• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

did jesus have a soul?

steelblue75

ok had to ask this one because of a response to another thread but bear with me....
1. if you believe jesus was the son of god did he have a soul?
2. if you believe jesus was god made flesh does that mean god has a soul?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
steelblue75 said:
ok had to ask this one because of a response to another thread but bear with me....
1. if you believe jesus was the son of god did he have a soul?
I believe He was the Son of God and that He had a soul. (Actually, I typically use the word "spirit" as you have used the word "soul." My belief is that a physical body plus a spirit makes a living soul.)

2. if you believe jesus was god made flesh does that mean god has a soul?
Well, I believe that He was God made flesh, but I think you're implying that He was the same individual as His Father, which I don't believe. Anyway, I also believe that God the Father has a spirit and is a living soul.

Where are you going with these questions? :confused: I'm curious.

steelblue75

Katzpur said:
I believe He was the Son of God and that He had a soul. (Actually, I typically use the word "spirit" as you have used the word "soul." My belief is that a physical body plus a spirit makes a living soul.)

Well, I believe that He was God made flesh, but I think you're implying that He was the same individual as His Father, which I don't believe. Anyway, I also believe that God the Father has a spirit and is a living soul.

Where are you going with these questions? :confused: I'm curious.

basically trying to figure out what people consider a soul if it has to do with being a living being as you said or if a soul doesnt need to come from a living body... just wondering where people stand on that

Crusher777

God is a spirit. Jesus definately had a soul. Jesus is a part of the Trinity. He was 100% God and 100% man. Not 50/50.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
steelblue75 said:
basically trying to figure out what people consider a soul if it has to do with being a living being as you said or if a soul doesnt need to come from a living body... just wondering where people stand on that
I see. Well then, I'll add this: I believe that all life was created spiritually before it was created physically, and that all life (including plant life) contains some form of spirit. That is not to say that the spirits of plants are the same as the spirits of animals, or that the spirits of animals are the same as the spirits of human beings. But in each case, the spirit is a life force.

steelblue75

Crusher777 said:
God is a spirit. Jesus definately had a soul. Jesus is a part of the Trinity. He was 100% God and 100% man. Not 50/50.

not really sure how that would be possible but ok im gonna take that as a yes to 1 and a no to 2 then ... would that be accurate?

SunMessenger

Catholic
In another post I made this statement that seems to apply here as well :

Passion means to me the soul. The inner place that in Jesus was unsoiled. Immaculate in fact might be a better word. New as in birth . Fresh as in now. The center of ones entire being which for Jesus was Divine. Divine Passion would be perfection personified by purity and innocence in every way . That deep part of the soul that is the place where the seeds of true love and caring are nurtured. From this nurture comes a Divine Soul. Unspoiled and unwavering in conviction. The Best that The Best can be. The all of that which is best in both love and devotion. Some things are nearly impossible to describe in words. Love as deep as the universe coated with the armor of Divinity. I cant say much more as there seems to be a lack of words in my vocabulary to describe it any better. Thank You... I will never forget the Passion of Jesus...

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
That kinda depends on how we're defining a 'soul'. For the general orthodox Christian definition (As I understand it), that of a seperate spiritual being or essence, I'd have to say no for both.

1) I don't believe Jesus was god, nor do I believe in a soul. (As defined above, at least)
2) I believe God is above any human descriptions or concepts, including that of a 'soul'. How can God be cleanly divided into two, or seperated from anything?

@SM: I just caught that. Very interesting... :)

steelblue75

SunMessenger said:
In another post I made this statement that seems to apply here as well :

Passion means to me the soul. The inner place that in Jesus was unsoiled. Immaculate in fact might be a better word. New as in birth . Fresh as in now. The center of ones entire being which for Jesus was Divine. Divine Passion would be perfection personified by purity and innocence in every way . That deep part of the soul that is the place where the seeds of true love and caring are nurtured. From this nurture comes a Divine Soul. Unspoiled and unwavering in conviction. The Best that The Best can be. The all of that which is best in both love and devotion. Some things are nearly impossible to describe in words. Love as deep as the universe coated with the armor of Divinity. I cant say much more as there seems to be a lack of words in my vocabulary to describe it any better. Thank You... I will never forget the Passion of Jesus...

yup that was the post i was talking about... kinda got the question in my mind

Bishka

Veteran Member
Did Jesus have a soul?

What a silly question (I'm teasing you):slap: ! Of course he did.

steelblue75

ok... got some posts and now another question has popped into my head.... if im not mistaken didnt jesus accend bodily into heaven? if he had a soul what was the purpose of him ascending bodily? to an atheist that is all they need to say it was convenient because no proof would be available... a produce the body of christ thing... if he had a soul why not just the soul accend? why did the body need to ascend to? most agree the body was just a vessel

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I 1st read it as did Jesus have soul? This mental image of him came to mind..

Attachments

• jesus-sunglasses.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 283

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
steelblue75 said:
ok... got some posts and now another question has popped into my head.... if im not mistaken didnt jesus accend bodily into heaven? if he had a soul what was the purpose of him ascending bodily? to an atheist that is all they need to say it was convenient because no proof would be available... a produce the body of christ thing... if he had a soul why not just the soul accend? why did the body need to ascend to? most agree the body was just a vessel
From my perspective, the physical body is not inferior to the spirit. I believe that Christ's spirit left His body at death (as is the case when any living thing dies), and that it existed as a cognizant entity independent of His body for the three days during which His body lay in the tomb. Then, on the third day after His death, His spirit re-entered His body, giving His body new, everlasting life. It was in this resurrected state that He ascended into Heaven and it is in this resurrected state that His exists today.

Scott1

steelblue75 said:
if he had a soul what was the purpose of him ascending bodily?
Jesus, like all men, experienced death and in his soul joined the others in the realm of the dead. But he descended there as Savior, proclaiming the Good News to the spirits imprisoned there.... he ascended bodily, just as we pray to one day, to prepare a place for us.... so he said.:)

By the expression "He descended into hell", the Apostles' Creed confesses that Jesus did really die and through his death for us conquered death and the devil "who has the power of death" (Heb 2:14). In his human soul united to his divine person, the dead Christ went down to the realm of the dead. He opened heaven's gates for the just who had gone before him.
Today a great silence reigns on earth, a great silence and a great stillness. A great silence because the King is asleep. The earth trembled and is still because God has fallen asleep in the flesh and he has raised up all who have slept ever since the world began. . . He has gone to search for Adam, our first father, as for a lost sheep. Greatly desiring to visit those who live in darkness and in the shadow of death, he has gone to free from sorrow Adam in his bonds and Eve, captive with him - He who is both their God and the son of Eve. . . "I am your God, who for your sake have become your son. . . I order you, O sleeper, to awake. I did not create you to be a prisoner in hell. Rise from the dead, for I am the life of the dead."
Ancient Homily for Holy Saturday

Immaculata pray for us.

SunMessenger

Catholic
Scott1 said:
Jesus, like all men, experienced death and in his soul joined the others in the realm of the dead. But he descended there as Savior, proclaiming the Good News to the spirits imprisoned there.... he ascended bodily, just as we pray to one day, to prepare a place for us.... so he said.:)

By the expression "He descended into hell", the Apostles' Creed confesses that Jesus did really die and through his death for us conquered death and the devil "who has the power of death" (Heb 2:14). In his human soul united to his divine person, the dead Christ went down to the realm of the dead. He opened heaven's gates for the just who had gone before him.
Today a great silence reigns on earth, a great silence and a great stillness. A great silence because the King is asleep. The earth trembled and is still because God has fallen asleep in the flesh and he has raised up all who have slept ever since the world began. . . He has gone to search for Adam, our first father, as for a lost sheep. Greatly desiring to visit those who live in darkness and in the shadow of death, he has gone to free from sorrow Adam in his bonds and Eve, captive with him - He who is both their God and the son of Eve. . . "I am your God, who for your sake have become your son. . . I order you, O sleeper, to awake. I did not create you to be a prisoner in hell. Rise from the dead, for I am the life of the dead."
Ancient Homily for Holy Saturday

Immaculata pray for us.
Amen...