the jews.

Smoke

Done here.
TimetoWasteTimeToWait said:
The wedding where jesus turned water into wine was in Canaan. A place widely documented for its use of Hashish.
The place you probably have in mind is Cana. Canaan is all of Palestine, including Cana, but it wouldn't have been called Canaan in Jesus' time. I assume Becky was referring to the anachronistic use of the term, not disputing the fact that Jesus lived in the area that's often called Canaan.

bigvindaloo

Jesus likely followed the custom of the place and time. Now if this included smoking the odd hookah, quite possibly they popped something else in from time to time.

Bishka

Veteran Member
bigvindaloo said:
Jesus likely followed the custom of the place and time. Now if this included smoking the odd hookah, quite possibly they popped something else in from time to time.

Which could or could not be possible, I'm leaning towards the not idea.

Booko

Deviled Hen
beckysoup61 said:
Which could or could not be possible, I'm leaning towards the not idea.

Truly. Founders of religions are kinda known for not just following the established norms. That's why they are kinda unpopular in their time.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
MaddLlama said:
Can cannabis actually grow in a desert?
Yes, some strains. But it should also be remembered that the Middle east is really not much of a desert, and in jesus time (and still to this day), there is a "Fertile Arc" running through most of the area.

Being relatively well acquainted with the history of cannibis, I feel confident saying that Jesus did not smoke this drug. Certainly Hashish (a concentrated cannibis derivative) has been smoked there for centuries, but I find little evidence to support it's use culturally during the time of the Roman empire. Most people seem to believe that it has been grown worldwide for a long long time, but that it's original environment was in South East asia, possibly Cambodia, Laos and the like.

It seems to me that this is a weak attempt to justify cannibis use, based on the argument that "If jesus did it, it must be ok". If you believe the plant to have merits and it is legal in your area to use it, please do. If not, you'll have to move for law change and persuade people that the benefits outweigh the risk...

I'd like to understand what you're trying to say? In summary would it be... "Jesus use of cannibis should be used to argue the case for western acceptance of the drug." ??? If so that's fairly weak. Most Europeans no longer accept that Jesus existed, and in any case it is hardly a basis for building regulation and changing decades old narcotics law with so little actually recorded about his life.

Really no agenda just general curiousity. I mean its very possible that he didn't its just that area obviously had used it for clothing, oils, etc. So it was available and maybe in hashish form. There is much speculation at whether or not the Jews used it in the anointing oil, used to bless the anointed one or the Christ which is the meaning of the word. Now like I said there is much debate about the subject including if Jesus' baptizism was actually to wash off the oil after the effects wore off. There are several subtle hints throughout the bible, pretty obvious in churches(especially stain glass windows of the tree of life and of mushrooms.)