• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Imam Ali Say That He was The Servant of Prophet Muhammad?!!!

mojtaba

«بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم»
Hello everyone!

I see that Baha'is incorrectly claim that Imam Ali(a.s.) said,' I am the servant of Muhammad! '. So, they legitimize the saying of Baha'ullah when he said, ' There is no gob but myself who is Imprisoned and alone '.

But when we see the Shia books, that Hadith of Imam Ali(a.s.) has another meaning and it never means that Imam Ali was a servant of Prophet Muhammad(تعالی الله عما يشركون).

Before narrating of the Hadith, it should be said that the term 'عبد'( Abd ) in Arabic has different meanings. It means servant, slave and also obedient and follower(See this authentic website)[عَبْد : مُطيع, Abd : obedient, follower].

So, see the Hadith:

Imam Sadiq(a.s.) said,
"One of the Jewish rabbis (hibr) came to Imam Ali (a.s.), and asked, ‘O Amir al-Mu’minin, when did your Lord come into existence?’" Imam Ali (a.s.) replied, "Beware! When has Allah not been (in existence), so that it could be said when did He come into existence. My Lord existed before any before without being before. He is after every after, without being after. There is no finale destination or end for Him. All ends fall short before Him. He is the final destination of all goals." He further asked, "O Amir al-Mu’minin, are you a Prophet?" Imam Ali (a.s.) replied, "Woe to you. I am an obedient and follower[ Abd ] among followers[ Abid, plural of Abd ] of Muhammad,(s.a.w.a.w.s.)".

This Hadith clearly explains itslef. The rabbi said to Imam Ali, ' Are you a Prophet like Muhammad? '. Then, Imam Ali said, ' No, I am not a Prophet like Muhammad. Indeed, I am his follower and obedient '.

I do not know, how does this Hadith mean that Imam Ali was the servant of Prophet, meaning Prophet Muhammad, the servant of God, was himself God of Imam Ali?!!!

So, the Hadith never means what baha'is claim and exalted is Allah above whatever they associate with Him.

May Allah bless you!

Last edited:

zahra67

«بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم»
Hello everyone!

I see that Baha'is incorrectly claim that Imam Ali(a.s.) said,' I am the servant of Muhammad! '. So, they legitimize the saying of Baha'ullah when he said, ' There is no gob but myself who is Imprisoned and alone '.

But when we see the Shia books, that Hadith of Imam Ali(a.s.) has another meaning and it never means that Imam Ali was a servant of Prophet Muhammad(تعالی الله عما يشركون).

Before narrating of the Hadith, it should be said that the term 'عبد'( Abd ) in Arabic has different meanings. It means servant, slave and also obedient and follower(See this authentic website)[عَبْد : مُطيع, Abd : obedient, follower].

So, see the Hadith:

Imam Sadiq(a.s.) said,
"One of the Jewish rabbis (hibr) came to Imam Ali (a.s.), and asked, ‘O Amir al-Mu’minin, when did your Lord come into existence?’" Imam Ali (a.s.) replied, "Beware! When has Allah not been (in existence), so that it could be said when did He come into existence. My Lord existed before any before without being before. He is after every after, without being after. There is no finale destination or end for Him. All ends fall short before Him. He is the final destination of all goals." He further asked, "O Amir al-Mu’minin, are you a Prophet?" Imam Ali (a.s.) replied, "Woe to you. I am an obedient and follower[ Abd ] among followers[ Abid, plural of Abd ] of Muhammad,(s.a.w.a.w.s.)".

This Hadith clearly explains itslef. The rabbi said to Imam Ali, ' Are you a Prophet like Muhammad? '. Then, Imam Ali said, ' No, I am not a Prophet like Muhammad. Indeed, I am his follower and obedient '.

I do not know, how does this Hadith mean that Imam Ali was the servant of Prophet, meaning Prophet Muhammad, the servant of God, was himself God of Imam Ali?!!!

So, the Hadith never means what baha'is claim and exalted is Allah above whatever they associate with Him.

May Allah bless you!
salam.
i realy appreciate your authentic and informative posts.
i heard this hadith before and i did not know what does it mean before.
i was in doubt is it possible this hadith be true at all?
your reward with Allah, his messenger and his ahlulbayt.

InvestigateTruth

«بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم»
Hello everyone!

!

Hello Mojttaba,

As regards to your view as to why Imam Ali had said He is Abd of Muhammad, I am not going to comment on it in here, because, it is your Directory.
But as regards to Bahaullah's writing 'There is no God but myself who is Imprisoned and alone ', I like to explain that, in Bahai view, when people imprison a Messenger of God, it is like they have imprisoned God. Because the words of God is revealed through His Messengers. This is why God said 'There is no God but myself who is Imprisoned and alone '.

I quote Bahaullah:

"And were they [the Messengers of God] to say: “We are the servants of God,” this also is a manifest and indisputable fact. For they have been made manifest in the uttermost state of servitude, a servitude the like of which no man can possibly attain. Thus in moments in which these Essences of being were deeply immersed beneath the oceans of ancient and everlasting holiness, or when they soared to the loftiest summits of divine mysteries, they claimed their utterance to be the Voice of divinity, the Call of God Himself. Were the eye of discernment to be opened, it would recognize that in this very state, they have considered themselves utterly effaced and nonexistent in the face of Him Who is the All Pervading, the Incorruptible. "

If you like you can listen to this speach given by the Marthyred Bahai scholar, Dr. ali Murad Davoodi:

Last edited:

mojtaba

Hello Mojttaba,

As regards to your view as to why Imam Ali had said He is Abd of Muhammad, I am not going to comment on it in here, because, it is your Directory.
But as regards to Bahaullah's writing 'There is no God but myself who is Imprisoned and alone ', I like to explain that, in Bahai view, when people imprison a Messenger of God, it is like they have imprisoned God. Because the words of God is revealed through His Messengers. This is why God said 'There is no God but myself who is Imprisoned and alone '.

I quote Bahaullah:

"And were they [the Messengers of God] to say: “We are the servants of God,” this also is a manifest and indisputable fact. For they have been made manifest in the uttermost state of servitude, a servitude the like of which no man can possibly attain. Thus in moments in which these Essences of being were deeply immersed beneath the oceans of ancient and everlasting holiness, or when they soared to the loftiest summits of divine mysteries, they claimed their utterance to be the Voice of divinity, the Call of God Himself. Were the eye of discernment to be opened, it would recognize that in this very state, they have considered themselves utterly effaced and nonexistent in the face of Him Who is the All Pervading, the Incorruptible. "

If you like you can listen to this speach given by the Marthyred Bahai scholar, Dr. ali Murad Davoodi:

Hello.

In Shi'i gnosis( which is based on Quran and the sayings of Prophet Muhammad and his Ahlul Bayt ), we believe that whatever other than God( i.e., His manifestations ) are indeed nothing in their essences. So, when they rich to the highest level of Ubudiyyat towards God( Persian, بندگی/ English: slavery ), they see their essences (which is indeed nothing) in comparision to the Absolute Essence of Almighty God( Allah ), then say with the power of God and His helping, from the deepest part of their hearts,' La'ilaha 'IllAllah ( There is no god but Allah ).' They see only God and never see anything other than Him, even themselves.

But when a persen says in the prison, ' There is no god but Myself who is imprisoned', this implies that that person yet sees himself a thing[ There is no god but Myself ], while those who are in the highest level of slavery see themselve nothing and never see a thing which is named myself, and see only Allah and see Him the Absolute and the only Thing. So, that saying also shows that he has not yet arrived to the highest level of the slavery to God.

So, when a person says, There is no god but Myself who is imprisoned , we can conclude that either he has not yet arrived to the highest level of slavery to Allah, or he is liar and is claiming gnosis to decieve others[ Hafez, a famous Iranian and Muslim mystic and Sufi, says:
صوفی نهاد دام و سر حقه باز کرد/ بنیاد مکر با فلک حقه باز کرد, which means: Sufi( i.e., a liar Sufi who lies that he is a mystic ) laid a trap with slight of hands and trick of the eyes/ With the help of this trickster merry-go-round mystifies].

May Allah shows us the true slavery to Himself.

Last edited: