• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Jesus smoke weed?

jesus.html

I have read similar information over and over again of the use of mushrooms and cannabis in ancient judaism. Mushrooms were almost definately used by high priests in Judaism and shown by their dress and the semitic practices of the day. Cannabis was widely grown and a common intoxicate of the region during Christs teachings.

Just read and give me your opinions.

http://cannabis.net/articles/jesus-cannabis.html

A

angellous_evangellous

TimetoWasteTimeToWait said:
jesus.html

I have read similar information over and over again of the use of mushrooms and cannabis in ancient judaism. Mushrooms were almost definately used by high priests in Judaism and shown by their dress and the semitic practices of the day. Cannabis was widely grown and a common intoxicate of the region during Christs teachings.

Just read and give me your opinions.

http://cannabis.net/articles/jesus-cannabis.html

I searched scholarly articles for cannabis and Hebrew, and New Testament, and Jesus and it appears that nothing has been done on the topic.

I don't know how it's possible for the writer to claim that the ancient Hebrews knew about cannabis or used it in their annointing oil or rituals.

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
Jesus preached against getting drunk, so I don't know why he would condone the use of a plant that would cause people to lose their senses, hallucinate, etc. Also, Jesus didn't need plants to heal people. All he had to to was put his hands on someone, and they would be healed. Anyhow, this seems awfully far-fetched to me.

Getting drunk and drinking are too different things. Smoking weed and getting retarded are too different things and jesus drank for sure, but i will find some texts.

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
Let's take an honest look at the places where we would find evidence or authority for it's use, and then make a determination.

1) Biblical evidence: There is nothing in the Bible, Tora or other Jewish/Christian texts that supports, either through direct command, example or necessary inference, that Marijuana, Mushrooms or any other plant or herb was used for purposes of hallucinating, getting high, etc.

2) Archeological evidence: There is no physical evidence or scientific research done to support the claim that the people in this area used Marijuana, Mushrooms or any other plant or herb for the purpose of hallucinating, getting high, etc.

The logical conclusion therefore, since there is literally no evidence to suggest otherwise, is that these people did not use these plants and herbs for that purpose, or even that they used them at all.

*On a similar note however, I think that Puff the Magic Dragon is living in northern New Jersey and is addicted to heroin. I have no proof of it, but I did read it on the internet, so it must be true.

Booko

Deviled Hen
angellous_evangellous said:
I searched scholarly articles for cannabis and Hebrew, and New Testament, and Jesus and it appears that nothing has been done on the topic.

I don't know how it's possible for the writer to claim that the ancient Hebrews knew about cannabis or used it in their annointing oil or rituals.

Try the botanical angle and look up cannabis on Wikipedia.

"Cannabis" apparently has Semitic roots. That assumes the material on Wiki is correct, of course.

actually the reason this question pops into my mind is because the things jesus said, according to the scriptures, ring with the words of famous pots smokers of our era and are things i've felt under the influence of marijuana. I believe that a derrangement of the senses can bring you closer to god, thinking gets more clear more concise, more real and definately more sympathetic, compassionate, and loving. It really puts things into perspective. Now pot heads give us a bad name. They are the ones you think of getting retarded and giggling non-stop. But stoners who use it as a tool instead of an intoxicate for serious dicussion that at times is overly funny, but that use it to dicuss things like religion, peace, and find pieces of god through literature, music, art are my people. Have you never heard the subtle scratch as the needle traces the vinyl and felt at home? Have you ever seen the sunrise and felt alive? Have you felt the embrace of your lover and felt safe? Weed does this all in one for me. It brings me home to a place of love when i'm angry, it gives me hope when i have none. You could say its my prayer, the thing that saves me from my mortality, my humaness. The only thing I worship above it is music. As a wise man once said "One good things about music is when it hits you feel no pain.

This smoke, this haze
brings me us closer to god
This liquid, this need
it sets us free

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
TimetoWasteTimeToWait said:
Have you ever seen the sunrise and felt alive? Have you felt the embrace of your lover and felt safe?

Yes, all the time. However, I don't need to be high to enjoy the sensory and emotional pleasures of life.

And, just because Jesus advocated some things that other people who just happen to smoke pot reiterate, doesn't mean that Jesus was having some hash brownies.

The logical conclusion therefore, since there is literally no evidence to suggest otherwise, is that these people did not use these plants and herbs for that purpose, or even that they used them at all.

There is most definately proof that they used it as oil, rope, clothing, etc. Now we know the mideast has been solidity supported with hashish for at least the last 400 years and we know long before that it was used for fore mentioned items and known for its euphoric affects due to the fact that when harvested it would permeate into your skin and make you high. Now we don't know for sure if the jews or jesus used it, but the point is everything here is speculation.

Bishka

Veteran Member
MaddLlama said:
Yes, all the time. However, I don't need to be high to enjoy the sensory and emotional pleasures of life.

And, just because Jesus advocated some things that other people who just happen to smoke pot reiterate, doesn't mean that Jesus was having some hash brownies.

Exactly....ever think that Jesus was actually the Son of God?

First off I didnt say i needed it to experience those things. I was giving examples of how marijuana makes me feel. Those things i feel sober every day. But when I smoke it brings me back to those strong emotions.