• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Hercules Exist?

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Many of the city-states of ancient Greece claimed Hercules as a "founder. The most notable being the Spartans.
If Hercules did not exist, does that diminish the importance of Greek society in shaping history?

:shrug:

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
Heracles traveled most of Europe all the way to Ireland and the U.K. to my knowledge under various
names during the labors. That is up to you to decide on whether or not he was a real legend that
traveled not only Greece but many lands. The west doesn't understand the Gods and their children
whom became great heroes started society and numerous civilizations over the eons while much of
Man still remained in the wilds nearly civilized.

You can learn a lot from myth and if you want to believe it more power to you. I do not understand
why so many argue with cultural history. It's causes conflict in many people and then they're told
they are wrong because they have been mortally insulted and feel their closest inspirations, Kings
and Lord's have been dishonored. It is not something they care to be considerate about in 'Murica
and it is unfortunate that this is the nature of modern day society.

That is the history of numerous cultures, civilizations and even cities that a particular
God created the foundation of that society. It wasn't purely based on saying God did it
because they lacked an explanation, like for beer. It's easier to say the founder was the
first King of that land and the truth is that King will say it was founded by their God or Legend.

I just don't understand why so many people are deliberately insulting with their arguments over
accepting that cultures history and presenting the argument with respect and
without dis-honoring the Gods and their children.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Many of the city-states of ancient Greece claimed Hercules as a "founder. The most notable being the Spartans.
If Hercules did not exist, does that diminish the importance of Greek society in shaping history?

No, it simply expresses the ideals of the ancient Greeks. Whether Hercules was flesh and blood is irrelevant. Hercules exemplified ideals that resonated with the ancient Greeks and so did the stories about him.

Does the fact that the Canaanite pantheon is mythology diminishes the fact that we are all able to communicate in Latin alphabet which is a descendant of the Canaanite alphabet via Greek?

Does the fact that Osiris and Horus are mythological diminishes the pyramids and other architectural marvels the Egyptians left behind?

Does the fact that we have no archaeological evidence for Abraham or Moses diminishes the fact that the Jews gave the Bible to the world?

Does the fact that Sigurd and Brynhild of the Norse Sagas cannot be proven to be historical diminishes the maritime heritage the Vikings left behind them?

Enough said.

All of the civilizations above have both mythological, semi mythological, and historical protagonists in their cultural history. It's vain and arbitrary to pick on the mythological elements as if they cast a shadow on an entire culture and it's history. Especially since the majority of the mythological literature embodies ideals, wisdom, inspiration, and values.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
There was probably some strong man in the past who went the way of Robin Hood- became bigger than his real life, you know, kind of like a legend. It's kind of hard to say, as that was thousands of years ago.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
No, it simply expresses the ideals of the ancient Greeks. Whether Hercules was flesh and blood is irrelevant. Hercules exemplified ideals that resonated with the ancient Greeks and so did the stories about him.

Does the fact that the Canaanite pantheon is mythology diminishes the fact that we are all able to communicate in Latin alphabet which is a descendant of the Canaanite alphabet via Greek?

Does the fact that Osiris and Horus are mythological diminishes the pyramids and other architectural marvels the Egyptians left behind?

Does the fact that we have no archaeological evidence for Abraham or Moses diminishes the fact that the Jews gave the Bible to the world?

Does the fact that Sigurd and Brynhild of the Norse Sagas cannot be proven to be historical diminishes the maritime heritage the Vikings left behind them?

Enough said.

All of the civilizations above have both mythological, semi mythological, and historical protagonists in their cultural history. It's vain and arbitrary to pick on the mythological elements as if they cast a shadow on an entire culture and it's history. Especially since the majority of the mythological literature embodies ideals, wisdom, inspiration, and values.
I knew the archaeologist would get it. ;)

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

Obviously not, but what I'm wondering is what this thread is supposed to be an analogy of.

nash8

Da man, when I walk thru!
There' a book floating around somewhere that I read a brief synopsis of that stated that Hercules was actually a Greek trader of long ago, who opened up many new ports and basically went places were no Greek person had ever gone before.

The only reference that I can remember now was that the pillars at the end of the earth in the story of Hercules, were actually the cliffs at each end of the Strait of Gibralter, and represented him venturing out to the end of the known world at that time. All of the feats he performed were related to historical places that he visitied.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strait_of_Gibraltar