• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Jesus exist?

eldios

https://www.indy100.com/article/historians-are-questioning-if-jesus-ever-existed-at-all-7801396

I am of the opinion a guy called Jesus did exist 2000 years ago, but the gospel accounts of his life are highly exaggerated or pure fantasy.

There were many servants of God who testified to every word formed in their minds from information called Christ. However, there names were not English names because they didn't have the language called English back then. All the names of God's servants were translated into the English language except for my name, which is an original English name. He used my body for His purpose to reveal everything there is to know about the Truth during this second witness of the millennium reign of Christ.

MJFlores

https://www.indy100.com/article/historians-are-questioning-if-jesus-ever-existed-at-all-7801396

I am of the opinion a guy called Jesus did exist 2000 years ago, but the gospel accounts of his life are highly exaggerated or pure fantasy.

Did Jesus exist? Yes, he did.

Among followers of Judaism, Jesus is viewed as having been the most influential, and consequently the most damaging, of all false messiahs. However, since the traditional Jewish belief is that the messiah has not yet come and the Messianic Age is not yet present, the total rejection of Jesus as either messiah or deity has never been a central issue for Judaism.
Judaism's view of Jesus - Wikipedia
upload_2017-6-23_20-6-45.jpeg

The Jews don't deny Jesus exists, in fact they regard him as the most influential, and consequently the most damaging, of all false messiahs.

In Islam, Isa ibn Maryam (Arabic: عيسى بن مريم‎, translit. ʿĪsā ibn Maryām,lit. 'Jesus, son of Mary'‎), or Jesus, is understood to be the penultimate prophet and messenger of Allah (God) and al-Masih, the Arabic term forMessiah (Christ), sent to guide the Children of Israel (banī isrā'īl in Arabic) with a new revelation: al-Injīl (Arabic for "the Gospel"). Jesus is believed to be a prophet who neither married nor had any children and is reflected as a significant figure, being found in the Quran in 93 ayaat (Arabic for verses) with various titles attached such as "Son of Mary", "Spirit of God", and the "Word of God" among other relational terms, mentioned directly and indirectly, over 187 times. Jesus is the most mentioned person in the Quran; 25 times by the name Isa, 3rd-person 48 times, 1st-person 35 times, the rest as titles and attributes.
Jesus in Islam - Wikipedia
images

The Muslims don't deny Jesus exists, in fact Jesus is the most mentioned person in the Quran than Mohammed.

upload_2017-6-23_20-18-21.jpeg

JJ50

There were many servants of God who testified to every word formed in their minds from information called Christ. However, there names were not English names because they didn't have the language called English back then. All the names of God's servants were translated into the English language except for my name, which is an original English name. He used my body for His purpose to reveal everything there is to know about the Truth during this second witness of the millennium reign of Christ.

Some people have a very good imagination!

The Holy Bottom Burp

Just a couple of 'technical' issues with that article, Bart Ehrman does NOT claim that Jesus didn't exist as a real person, in fact he has debated Robert Price on the subject, very much on the side of Jesus being an historical character. You can find it on YouTube if you're interested.
Richard Carrier is a scholar who makes a plausible case (though by no means compelling) for Jesus being a myth, but at the end of the day I find the debate a tad pointless, with the separation of 2000 years the "smoking gun" stopped smoking a long time ago, we just don't know.
As somebody has already pointed out, if he was an invented character, they went to a lot of trouble to make him fit the messiah bill. I like what Hitchins said, why would they make up the story of a census that required people to go back to their place of birth, just to put Jesus in Bethlehem if he didn't exist? Just start him off being born in Bethlehem, right? Why the daft convoluted back story?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
The existence of a wandering preacher that taught the ideas attributed to Jesus is not only likely, it is almost certain. We have several examples of such. We also have many examples of political or religious leaders with the name Yeshua. So there mere existence of a *person* is not too much of a stretch.

Now, of course, the stories about this person were elaborated and changed (not just by Paul, by the way---the Gnostics have a very different traditional than the Pauline). Paul changed the teachings in a way to make them more attractive to the Romans and thereby started the religion.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Reza Aslan's book Zealot does a very good job of putting the Jesus story into a historical context. He bases most of his material on Josephus' history and is well worth the read.

DavidFirth

Challenging someone to 'prove' what was offered as opinion is adolescent.

No. He said "but the gospel accounts of his life are highly exaggerated or pure fantasy" after expressing his opinion.

I challenged him to prove it. If he can't then this is also his highly disputed opinion.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Its a good question, although it was discussed recently enough that a lot of posters are tired of it; so you may not get the dialogue your topic deserves.

Here are some older threads with the same topic that may interest you:
What physical written accounts and proof do we have that Jesus existed?
Jesus Never Existed
Did Jesus actually exist as a historical figure?
Histocracy of Christ
The historical Jesus issue is not settled.
No overwhelming historical proof: Why I doubt Jesus
https://www.rehttps://www.religiousforums.com/threads/there-were-two-jesus-of-the-bible.157613/
Was Jesus an alien from another planet?

Please G-d no.

Not again.
Heh heh heh. Yep!

That's nice, but be advised that (a) the topic has been raise here incessantly, and (b) this iteration shows little chance of being more than a tiresome rerun. Sorry.
I think we passed 'Incessantly' about five years ago.

Theweirdtophat

I believe he did, along with a lot of the other deities. I don't believe he was the son of God or God himself. but that doesn't mean he doesn't exist I believe he was in line of King David and knew certain powers though

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
He was born in Bethlehem---He was pierced through---they gambled for His clothing and cast l lots for His outer garment---none of his bones were broken.

There are others but it is statistically impossible for anyone to fulfill 4 prophecies.
Hi, is it possible people looked back after he left Earth and made those 4 claims about him? Perhaps he was crucified in his clothes, was not pierced and his legs were actually broken. His body is stolen or buried in a unknown location, and later writers looking through the Torah assign the 4 prophecies to Jesus, peace be upon him.

The Holy Bottom Burp

Hi, is it possible people looked back after he left Earth and made those 4 claims about him? Perhaps he was crucified in his clothes, was not pierced and his legs were actually broken. His body is stolen or buried in a unknown location, and later writers looking through the Torah assign the 4 prophecies to Jesus, peace be upon him.
I think you've discovered the flaw in the argument there mate! ;)

Akivah

I'm of the opinion that the character commonly known as jesus, never actually lived or existed. The storybook character is simply an amalgamation of the existing cults of the time (Mithra and Baccus). The stories about him in the christian bible portray the character as a criminal, so he wasn't a shining example of anything.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
If the guy was the promised 'Messiah' why did most Jews not recognise him as such, and are still looking for it to put in an appearance?

In a nut shell, they wanted a "political" Messiah. Many wanted Jesus to set up the kingdom government of God right then and there for their own selfish reasons. One Jew told me he was Not looking for Messiah's appearance.