• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Jesus and or Mary ever believe in Trinity?

Ben Avraham

Jesus and Mary are only metaphors to me, so I don't personally don't care what they thought or believed.

Okay Psychoslice, now, you must take it easy for a change! Do you think the whole world would write thousands of books about a metaphor that has lasted for about 2000 years? Not likely in my opinion!

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Okay Psychoslice, now, you must take it easy for a change! Do you think the whole world would write thousands of books about a metaphor that has lasted for about 2000 years? Not likely!
Of course, its just that you cannot see the metaphor, open your eye's for a change.

pearl

No Pcarl, the purpose of the flogging was to break the natural reaction to the act of crucifixion itself.

FLOGGING, punishment by beating or whipping. This at all times has been the instinctive way to inflict disciplinary *punishment: a parent "disciplines" his son by beating him (cf. Deut. 8:5; 21:18; Prov. 19:18; 23:13–14; 29:17) as does a master his slave (Ex. 21:20,26). More than any other punishment, flogging is a means of correction rather than retribution, and, being a substitute for the capital punishment which, in the rabbinic view, every violator of God's word properly deserves, it reflects God's infinite mercy (cf. Sanh. 10a, Rashi ibid.).

In Biblical Law

It appears that, where no other punishment was expressly prescribed, flogging was in biblical law the standard punishment for all offenses (Deut. 25:2). The exegetical difficulties which arose in view of the preceding verse (25:1) gave rise to such restrictive interpretations as that the law of flogging applied only in limited cases of assault (Ibn Ezra, ibid.) or perjury (cf. Mak. 2b); but there need not necessarily be any connection between the two verses – the former being construed as a self-contained exhortation to do justice in civil cases as well as in cases of mutual criminal accusations (cf. Mid. Tan. to 25:1). It is noteworthy that flogging is the only punishment mentioned in the Bible as a general rule, and not in relation to any particular offense (but cf. Deut. 21:22 regarding postmortem hangings; see also *Capital Punishment), the only exception being the flogging prescribed, in addition to a *fine, for the slanderer of a virgin (Deut. 22:18).

The maximum number of strokes to be administered in any one case is 40 (Deut. 25:3), "lest being flogged further, to excess, your brother is degraded before your eyes" (ibid.). While this number was later understood as the standard, fixed number of strokes to be administered in each case (less one), there is no valid reason to assume that it was not in factintended and regarded as a maximum limit – the preceding words, "as his guilt warrants" (25:2) indicating that the number of strokes was to be determined in each individual case according to the gravity of the offense, provided only they did not exceed the prescribed maximum. The scriptural intention to prevent any "degradation" of the human person is served by the fact that no discretion was allowed to the judges, who may tend to harshness or cruelty (Ibn Ezra, ibid.). There is norecord of the manner in which floggings were administered in biblical times. Various instruments of beating are mentioned in the Bible (Judg. 8:7, 16; Prov. 10:13; 26:3; I Kings 12:11, 14; et al.), but any conclusion that they (or any of them) were the instruments used in judicial floggings is unwarranted.
https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/judaica/ejud_0002_0007_0_06574.html

pearl

In Talmudic Law

Talmudic law not only made detailed provision for the manner in which floggings were to be carried out, but also altered the concept of the biblical punishment; the maximum of 40 lashes was reduced to 39 (Mak. 22a), so as to avoid the danger of exceeding 40 even by mistake; and the offenses which carried the punishment of flogging were exactly defined, depriving it of its character as a residuary and omnibus punishment. The number of 39 lashes became the standard rather than the maximum number; but in order to prevent death by flogging – which would amount to a violation of the biblical injunction of "not more" than flogging – the person to be flogged was first physically examined in order to determine the number of lashes that could safely be administered to him (Mak. 3:11). Where, as a result of such examination, less than 39 lashes were administered, and it then turned out that the offender could well bear more, the previous estimate would be allowed to stand and the offender discharged (Maim. Yad, Sanhedrin 17:2). But the offender would also be discharged where physical symptoms manifested themselves during the course of the flogging, so that he would not be able to stand any more lashes, even though on previous examination he had been found fit to stand more (ibid. 17:5). It also happened that as a result of such examination, floggings were postponed for another day or later, until the offender was fit to undergo them (ibid. 17:3).

pearl

Jesus preached the Torah.

He did not simply repeat the Torah. From the Mishnah;
Moses received Torah at Sinai and handed it on to Joshua, Joshua to elders, and elders to prophets. And prophets handed it on to the men of the great assembly. They said three things: "Be prudent in judgment. Raise up many disciples. Make a fence for the Torah."
It is proper for a sage to receive but also to hand on meaning, to take over the heritage of Sinai, and to hand over to the next generation something that this sage has added to the heritage of Sinai.
And so it begins, the "You have heard is said.......But I say to you....."

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Did Jesus and or Mary ever believe in Trinity?

Trinity is not even mentioned in the Bible.
Right? Please
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
"Pilate had enough reason to suspect that Jesus was already dead because he knew that it was not uncommon for crucified to remain on their crosses sometimes up to 4 days and, Jesus spent only about 3 hours."
Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus planned to revive Jesus with the 100 pounds of medications, to mend Jesus' wounds.
I agree with one. Please
Regards
It is said that Jesus had prepared the prescription as how to treat the wounds of seriously injured with myrrh and aloe.
Jesus was a physician also.it is enough to say that while Jesus healed others, this preparation healed Jesus!
Regards

Muffled

Jesus in me
Nicene creed is just something some non apostles agreed on. It has no authority. You have to go with what the Apostles taught, if it even matters. Since it's sort of here nor there whether they are all one or three separate, what's got to do with us anyway?

I don't believe the Apostles taught much except Paul and much of his teaching can be attributed to the Holy Spirit.

I believe they examined the scriptures to reach their conclusions. I don't believe that automatically makes them right but I certainly agree with their finding.

I believe the two heads are better than one is overrated. If there are three Gods disagreeing with each other who can figure which one to follow?

Muffled

Jesus in me
There is no mention of the trinity in the Holy Bible. That's a dogma of the church.

Christianity is divided amongst itself into over 40,000 contradicting sects disagreeing strongly with each other from issues ranging from the Divinity of Jesus to the Pope to the trinity.

Unfortunately, the confusion and disagreements among Christians today means if you want to know the meaning of the Bible, the very last people you ask are the confused Christians who cannot even unite around one Jesus and one Book or speak with one voice.

The trinity is just one of thousands of confusions Christians have about the Bible.

I believe the Trinity is mentioned in the Bible and that is where the church gets its dogma. I believe you would do well to study John 14 and understand it.

I believe there is safety in a number of counsellors. Reading for meaning by oneself can be be dangerous. However I believe the Holy Spirit is the best teacher. I believe not all divisions are theologically driven. Sometimes there is a desire to concentrate on one aspect of the Gospel while another concentrates on another aspect.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
I don't believe the Apostles taught much except Paul and much of his teaching can be attributed to the Holy Spirit.

I believe they examined the scriptures to reach their conclusions. I don't believe that automatically makes them right but I certainly agree with their finding.

I believe the two heads are better than one is overrated. If there are three Gods disagreeing with each other who can figure which one to follow?

I don't know about that. The biggest thing they agreed on according to wikipedia was what day to have Easter. Easter isn't even a biblical holy day. Passover is the feast. So, just like the world started out perfect and went to hell, so too does religion.

Muffled

Jesus in me
It is said that Jesus had prepared the prescription as how to treat the wounds of seriously injured with myrrh and aloe.
Jesus was a physician also.it is enough to say that while Jesus healed others, this preparation healed Jesus!
Regards

I believe that is as far fetched as one can get. There certainly is no scripture that supports such a notion.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I don't know about that. The biggest thing they agreed on according to wikipedia was what day to have Easter. Easter isn't even a biblical holy day. Passover is the feast. So, just like the world started out perfect and went to hell, so too does religion.

I believe I don't recollect any statement that religion started out perfect. I don't believe religion has gone to Hell. It may suffer from a malaise but Jesus can heal that if the parties are willing.

I do not think it needs to be. I believe it honors Jesus to celebrate His resurrection from the dead. I don't need the Bible to pray and I don't need the Bible to worship. Now that I know Jesus personally I don't even need the Bible.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
I believe I don't recollect any statement that religion started out perfect. I don't believe religion has gone to Hell. It may suffer from a malaise but Jesus can heal that if the parties are willing.

I do not think it needs to be. I believe it honors Jesus to celebrate His resurrection from the dead. I don't need the Bible to pray and I don't need the Bible to worship. Now that I know Jesus personally I don't even need the Bible.

Oh but you need the Nicenen creed, and doctrine of the Trinitiy, or a council of bishops to decide what color Rudolphs nose should be? I'll keep my bible...

Muffled

Jesus in me
Oh but you need the Nicenen creed, and doctrine of the Trinitiy, or a council of bishops to decide what color Rudolphs nose should be? I'll keep my bible...

I believe you are putting words in my mouth because I never said I needed those things. I believe all I need is Jesus.

I believe in keeping all my Bibles as well and use them on occasion but I no longer need them. If all our Bibles were taken away and burned I would still have the Bible because I have Jesus.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Ok well back to the subject matter. What does Jesus say people should be baptized into? Like the Priests and Preachers say "Baptized in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost" or like Paul says baptized into the name Jesus? Isn't it sort of funny that they don't name any names when they baptize into the name?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
I believe the Trinity is mentioned in the Bible and that is where the church gets its dogma. I believe you would do well to study John 14 and understand it.

I believe there is safety in a number of counsellors. Reading for meaning by oneself can be be dangerous. However I believe the Holy Spirit is the best teacher. I believe not all divisions are theologically driven. Sometimes there is a desire to concentrate on one aspect of the Gospel while another concentrates on another aspect.

We get our interpretations from 'the Spirit of truth' Who was to guide us into all truth, that is, Baha'u'llah. Christ foretold His coming and that We would have things we didn't understand explained to us.

We do not interpret the Bible ourselves but follow His Words as He is the Father.

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
Did Jesus and or Mary ever believed in Trinity?

Jesus and Mary could never believe in Trinity. It is a pagan concept. Right? Please
Regards

#107 adrianhindes, thanks andregards to him.
#109 paarsurrey, one may like to read both the post, please
In the Bible, Jesus talks extensively about the Father and the Son in many different verses. In a couple of verses, Jesus also mentions the Holy Spirit.

So he obviously believed in the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, even though he may not used the word Trinity.