1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Did Jesus die and rise from the dead?

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by whirlingmerc, Apr 21, 2019.

1. JJ50

JJ50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    Sadly I believed all that to be true when I was a kid I thank my lucky stars I soon realised none of it was credible and I lost my faith. I am now 69 and haven't missed it. I do challenge those who claim it is true when they cannot provide evidence to back it up.

2. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +916
    Religion:
    Christian
    I believe the reports are factual nd the Holy Spirit confirms them. Myths have no backing by the Holy Spirit.

3. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +916
    Religion:
    Christian
    I believe I am enough evidence for anyone who wishes but the truth is that some would wish me to never exist.

4. JJ50

JJ50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    The hs is another myth, imo. I have met people claiming to be 'spirit filled' who were highly unpleasant and very untrustworthy.

5. sojourner

sojourner Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

Ratings:
    +3,901
    Religion:
    Christian/Shamanic
    You’re misunderstanding what is meant by “mythic.” “Mythic” doesn’t mean “a fake story.” Mythic stories speak truth in a way that is larger-than-life. Augustus was presented as larger-than-life. So was Jesus. Both were deified, Augustus by being proclaimed a state deity, and Jesus by virtue of resurrection.

6. Kilk1

Kilk1 Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Religion:
    Christian
    Lol, would you have preferred me just to quote the book?

7. Kilk1

Kilk1 Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Religion:
    Christian
    You didn't answer "Yes" or "No," but I'm guessing that by calling the accounts "highly mythic" (and thus not real), you're extending that to the two mainstream statements I've mentioned. Is this correct?

8. sojourner

Ratings:
    +3,901
    Religion:
    Christian/Shamanic
    “Mythic” =/= “not real.” “Mythic” = “larger-than-life.” Doesn’t mean they did or didn’t happen. It just means that the stories point to a wider perspective of meaning.

9. Prince Mthembu

Ratings:
    +0
    Religion:
    Christian
    They support the gospels with many Other documents within the 1st century at least 50 years within the post resurrection era. Had you had gone through the whole note thoroughly as you should have with all other links I've been supplying, you would've noticed it said there are more than 36k letters of the 1st century in agreement with the gospels.

These references have more mention of Jesus than any other name including Augustas. I can provide evidence but it's your responsibility to make an effort of how genuine it is. Is possible that the Roman world could have easily mentioned a hoax more than any other real stories during those days? it doesn't make any sense at all.

Did Jesus Rise From the Dead? - Page 10 of 10 - Y-Jesus.com

10. Prince Mthembu

Ratings:
    +0
    Religion:
    Christian
    A test that proves the Bible to be a lie would do.

Let's focus on the evidence for Jesus otherwise this one is a whole new topic by itself

11. Prince Mthembu

Ratings:
    +0
    Religion:
    Christian
    I've accepted everyone, it'd be silly of me not to. In the very same note - only one can be true and to me that's Jesus

12. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +13,769
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Please give specific examples. I am not going to an apologist source. Since apologists tend to be liars for the Bible I find no value at all in their articles.

13. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +13,769
    Religion:
    Atheist
    And you just contradicted yourself.

14. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +13,769
    Religion:
    Atheist
    What do you mean by "a lie"? If you mean a test that would show that parts of the Bible are false then that has already happened.

Your test is poorly defined and therefore fails as written. If you try to claim that parts of the Bible have not been shown to be wrong then you fail by not understanding either the Bible or reality.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Kilk1

Kilk1 Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Religion:
    Christian
    There can be truth in mythical stories, yes. However, when a story is said to be a myth, it's usually implied that many events therein didn't actually happen in reality. Since your answer to my question was that the stories are myths, it seemed you were suggesting they're false.

Therefore, I'd prefer a straightforward "Yes" or "No" to the following question I've asked: Do you grant the mainstream positions 1) that Jesus was crucified and 2) "that Peter and the disciples had experiences after Jesus’s death in which Jesus appeared to them as the risen Christ" (Gerd Lüdemann, What Really Happened to Jesus, pg. 80)?

16. sojourner

Ratings:
    +3,901
    Religion:
    Christian/Shamanic
    As mythic stories? Yes. As historic fact? Not enough verifiable fact to arrive at a conclusion.

#936 sojourner, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  17. IndigoChild5559

IndigoChild5559 Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

Ratings:
    +750
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Clearly it wasn't Jesus.

18. IndigoChild5559

IndigoChild5559 Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

Ratings:
    +750
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Sorry, but the majority of people on this earth don't believe it. Certainly Jews don't, which is the community in which this supposedly happened. You would think if it were real, that the very people for whom the messiah was prophecies, who *looked* for the messiah, would believe. But no, we see through this false messiah, just as we see through all the other false messiahs.

19. lukethethird

lukethethird Active Member

Ratings:
    +397
    Religion:
    Xian
    I know, I have spiritual eyes so scripture becomes plain to see, as in crystal clear.

20. Prince Mthembu

Ratings:
    +0
    Religion:
    Christian
    By acceptance do you mean I must refer to all others religion as true? If so, how can that be possible?