• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Jesus have any ideologies?

Orontes

Master of the Horse
I was just wondering if Jesus had any ideological thinking, because I can't think of any?

Ideology isn't a term one typically associates with the Classical Era or antiquity in general. It is concept that came about during the Enlightenment. How are you using or thinking of 'ideological thinking'? Are you asking if there was any larger system of belief in which Jesus' positions existed? Are you asking if his views were exclusivistic? Are you using ideological per the Greek eidos?

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Ideology isn't a term one typically associates with the Classical Era or antiquity in general. It is concept that came about during the Enlightenment. How are you using or thinking of 'ideological thinking'? Are you asking if there was any larger system of belief in which Jesus' positions existed? Are you asking if his views were exclusivistic? Are you using ideological per the Greek eidos?
I am not as smart as you about this. I was just wandering if he had any philosophies that some people just straight up disagreed with, or something like that.

eik

I am not as smart as you about this. I was just wandering if he had any philosophies that some people just straight up disagreed with, or something like that.
I think his big idea was the restoration of the kingdom of God. He asserted he was sent to the lost sheep of Israel to restore them to the kingdom of God. The kingdom of God was said to be within a person, so he came to restore to people what they had lost by being deprived of it by the rule of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law. The kingdom of God was experienced by being born again. The kingdom of God was said to have come upon the Israelites by the casting out of devils.

And yet his kingdom was never a political kingdom relating to this world, but a spiritual kingdom to be fulfilled in the next.

After his death and resurrection, it was extended to the Gentiles.

Orontes

Master of the Horse
I was just wandering if he had any philosophies that some people just straight up disagreed with, or something like that.

Jewry at the time of Jesus was not a unified. There were various sects and postures each competing with each other. According to the Gospel narratives Jesus often criticized some of these groups that were in and around Jerusalem: the Pharisees, the scribes, the Sadducees are examples. He challenged authority claims and/or charged them with hypocrisy. There were at least two areas where Jesus either lost support or garnered enemies. One was the assumption Jesus as the Messiah would be a political figure. When his message moved away from the temporal, as with the sermon at Capernaum ( John 6), many left him. The other was His claim of divinity. This is what led to his condemnation during the night trial with the Sanhedrin and in front of the High Priest Caiaphas.