• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Jesus abolish the fourth commandment after His death?

reddogs

So lets look at scripture to see if Jesus abolished the fourth commandment after His death?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!
"And the women also, which came with him from Galilee, followed after, and beheld the sepulcher, and how his body was laid. And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the Sabbath day according to the commandment." Luke 23:55,56.

The faithful women rested on the Sabbath day. They knew they could not embalm the body of Christ on the Lord''s Day. No work was done until Sunday morning, the resurrection day.

Jesus never stated that after His death, the Sabbath would be changed and celebrated on Sunday. So lets look at if the Sabbath was kept after Christ''s resurrection

Jesus foretold that Jerusalem would be destroyed by enemy armies. He warned His followers of the time of the invasion saying, "But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:" Matthew 24:20.

Before the invading Roman legions destroyed Jerusalem in A.D. 70, the Christians safely fled from the city and were spared from death. Their departure was in the autumn and not on the holy Sabbath day. Jesus wanted His children to be happy and to keep the Sabbath after His resurrection. So what else does scripture show:

Paul preaches on the Sabbath day in Antioch: "And when the Jews were gone out the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath… And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God." Acts 13:42-44

Paul preaches on the Sabbath day near Philippi: "And on the sabbath we went out of the city by a river side, where prayer was wont to be made; and we sat down, and spake unto the women which resorted thither. And a certain woman named Lydia, a seller of purple, of the city of Thyatira, which worshipped God, heard us: whose heart the Lord opened, that she attended unto the things which were spoken of Paul." Acts 16:13,14.

Paul preach on the Sabbath day in Thessalonica: "And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures," Acts 17:2

Paul preaches on the Sabbath day in Corinth; "And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks," Acts18:4

Paul was very active in teaching the Gentiles to worship on the seventh day, the Sabbath. He never advocated Sunday sacredness and worship. No Bible texts in the New Testament warrant a change of worship from Saturday to Sunday after Christ''s resurrection and ascension

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Paul was very active in teaching the Gentiles to worship on the seventh day, the Sabbath. He never advocated Sunday sacredness and worship. No Bible texts in the New Testament warrant a change of worship from Saturday to Sunday after Christ''s resurrection and ascension
Out of curiosity, how do SDAs incorporate Paul's words in Romans 14 into their position on the Sabbath? For instance, verse 5:

One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
If you're wanting this thread to be a debate, you'll need to move it to "Religious Debates".

I don't think you'll find another SDA who will refute your idea of Saturday worship. :)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If you're wanting this thread to be a debate, you'll need to move it to "Religious Debates".
Quick note: that wasn't my intention. I'm actually curious about how this passage is incorporated into SDA belief and practice. I'm not trying to start a debate.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Quick note: that wasn't my intention. I'm actually curious about how this passage is incorporated into SDA belief and practice. I'm not trying to start a debate.
We posted at the same time and I know you know the rules. :) It's mostly for the author of this thread....you know, if he wants to see some action. :p

reddogs

We posted at the same time and I know you know the rules. :) It's mostly for the author of this thread....you know, if he wants to see some action. :p
I think I will leave it here for now, and post a debate thread later when I have more time at home. Thanks for the help
Red