• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Jesus say he was God???

Shermana

Heretic
Again with John 20:28.

First off, King David was "worshiped". In Revelation, it says the saints will be "worshiped" by the gentiles.

Also, note that the ending of John completely clashes with that of Matthew and Luke. Where does Jesus first appear to the Disciples? Galilee? Jerusalem? The mountains?

Bernard Muller has good reason for postulating that John originally ended around 20:24. It also makes sense since Thomas would not have been there to receive the Holy Breath if he was a week late.

And even then, what Thomas says, "My Lord and my God", was acknowledged as "An exclamation directed towards God", like OMG, which is NOT a sin breaking the 3rd commandment as modern people believe, for the 3rd commandment is about false vows, not just any use of the word "God".

1robin

Christian/Baptist
So what's the point of putting the Israelite who disobeys Sabbath to death?
Israel was the conduit for his revelation. Stakes do not get any higher. The integrity of that conduit demanded the strictest moral requirements in history. Your ancestors privileges came at great cost and I applaud them for it. The souls of millions depended on their example. When they strayed the nations were in the balance. They had to be unique in all respects. Once their role had been fulfilled to varying degrees the law had served it's purpose. Revelation had been fulfilled in Christ. The living law was among us. The laws purpose was served. It was important until Christ came but for other reasons than are usually cited. Integrity of the revelational conduit was Israel's blessing and curse.

Why does God say that if Israel obeyed one Sabbath and called it a delight that he'd put them in a position of great power?

Why does Nehemiah go so far out of his way to stop the merchants from selling in Jerusalem on Sabbath?

Do you think no one has to do anything God asks in order to earn "Salvation"?
Salvation can't be earned. That is a logical absurdity. We must believe and be born again and through substitutionary atonement we are declared legally righteous just like Abraham before the law even existed.

I have asked several times for details of how you earn heaven. If you want to debate that you must first produce that.

Shermana

Heretic
Salvation can't be earned. That is a logical absurdity.

So when Jesus said your righteousness must exceed the scribes and pharisees and gave a big speech on how to conduct yourself, he should have just said "Ha ha, just kidding, my atonement does all the work for you". Even Paul says it's more than just believing in Jesus, but who needs 95% of what Paul says when two cherry picked lines will do!

I have asked several times for details of how you earn heaven.

I'd say maybe actually listening to what Jesus teaches about it and doing what he says to do, but I find it interesting how most Christians abjectly reject what Jesus teaches.

I do understand why so many Christians come up with non-scriptural ideas of how "works are the fruit of the saved" and twist and cherry pick and ignore and negate and find one way or another to not include personal behavior in how you are judged, even though it explicitly says you'll be changed and weighed, the insecurity must be overwhelming. Why have uncertainty and insecurity when we can have a nice handy "All you have to do is believe in Jesus and the substitution of his atonement" ideology? Well that makes things a whole lot easier than actually having to adhere to all those teachings. And read the epistles all the way through in their correct context.

Verily, as sure as God lives, those who think their works are not important in their "Salvation" will have a nasty surprise awaiting.

Last edited:

1robin

Christian/Baptist
So when Jesus said your righteousness must exceed the scribes and pharisees and gave a big speech on how to conduct yourself, he should have just said "Ha ha, just kidding, my atonement does all the work for you". Even Paul says it's more than just believing in Jesus, but who needs 95% of what Paul says when two cherry picked lines will do!
Well of course he did not use the words you intentionally picked for effect and preference. He did say he forgave all sin. If I have a thousands acts of disobedience does all mean 713 of them, 12 of them, 999.9999999 of them, or does all actually mean all. You have already mention those groups and the claim we must be more righteous than them.

1. Exactly in detail explain just how righteous were they so I can have assurance of my salvation by doing one more good thing than they did.
2. Which one of the scribes is he standard?
3. Which phrase is the standard?
4. What if I have one more wrong act than they in one category, but one more good one in another than they. Do they balance out? Where is the table of what good thing balances out what bad thing?
5. Was Abraham declared righteous because he obey the law more than an arbitrary representative scribe/Pharisee as yet unmentioned? Or by faith?
6. The only way to know your righteousness exceeds these ambiguous groups is to have Christ's righteousness legally accredited to our account through faith. My sins accredited to him and the condemned on the cross. Then all these things you need answers in your system (but do not have them) are taken care of in mine without any damage to the commands at all.
7. How is the guy in this verse saved?

Christ the Only Foundation
…14If any man's work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. 15If any man's work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

Even if you claim this is the dreaded Paul or not. The earliest and there for best textual scholars placed this book in the cannon of apostolic manuscripts and after studying into it a bit I am more convinced that ever Paul wrote it but you must prove Paul did not and whoever did was wrong as well before it can be dismissed.

At this judgement we will be required to account for our lives, motives, character, works, and weaknesses. There will be rewards for obedience but loss for disobedience. Paul describes it this way, “Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; Every man’s work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man’s work of what sort it is. If any man’s work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. If any man’s work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire” (1 Corinthians 3:12-15).
Judgements of mankind

I'd say maybe actually listening to what Jesus teaches about it and doing what he says to do, but I find it interesting how most Christians abjectly reject what Jesus teaches.
No we do not. We reject what some warp what he taught into.

I do understand why so many Christians come up with non-scriptural ideas of how "works are the fruit of the saved" and twist and cherry pick and ignore and negate and find one way or another to not include personal behavior in how you are judged, even though it explicitly says you'll be changed and weighed, the insecurity must be overwhelming. Why have uncertainty and insecurity when we can have a nice handy "All you have to do is believe in Jesus and the substitution of his atonement" ideology? (see below) Well that makes things a whole lot easier than actually having to adhere to all those teachings. And read the epistles all the way through in their correct context.
Until you do anything to show it is wrong, the claim it is, is of no use.
  1. Whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. -- John 3:16
  2. I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live. And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. -- John 11:25-26
  3. Believe on Jesus.
  4. He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life. -- John 3:36
  5. Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life. -- John 6:47
  6. Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved. -- Acts 16:31
Verily, as sure as God lives, those who think their works are not important in their "Salvation" will have a nasty surprise awaiting.
Verse and chapter please. Those who think they can earn a gift purchased only by the blood of Christ will have a far more unpleasant surprise. BTW works do have a roll at judgment but it is not salvation but that is another issue.

I am still waiting for the exact criteria that merits heaven. How can a finite of any type merit an infinite even in theory.

Shermana

Heretic
Before I bother trying to prove to you on your terms (which may be an impossible task because you can define what is "wrong" based on how you see fit), are you agreeing that you do NOT have to listen to Jesus's own words to get into Heaven and that you can get use one verse (whether twisted or in context not being question) in one particular interpretation to completely trump and negate what he says on the issue?

We reject what some warp what he taught into.

Who gets to determine who is warping?

hose who think they can earn a gift purchased only by the blood of Christ will have a far more unpleasant surprise

As sure as God lives, if you think no works are involved with it, you are blasphemously wrong. You preach a doctrine of demons. Satan be well pleased.

Shall we pray for liars to be silenced?

Last edited:

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Before I bother trying to prove to you on your terms (which may be an impossible task because you can define what is "wrong" based on how you see fit), are you agreeing that you do NOT have to listen to Jesus's own words to get into Heaven and that you can get use one verse (whether twisted or in context not being question) in one particular interpretation to completely trump and negate what he says on the issue?
Of course not. You must take Jesus words as they were meant and apply. He said be perfect as God is perfect. Now if you say that is a destination you will not meet your own standard. If you say it is a goal then everything works. My claims make the whole a consistent narrative and a logical rational. Works models make it into an inconstant mess, illogical and impossible and renders Calvary an unnecessary bizarre and macabre adjunct.

Who gets to determine who is warping?
Hopefully the over all narrative, logic coherence, and rational plausibility but in the end it will be God.

As sure as God lives, if you think no works are involved with it, you are blasphemously wrong. You preach a doctrine of demons. Satan be well pleased.

Shall we pray for liars to be silenced?
You may pray as you wish, as I do, but the insult game is not of interest to me.

idea

Question Everything
Please note that only Jews are obligated to observe the Sabbath.

The first day of rest happened during the creation, and applies to all creation....

I keep the sabbath holy, not through "obligation" but because it is a privilege to have a day of rest, meditation, and spiritual renewal.

Do Jewish people look down on the rest of humanity?

1robin

Christian/Baptist
The first day of rest happened during the creation, and applies to all creation....

I keep the sabbath holy, not through "obligation" but because it is a privilege to have a day of rest, meditation, and spiritual renewal.

I agree 100% with this. The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.

Shermana

Heretic
My claims make the whole a consistent narrative and a logical rational. Works models make it into an inconstant mess, illogical and impossible and renders Calvary an unnecessary bizarre and macabre adjunct.

I can make a whole thread about how your non-works models makes it an incoherent, illogical mess, it's as if you either haven't read what Paul says on the matter, you radically twist what Paul and Jesus says on the matter, or you ignore what they say on the matter. Have you even read the Epistles all the way through or is your knowledge of what even Paul says based on a list of "selected verses"? Even Paul's own writings clearly disprove you when you actually read them. Clearly it is you who is not applying what Jesus said properly, as the only way you can get such a Theology from Jesus's teachings, even Paul's, is to twist them in a way that would make a Pretzel look straight.

Believe it or not, your "faith alone" theology is a rather recent theology, and not even all the major Protestant leaders agreed on this completely Lutheran concept that works aren't involved. It just happened to resurge during the Christian revival because they figured a nice easy convenience theology would help the revival.

Shermana

Heretic

The Sabbath is most certainly an obligation on the House of Israel, whom Jesus came alone for.

Do we Jewish people look down on them? Well, Jesus did call the Canaanite woman a dog for a reason. The gentile nations are "counted as dross" by God for a reason. Certain nations aren't even allowed into the congregation. But should it be insulting? No. There's a reason why God selected Jewish souls to do what He commanded to do. It's quite obvious the gentiles are usually all too quick to find excuses to not do so. Though the Rabbis aren't innocent of this either all the time.

idea

Question Everything
Do we Jewish people look down on them? Well, Jesus did call the Canaanite woman a dog for a reason. The gentile nations are "counted as dross" by God for a reason. ....

God calls the Jewish people a few names too when they do stupid things like worship golden cows etc.

I'm curious, for all those who came before Judah (the tribe of Judah is where "Jew" comes from, right?) ... people like Enoch, Noah, Abraham - people who were NOT from the house of Judah because Judah wasn't even born yet... do you look down on them too?

Shermana

Heretic
God calls the Jewish people a few names too when they do stupid things like worship golden cows etc.

I'm curious, for all those who came before Judah (the tribe of Judah is where "Jew" comes from, right?) ... people like Enoch, Noah, Abraham - people who were NOT from the house of Judah because Judah wasn't even born yet... do you look down on them too?

Oh indeed, the Jews lose their status when they reject and neglect the very reason why they are a people "set apart". Jews who commit exile or execution worthy sins are thus in an "inferior" position to those who don't. A gentile who obeys Torah is in a much higher standing than a fully ethnic Jewish Atheist who violates Torah daily.

No one would have reason to look down on them because they were directly obeying the commandments of God.

Likewise, no one should look down on converts or those who adopt the obedience to the Torah.

Even in the Jews' Rabbinical terms, a Noahide-compliant gentile is someone to be respected and held in high esteem.

It's not really necessarily a genetic thing altogether although certain tribes like the Canaanites and Ammonites are definitely barred from entering the assembly by bloodline alone. It's more about actions and acceptance of what God wills.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

Technically that's incorrect because, according to Genesis, God stopped creating before the start of the 7th day.

Sorry, but it is an obligation for Jews since it's a Commandment, not a choice. In Exodus, it states that those who harvested on the Sabbath were to be put to death, although we obviously don't do that and haven't done it for reasons I can give you if you so desire.

"Shabbat" is a day of the week, so if one says "I'll observe the Sabbath on Sunday", that's like saying "I'll observe Saturday on Sunday". Shabbat runs from just prior to sundown Friday night to just after sundown Saturday evening. And yes, we do assume that the Sabbath is for our benefit and, trust me (I'm Jewish :rolleyes: ), it very much is a very welcome relief for those of us who observe it.

No. The Mosaiic Laws are for us only, so if you're a gentile you don't have to worry about obeying the Sabbath Laws. If you choose to do so, that's fine, but you're under no obligation to do so.

BTW, during Jesus' time, there were those who believed in the God of Abraham, and many followed at least some of the Law, and they were generally referred to as "God-fearers". "Fear" in this case does not mean "afraid" but that they were in awe of God.

Back to your question. It would be wrong for us to view gentiles as being inferior in any way since the implication would be that somehow God made you to be defective. Now, my wife thinks I'm defective, but fortunately she's not God.:(

1robin

Christian/Baptist
I can make a whole thread about how your non-works models makes it an incoherent, illogical mess, it's as if you either haven't read what Paul says on the matter, you radically twist what Paul and Jesus says on the matter, or you ignore what they say on the matter. Have you even read the Epistles all the way through or is your knowledge of what even Paul says based on a list of "selected verses"? Even Paul's own writings clearly disprove you when you actually read them. Clearly it is you who is not applying what Jesus said properly, as the only way you can get such a Theology from Jesus's teachings, even Paul's, is to twist them in a way that would make a Pretzel look straight.
Well when you do so and actual show it is, then I will respond. A threat of something is not evidence of anything. I claim you are the one twisting scripture and there are a whole lot more people that would agree with me than you. If you ever get around to the attempt to prove it then we can try and see who is right.

Believe it or not, your "faith alone" theology is a rather recent theology, and not even all the major Protestant leaders agreed on this completely Lutheran concept that works aren't involved. It just happened to resurge during the Christian revival because they figured a nice easy convenience theology would help the revival.
I don't think that is close to true but even if it was it is a genetic fallacy. Faith alone is stated in the NT over and over, and is present in the OT. Is that a recent development? It requires the most strenuous and arbitrary efforts to cut out of the NT as to be an absurd attempt in the same way Jefferson's literally cutting out inconvenient sections of the Bible was.

Shermana

Heretic
I claim you are the one twisting scripture and there are a whole lot more people that would agree with me than you.

Indeed, most Christians in America are of the post-Lutheran mentality, but I fail to see why numbers have anything to do with it. I would say however there are a lot more Catholics who disagree worldwide with your faith-alone mentality.

Shall we pray for the one twisting scripture to be brought to silence?

I am quite confident it is not me who is blaspheming what Jesus and the apostles taught. Even Paul disagrees with you when you read the entirety of his works and don't just take one or two verses from him out of context, especially from controversial and disputed books like Ephesians in an attempt to get around the totality of what he says.

Obviously no matter what interpretations I use in another thread, those like yourself will not accept it and will stick to your own as if my use of scripture is not right no matter what plain reasoning and demonstration of context I use, and that you can just ignore and trump and negate all the things in the text that go against your view. So shall we just ask God to settle the matter for us if he's willing? Otherwise, if not, how am I supposed to convince you exactly when you can just stick to your own interpretation no matter what I say? I've shown on numerous threads now that works are required, even by Paul's own terms, and they simply get ignored, brushed off, and countered with attempts to use one or two cherry picked verses to trump and negate 100 others.

it is a genetic fallacy.

Not really. It's an example of how your interpretation which "many Christians" agree with you is naught but a recent phenomenon.

y. Faith alone is stated in the NT over and over,

And James specifically combats this widespread misconception, he says 5 times in a row how wrong it is.

equires the most strenuous and arbitrary efforts to cut out of the NT

You are quite confused, it is those who cut out vast swaths of the NT to arrive at the faith alone conclusion.

Last edited:

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Indeed, most Christians in America are of the post-Lutheran mentality, but I fail to see why numbers have anything to do with it. I would say however there are a lot more Catholics who disagree worldwide with your faith-alone mentality.
Numbers are never proof but they are very good indicators of truth. Many Catholics do believe in faith alone, but I counted them as neutrals.

Shall we pray for the one twisting scripture to be brought to silence?
Why don't you go ahead and pray for whatever you wish and we will see if I am silenced? In fact I wished you would.

I am quite confident it is not me who is blaspheming what Jesus and the apostles taught. Even Paul disagrees with you when you read the entirety of his works and don't just take one or two verses from him out of context, especially from controversial and disputed books like Ephesians in an attempt to get around the totality of what he says.

Obviously no matter what interpretations I use in another thread, those like yourself will not accept it and will stick to your own as if my use of scripture is not right no matter what plain reasoning and demonstration of context I use, and that you can just ignore and trump and negate all the things in the text that go against your view. So shall we just ask God to settle the matter for us if he's willing? Otherwise, if not, how am I supposed to convince you exactly when you can just stick to your own interpretation no matter what I say? I've shown on numerous threads now that works are required, even by Paul's own terms, and they simply get ignored, brushed off, and countered with attempts to use one or two cherry picked verses to trump and negate 100 others.
So your basically saying you can't carry a debate so why have one.

Not really. It's an example of how your interpretation which "many Christians" agree with you is naught but a recent phenomenon.
No it is a genetic fallacy even if true, which it is not? Faith alone goes back to the earliest church fathers.

And James specifically combats this widespread misconception, he says 5 times in a row how wrong it is.
Nope. James was characterizing what was true of one type of faith versus another from a humans perspective.

You are quite confused, it is those who cut out vast swaths of the NT to arrive at the faith alone conclusion.
Look do you want to debate this or. You seem to concede you will never carry the day but add little pin prick attacks along the way. I have to run a lab and that leaves a finite amount of time left. If you want to debate this your are going to have to make a case for your side. Right now you only seem to be saying "nu-uh".

You must provide.

1. The exact standard of righteousness that must be achieved. Some ambiguous reference to the unknown criteria of what exceeds a random Pharisee or scribe is not it.
2. You must explain how a finite input justifies an infinite gain.
3. Your going to have to provide much better reasons for dismissing Galatians and Paul.

You must do this before you have a case for me to contend with. Let me know if you desire resolving this or not. I can do nothing or dive all the way in. I can't justify the drive by commentaries.

Shermana

Heretic
See, here's what I'm talking about. When James says "Faith alone is dead", you respond with, which is not at all what the text is implying, but is simply a half-truth of the issue:

Nope. James was characterizing what was true of one type of faith versus another from a humans perspective.

James is in fact saying that Faith alone does not save. That's not just human perspective. I've made whole threads about this, where the "Faith alone" side got smacked into orbit.

but they are very good indicators of truth.

The Catholics who believe in Faith Alone simply don't understand their own church's doctrine. Do you want to count numbers from historical methods? They FAR outnumber the Post-Lutherans if we go back to the 2nd century. Numbers are not always good indicators of truth. Why don't you tell me the EXACT way, in your own logic, of how we determine when numbers indicate truth? If not, drop that one.

Okay, here's the issue. I can say "Even Paul says you must not sin or you won't enter the Kingdom", and you 'll respond with "The saved will behave righteously".

I can say "The text says this" and you can read anything you want into the text and make up your interpretation whether the text says it explicitly or not. I can say "The text says that", and you can make up a radical interpretation, insist I'm the one twisting the text and so on. That's one of the major problems with scriptural debate. Anyone can make any interpretation they want, based on any peramaters and goal posts and presumptions. This is why we NEED a moderator in such a debate, someone who can acknowledge what is a solid interpretation and what is a modern age convenience doctrine which skirts around what the text actually says. Otherwise we are left simply saying "nuh uh" to each other, regardless of who has the closer idea.

It's not about me not being able to hold a debate. It's about YOU not being able to hold a debate while dismissing and saying "Nuh uh" to any plain text interpretation that involves going by what the text says. You can read anything you want into it, claim I'm wrong, and that you're right. It just doesn't work like that.

I can say show a verse that says "You shall only eat Vanilla ice cream" and I'll say "The text says you shall only eat vanilla ice cream", and you might say "It's just saying that vanilla ice cream tastes good". Really, every one of your theological objections has no textual basis, and is a post-Lutheran interpretation that in no way goes by the plain reading.

I've offered already to make an on-topic thread on the subject, you're the one who keeps making an issue of it here. I've dealt with people who refuse to put up an argument because they say I'll just brush it off, but here we have a reverse. I already have seen that you have your own way of dismissing and denying.

Now perhaps you would like a MODERATED debate instead, so that when I call you out as not going by what the text says and putting your own spin into it, or denying and dismissing scholarly objections to a point of view, I can demonstrate to you that I'm not just speaking nonsense. And you can do the same for me.

And here's another thing. Let's look at your criteria:

1. The exact standard of righteousness that must be achieved. Some ambiguous reference to the unknown criteria of what exceeds a random Pharisee or scribe is not it.

There is no exact standard! The exact standard is that you must be more righteous than the Pharisees. It's something you just have to have blind faith in and aim to win the race. The standard is to "Win the race". What do you think winning the race means? Do you think its some contest that everyone gets a trophy for, just for competing? If it was as simple as having Christ's righteousness imputed on you for merely believing in him, Paul would have been best to shut up and leave it at that and not warn those who already believed about the penalties of bad behavior. This is an example of you demanding to set the goal posts when it's much more complicated than that.

2. You must explain how a finite input justifies an infinite gain.

Also, we're not even talking about infinite gain. We're talking about "Age-long" gain. Another example of where you are demanding the goalposts to meet your own concept of the criteria in question.

3. Your going to have to provide much better reasons for dismissing Galatians and Paul.

Is there ANY reasoning you will accept to dismiss Paul and the authenticity of Galatians? I can't even get you to accept the kinks with Ephesians.

Maybe I should reverse it on you.

You must:

1. Explain to me why I have to show that there's an EXACT standard other than what Jesus says, and why what Jesus says isn't sufficient, and why one must interpret what Paul says about "Imputed" righteousness in light of EVERYTHING ELSE he says.

2. You must explain why merely believing constitutes infinite gain with no other work involved, in spite of EVERYTHING ELSE Jesus and Paul says.

3. You must explain why Paul SHOULD be accepted as a prophet and why FR Mcguire and the Dutch Radical Critics and the others who agree MUST be dismissed, without resorting to the fallacy of majority.

If you have a problem with that, I suggest you reconsider your own goalpost setting.

So in your case, I will do so under the pretext of a MODERATED one on one, in which we'll pick a moderator we agree is objective. If you object to this, I'll know why.

Last edited:

psychoslice

Veteran Member
The idea of Jesus being God I feel was made to make Christianity stand over all other religions, Jesus saying he was the way the truth the life, if you believe this, then he is the only way, but of course he isn't, but try to tell a Christian that and all hell breaks out.:eek:

Shermana

Heretic
The idea of Jesus being God I feel was made to make Christianity stand over all other religions, Jesus saying he was the way the truth the life, if you believe this, then he is the only way, but of course he isn't, but try to tell a Christian that and all hell breaks out.:eek:

indeed, the Trinity and Modalism may have been indeed an attempt to add to the concept of the supremacy of the proto-orthodox movement, in addition to attracting Pagan converts.