• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Jesus Christ actually die?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
How is eternal separation from God excessive punishment?
We are meant — created — to be in right relationship with God. That’s our natural state. Not being true to our reality is punishing. God is life — literal life. And we are created to be nephesh — living beings. When we are separated from God, we suffer death. That’s punishing too.

unless, of course, you buy into the fallacy that we are not created good, that we are inherently evil. But I think that’s a pretty crappy way to conceive humanity, and ultimately incongruent with biblical tenet.

Skywalker

Sometimes people go to jail when they commit a crime. But that is not what is proposed in the Bible.

Tell me, if a child of yours smacks the cat do you cut off his arm? if no, why not?

How is hell excessive punishment? OBJECTION TO CHRISTIANITY: A Loving God Would Never Torture People in Hell

• [*]Strobel—“How should we even approach the topic of hell?”
    [*]Moreland—“We should distinguish between liking or disliking something and judging whether it is right to do. . .I think people should set aside their feelings. The basis of their evaluation should be whether hell is a morally just or morally right state of affairs, not whether they like or dislike the concept.
    [*]Moreland—“And it’s important to understand that if the God of Christianity is real, He hates hell and He hates people going there. The Bible is very clear: God says He takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked.”

Skywalker

We are meant — created — to be in right relationship with God. That’s our natural state. Not being true to our reality is punishing. God is life — literal life. And we are created to be nephesh — living beings. When we are separated from God, we suffer death. That’s punishing too.

unless, of course, you buy into the fallacy that we are not created good, that we are inherently evil. But I think that’s a pretty crappy way to conceive humanity, and ultimately incongruent with biblical tenet.

God doesn't create sinners.

sojourner

That's between him and God.
That’s a deflection. The thief’s salvation was between him and God too. But you were perfectly willing to make that judgment call. So I ask again: is Hitler saved according to your understanding?

Skywalker

Why do you keep linking to various Liars for Jesus? Do you think that helps you?

By the way you already admitted that you were wrong.

Would you cut off your child's arm for smacking the cat? If not why not?

The answer to your question should be there.

Hell is not what it's portrayed in Buddhist mythology. It's eternal separation from God. OBJECTION TO CHRISTIANITY: A Loving God Would Never Torture People in Hell

• [*]Strobel—“The agnostic Charles Templeton asked, ‘How could a loving God, just because you don’t obey Him and do what He wants, torture you forever—not allowing you to die, but to continue in that pain for eternity? There is no criminal who would do this!’”
    [*]Moreland—“Well for one thing, hell is not a torture chamber. God doesn’t torture people in hell, so Templeton is flat wrong about that. Templeton also makes it sound like God is a spoiled child who says to people, ‘Look, if you’re not willing to obey my arbitrary rules, then I’m going to sentence you for it. . . .’

Skywalker

That’s a deflection. The thief’s salvation was between him and God too. But you were perfectly willing to make that judgment call. So I ask again: is Hitler saved according to your understanding?

I meant the thief on the cross was saved even though he wasn't baptized.

sojourner

Even accidental crimes are punished. Strict liability crimes are an example.
That’s not cogent to my post. You said that we are “at best” sinners. Then you said that God didn’t create sinners. That means that, at best, we are not sinners.