• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Jesus die and rise from the dead?

Tacitus (a.d. 55-120), the greatest early Roman historian, wrote that Christus (Greek for Christ) had lived during the reign of Tiberius and “suffered under Pontius Pilate, that Jesus’ teachings had already spread to Rome; and that Christians were considered criminals and tortured in a variety of ways, including crucifixion.”[18]

None of those are actual acknowledgements of Christ himself, but rather descriptions of the early Christians and a brief synopsis of their beliefs which of course would include Christ.

Are you convincing yourself that the truth is a lie and Vice Versa? You can't argue with the facts about Jesus is especially if presented by His own foes.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Tacitus (a.d. 55-120), the greatest early Roman historian, wrote that Christus (Greek for Christ) had lived during the reign of Tiberius and “suffered under Pontius Pilate, that Jesus’ teachings had already spread to Rome; and that Christians were considered criminals and tortured in a variety of ways, including crucifixion.”[18]

Are you convincing yourself that the truth is a lie and Vice Versa? You can't argue with the facts about Jesus is especially if presented by His own foes.

The only existing facts are the acknowledgements made of early Christians and their beliefs. Otherwise you cant argue from silence as to whether Christ himself existed or not as an actual person from the archaeological record as it stands for the moment.

sooda

Veteran Member
I believe mythic means not verifiable by written history from the time of the event. In that sense the Bible is mythic because most of it was written after the events. However even written history is sometimes not very reliable since the authors sometimes deify existing people to stay in their good graces.

I believe it is different with God inspired text. It doesn't matter if it is written at the time or not because God knows everything that occurred throughout time. That is what makes the text valid.

mythic

Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Wikipedia.
myth·i·cal
(mĭth′ĭ-kəl) also myth·ic (-ĭk)
adj.
1. Of or existing in myth: the mythical unicorn.
2. Imaginary; fictitious.
3. often mythic Of, relating to, or having the nature of a myth: a novel of profound, almost mythic consequence.

The only existing facts are the acknowledgements made of early Christians and their beliefs. Otherwise you cant argue from silence as to whether Christ himself existed or not as an actual person from the archaeological record as it stands for the moment.

That is a non-Christian source sir, and all those others too are non-Christian sources.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I believe the nail prints testify otherwise.
You have one tale that includes nail prints, and hundreds of others who claim to have seen him who didn't remark on any nail prints. Apparently when Jesus appeared, he still had to give proofs that he was alive!!! (Acts 1:3) So you tell me which you are going to give more emphasis to, which verse is more likely to be legend, and which more likely to be history.

Riders

No, we do have historical accounts of crucifixion. The stories only show up in the Christian side. The burden of proof has been provided by those that state that Jesus was almost certainly not buried. Or entombed or whatever way one wants to state it. Once again, if I claim my rock floated away the burden of proof is upon me since that is out of the ordinary. The ordinary is well supported. To claim something else puts the burden of proof upon the person making the out of the ordinary claim.

We have physical proof of the crucifixions. We have a the dried out heal of one of the Messiahs of the Messiah movement still nailed to a piece of wood used in the crucifixion. We have historical accounts of many crucifixions.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
There are many other Gods and Godesses connected to Jesus, virgin birth and messiah dyeing for my sins being resurrected is an old tale from many others before him.
Not connected to Jesus. Jesus did not claim to be a Pagan-Christ. Jesus was a Jew and he claimed to be a Messiah whatever it is in Moses' Religion.
Pagan-Christ is the concept that Paul of Tarsus aka Paul imported from the Pagans of other nations, it has got nothing to do with Jesus and his being a Messiah of the religion of Moses that was to come for internal reformation of Judaism, not out of it.
Jesus did not die on the Cross and so there is no question of his resurrection from the dead.
Judaism did not believe that their Messiah would be a god, son of god or anything like that. Right, please?

Regards

sooda

Veteran Member
We have physical proof of the crucifixions. We have a the dried out heal of one of the Messiahs of the Messiah movement still nailed to a piece of wood used in the crucifixion. We have historical accounts of many crucifixions.

Dried out Heel? Hogwash.

Milton Platt

It appears all the apostle were willing to hold that belief till death

Watergate had only a matter of 5 weeks or so before the whole lot of em were singing like canaries or incriminated various ways

Well, we have nothing but anonymous texts and no way to verify the claim, so.......

Milton Platt

Nobody disputes that crucifixion was a form of Roman punishment.

Milton Platt

How did you determine who the dried out heal belonged to and how it got nailed to a piece of wood?

Milton Platt

The thing is God raised Jesus Christ from the dead.

Acts 2:24; Acts 3:15; Acts 4:10; Acts 5:30; Acts 13:30

Acts 10:39-43 New International Version (NIV)
“We are witnesses of everything he did in the country of the Jews and in Jerusalem. They killed him by hanging him on a cross, but God raised him from the dead on the third day and caused him to be seen. He was not seen by all the people, but by witnesses whom God had already chosen—by us who ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead. He commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he is the one whom God appointed as judge of the living and the dead. All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.”

View attachment 28464

If you were on trial in court, and there were witnesses that said you committed the crime, but you could not cross examine any of them or even prove they existed, should we convict you on their supposed word?

Milton Platt

A yearly death would be taking back Jesus' ransom sacrifice for us.
This is why Hebrews 9:27-28 informs us 'appointed to die once'.....
In other words, Jesus sacrifice for us was better than any animal sacrifice could be - Hebrew 9:23-25.

In the Greek I do Not find the word 'daylight' at John 11:9-10, but just 12 hours of the day. Day as in 1/2 of 24 hours.
It gets muddy. For the Jews, a day began at sundown and ended at the following sundown.