• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Jesus LIE, or is the Bible in error?

Patrick Miron

Patrick4Jesus

This seems to ME, to be a reasonable question given the ever growing multiplicity of faiths and churches

74x12

This seems to ME, to be a reasonable question given the ever growing multiplicity of faiths and churches
No, Jesus Himself is the Truth. Those who keep their eyes on the doings of humanity are like Peter looking at the waves and the wind. He started to sink because of fear. He had taken His eyes from the Truth. Don't you know the world will be filled with turmoil? With the sea and waves roaring? And many will be misled by false prophets who will be like wolves in sheep's clothing? Perplexity will fill the earth. And after Jesus ascended and the apostles were gone; then grievous wolves come in not sparing the flock. But, every sheep that is walking near the Shepherd is safe but the sheep lost on the mountains the wolf may catch.

If we keep our heart stayed (that is trusting) on Him then He will lead and guide us. Drawing near to God. Drawing near to seek His face. He's faithful to His Word to perform His promises. For sure. And heaven and earth will pass away but Jesus Word's will not pass away.

Patrick Miron

Patrick4Jesus
No, Jesus Himself is the Truth. Those who keep their eyes on the doings of humanity are like Peter looking at the waves and the wind. He started to sink because of fear. He had taken His eyes from the Truth. Don't you know the world will be filled with turmoil? With the sea and waves roaring? And many will be misled by false prophets who will be like wolves in sheep's clothing? Perplexity will fill the earth. And after Jesus ascended and the apostles were gone; then grievous wolves come in not sparing the flock. But, every sheep that is walking near the Shepherd is safe but the sheep lost on the mountains the wolf may catch.

If we keep our heart stayed (that is trusting) on Him then He will lead and guide us. Drawing near to God. Drawing near to seek His face. He's faithful to His Word to perform His promises. For sure. And heaven and earth will pass away but Jesus Word's will not pass away.

Ahhhhh, there are literally thousands of non-Catholic -Christian- Churches; each with its OWN freely {and misguided} set of faith-beliefs that fulfill this prophesy..... WHERE my friend in the bible is the "GOD-Approval"; God's stated desire for competing Faiths?

Jesus Shepherd is FOUND in His CC: John 21: 14-17 "This was now the third time that Jesus was revealed to the disciples after he was raised from the dead. [15] When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you." He said to him, "Feed my lambs."
[16] A second time he said to him, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you." He said to him, "Tend my sheep."

[17] He said to him the third time, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, "Do you love me?" And he said to him, "Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you." Jesus said to him, "Feed my sheep."

Then in the ending of Matthews Gospel:

Matt.28 Verses 19 to 20 "

1. [19] {YOU} Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

1. [20] teaching them to observe all that I have commanded YOU and lo, I am with YOU always, to the close of the age."

May Jesus lead all to His Truths, Amen
    Patrick

Mindmaster

Premium Member

I think it's foolish to blame Jesus for what his followers have done. Personally, I don't think Jesus or Jehovah existed nor did they ever. The Bible is more like an Illiad or fairy-tale to me. The thing with fairy tales is that when people retell the story they often change it or take other liberties with it. This freedom of interpretation means and sort of "divine word from god" nonsense is laughable at best. I doubt we have one copy of those texts that hasn't been completely mangled.

Different groups arrogantly took it upon themselves to fill all the holes in the story, obviously. When two didn't agree they just split up and tried to out-market the other. It doesn't matter so much if your are right, but RIGHT now. If you get my drift. Of course, that still does nothing to address the first problem. They have no idea what they're fighting over any more than you or I. :D

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon

I don't believe for one minute that Jesus lied. The Bible is a collection of books, authored by many different people over a few thousand years, compiled by other people, translated by still other people and preserved by still other people and interpreted to day by as many as 30,000 different groups of people. Does it contain truth? Absolutely. Is it inerrant? Hardly. Any time people are involved in something, there are going to be errors.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I don't believe for one minute that Jesus lied. The Bible is a collection of books, authored by many different people over a few thousand years, compiled by other people, translated by still other people and preserved by still other people and interpreted to day by as many as 30,000 different groups of people. Does it contain truth? Absolutely. Is it inerrant? Hardly. Any time people are involved in something, there are going to be errors.
You wrote what I believe.

Phantasman

He did if you are Jewish, Muslim, etc.

For me the Spirit never lies (Spirit of Truth) that made Jesus the Christ. The Bible has many errors, and I don't see it as the Word of God the Father. It was created by imperfect man (4th century). Before that there were many Spiritually written books, many destroyed (or attempted to destroy) by the new Catholic Church of Rome.

Each book can be Spiritually interpreted to be truth of the Spirit to the reader. This is seeking (Spirit knowledge).

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
The church, in the New Testament, is called the Church of God. Jesus mentions church, and that really can only mean that church. That is the 'first church', that we get, textually.
Different churches, all the same church, here, were in different regions. That is the "Church", that is being referenced, in the Bible.

Last edited:

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
He did if you are Jewish, Muslim, etc.

For me the Spirit never lies (Spirit of Truth) that made Jesus the Christ. The Bible has many errors, and I don't see it as the Word of God the Father. It was created by imperfect man (4th century). Before that there were many Spiritually written books, many destroyed (or attempted to destroy) by the new Catholic Church of Rome.

Each book can be Spiritually interpreted to be truth of the Spirit to the reader. This is seeking (Spirit knowledge).

You are free to post a quote that shows Muhammad said Jesus Lied? You will not find one.

The discussion above twigged a memory of something I read from Baha'u'llah about no one knowing which way to turn for the truth. I had a look and found the quote;

"...What oppression" is more grievous than that a soul seeking the truth, and wishing to attain unto the knowledge of God, should know not where to go for it and from whom to seek it? For opinions have sorely differed, and the ways unto the attainment of God have multiplied. This oppression" is the essential feature of every Revelation. Unless it cometh to pass, the Sun of Truth will not be made manifest. For the break of the morn of divine guidance must needs follow the darkness of the night of error. For this reason, in all chronicles and traditions reference hath been made unto these things, namely that iniquity shall cover the surface of the earth and darkness shall envelop mankind......" Baha'u'llah : The Kitab-i-Iqan

Peace be upon you

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In what way? Chapter and verse and perceived error?

Matthew 16:15 to 18 is in line with the question;

15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?

16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

This is the foundation of the Catholic Church, or so that is how I understand that passage. Of course I do not see it as a lie, but others may observe differently.

Peace be with you

Ellen Brown

Matthew 16:15 to 18 is in line with the question;

15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?

16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

This is the foundation of the Catholic Church, or so that is how I understand that passage. Of course I do not see it as a lie, but others may observe differently.

Peace be with you

I am a non-trinitarian, and obstinate about that. I see no issue with the passage.

Axe Elf

Prophet
Yeah, I'm not getting the problem either. Jesus said that His church would be built upon the "rock" of confession that He is the Christ and the Son of the living God--and I do not know of any Christian churches or denominations that are not grounded in agreement upon that one single principle. Any that are not would have to be regarded as heretical.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Ahhhhh, there are literally thousands of non-Catholic -Christian- Churches; each with its OWN freely {and misguided} set of faith-beliefs that fulfill this prophesy..... WHERE my friend in the bible is the "GOD-Approval"; God's stated desire for competing Faiths?

Jesus Shepherd is FOUND in His CC: John 21: 14-17 "This was now the third time that Jesus was revealed to the disciples after he was raised from the dead. [15] When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you." He said to him, "Feed my lambs."
[16] A second time he said to him, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you." He said to him, "Tend my sheep."

[17] He said to him the third time, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, "Do you love me?" And he said to him, "Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you." Jesus said to him, "Feed my sheep."

• [19] {YOU} Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

1. [20] teaching them to observe all that I have commanded YOU and lo, I am with YOU always, to the close of the age."

Patrick

According to my understanding, in the Baha’i faith “the age” is considered to be ended

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Yeah, I'm not getting the problem either. Jesus said that His church would be built upon the "rock" of confession that He is the Christ and the Son of the living God--and I do not know of any Christian churches or denominations that are not grounded in agreement upon that one single principle. Any that are not would have to be regarded as heretical.

My understanding of the post was that the Church has split and it has split because of many aspects of disagreement. Jesus the Christ brought One Faith, where love for each other is paramount, so does a split mean that the gates of hell have prevail against it, or not?

Now what does it mean that Jesus is the Christ (Anointed One). This passage has split the church in that it needed a man made doctrine to clarify what they could not understand, this was an addition to the Bible to which Christ has said;

Deuteronomy 4:2 "You shall not add to the word which I am commanding you, nor take away from it, that you may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you."

I see a true understanding of Christ will hold back the gates of hell, I see that hell as human input into the Word of God as given by Jesus the Christ.

Peace be with you and all.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
I expect once when he was younger, his mother asked him, Now son, have you washed your hands? And he said, Yep. But he hadn't.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

How would this be evidence for Jesus lying? The multipicity of faiths and churches is a very human egocentric thing and does not reflect anything Jesus said. Also egocentric claims by churches that they are the only 'rue' church, and others don't make the cut, like the belief of the Roman Church.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

• [19] {YOU} Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

Patrick

I am not sure where your going with this. Your intent seems to sensationalist hyperbole to justify what you believe,

What do you mean did Jesus lie?