• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Hebrew Old Testament develop out of Canaanite Polytheism?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Did Hebrew religion develop from Canaanite polytheism? Were the Hebrews polytheistic, henotheistic, or pantheistic?
I don't think so, but it is a prevalent theory..
discuss

Tumah

Veteran Member
My opinion is no. I think G-d's Name was known from Noah and over the generations, His Name was adapted into the Canaanite pantheon. Talmudic literature puts the beginning of idol-worship in the time of Enosh, which coincides with the early-bronze age (he was born in the year 235 AM, which coincides with 3525 BCE and lived until 2620 BCE). This is also the time that the Canaanite pantheon emerged.

Mention of other Canaanite gods in Scriptures doesn't bother me, because we already know that Israel often engaged in idol-worship. This is not a secret. They just worshiped the local crop.

That works for me.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Did Hebrew religion develop from Canaanite polytheism? Were the Hebrews polytheistic, henotheistic, or pantheistic?
I don't think so, but it is a prevalent theory..
discuss
The problem with such questions is that they encourage simple yes-and-no answers - unless, of course, one views the Torah as revelation given in its entirety to Moses on Mt. Sinai.

I would strongly encourage you to purchase the Plaut Torah and Commentary. Its introduction is, in my opinion, an exceptional answer to your question.

outhouse

Atheistically
here is what the encyclopedia says

History of ancient Israel and Judah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Israelite monotheism evolved gradually out of pre-existing beliefs and practices of the ancient world.[76] The religion of the Israelites of Iron Age I, like the Canaanite faith from which it evolved[77] and other ancient Near Eastern religions, was based on a cult of ancestors and worship of family gods (the "gods of the fathers").[78] Its major deities were not numerous – El, Asherah, and Yahweh, with Baal as a fourth god, and perhaps Shamash (the sun) in the early period

Early Israelites polytheism is not up for debate, nor is their Canaanite herritage.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I do think it's likely that early Judaism was probably polytheistic, and there's reason to believe that as this seems to be sort of indirectly covered in Genesis and Exodus, but whether its main source was Canaanite is too hard to say because there's other possibilities.

metis

I think [outhouse] are making a mistake. Historians create theories by making deductions from facts. They don't deduce facts.

Correct. As an anthropologist (now retired), we simply use caution to avoid making overly bold statements. We usually avoid words like "facts" and "proven", whereas we prefer to cloak our judgments in more moderate terms, such as "evidence" and "theory".

outhouse

Atheistically
I do think it's likely that early Judaism was probably polytheistic,

Great!!!!!

That is a start, even you admit I am half correct now.

So lets ask, why were they polytheistic to only Canaanite deities, and not any other cultures deities???????????

but whether its main source was Canaanite is too hard to say because there's other possibilities.

This is where I see error.

Why is it hard to say?

We have Canaanite mythology previous to Israelites that have all the Israelite deities EVERY SINGLE ONE.

What other possibilities? All that can be is El being a mesopotamian deity, BUT BUT it does not follow the Mesopotamian mythology, it CLEARLY follows the Canaanite mythology to a T. And you know it.

outhouse

Atheistically
Correct. As an anthropologist (now retired), we simply use caution to avoid making overly bold statements. We usually avoid words like "facts" and "proven", whereas we prefer to cloak our judgments in more moderate terms, such as "evidence" and "theory".

Why is this now common knowledge?

Israelite monotheism evolved gradually out of pre-existing beliefs and practices of the ancient world.[76] The religion of the Israelites of Iron Age I, like the Canaanite faith from which it evolved[77] and other ancient Near Eastern religions, was based on a cult of ancestors and worship of family gods (the "gods of the fathers").[78] Its major deities were not numerous – El, Asherah, and Yahweh, with Baal as a fourth god, and perhaps Shamash (the sun) in the early period

Early Israelites polytheism is not up for debate, nor is their Canaanite herritage.
progress.gif

outhouse

Atheistically
I suspect that early Israelite society was henotheistic and variegated and that early Judaism was a monotheistic polemic against that world view.

The reason I dont trust you is because you have let your bias show one to many times in serious error.

Im sorry but I will listen to professionals over you

NOVA | The Many Gods of Israel

The Many Gods of Israel

Bill Dever has investigated the archeology of the ancient Near East for more than three decades. He says that in addition to the Hebrew god Yahweh, ancient Israelites may have also worshipped Canaanite gods and goddesses.

Archeologist Bill Dever says that polytheism may have been the norm in ancient Israel.

metis

I suspect that early Israelite society was henotheistic and variegated and that early Judaism was a monotheistic polemic against that world view.

I think it's likely it eventually became that way, but there are signs of polytheism to be found even in our own scriptures. Various names for God are pretty much the same as the names of various Gods in the Sumerian parthenon. Also, "the God of Abraham" wording, Abraham's father having idols, the "golden calf" incident, etc. seemingly indicates a polytheistic past, although admittedly there is another possibility, namely the influence of neighbors.

outhouse

Atheistically
Here is another good article that stops the bias in this forum.

Polytheism and Ancient Israel’s Canaanite Heritage. Part V

Of course, much of this [i.e., that Israel worshiped El and Asherah alongside YHWH] is really to be expected given that recent syntheses of the archaeological, cultural, and literary data pertaining to the emergence of the nation of Israel in the Levant show that most of the people who would eventually compose this group were originally Canaanite. As the Hebrew Bible notes, the Hebrew language itself is a Canaanite language, literally the “lip of Canaan” (שְׂפַת כְּנַעַן; Is. 19:18), and so it cannot often be distinguished by modern scholars from other Canaanite inscriptions on purely linguistic grounds.[1] Moreover, during the Late Bronze and Early Iron I periods both “linear and cuneiform alphabetic scripts are attested in inscriptions in the highlands as well as in the valleys and on the coast.”[2] Furthermore, specific technical religious terminology for cult sacrifices and personnel in Israelite religion often have exact correspondents in Ugaritic and Phoenician.[3] Further, Israelite material culture is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to distinguish from Canaanite material culture in the Late Bronze and early Iron I periods.[4] Rather, it shows direct continuity with the preceding ages and cultures in such features as collar-rim jars, four-room house architecture, cisterns, and burial patterns.[5] Archeologists have tried to provide a clear set of criteria in order to distinguish between Israelite and Canaanite sites in the earliest periods, but often with little success (though not for lack of trying). Additionally, the texts of the Hebrew Bible, although admittedly written hundreds of years after the events they purport to record, complicate matters by further noting the existence of many other foreign groups in the land (e.g., Ex. 6:15; Josh. 3:10; 9:15; 14:13-14; Judges. 1:16; 1 Sam. 27:10).

CynthiaCypher

Maybe the Hebrews were a pantheistic subculture of Arameans who later adopted some aspects of the surrounding Canaanite culture.

I think that is the most likely scenario.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
My opinion is no. I think G-d's Name was known from Noah and over the generations, His Name was adapted into the Canaanite pantheon. Talmudic literature puts the beginning of idol-worship in the time of Enosh, which coincides with the early-bronze age (he was born in the year 235 AM, which coincides with 3525 BCE and lived until 2620 BCE). This is also the time that the Canaanite pantheon emerged.

Mention of other Canaanite gods in Scriptures doesn't bother me, because we already know that Israel often engaged in idol-worship. This is not a secret. They just worshiped the local crop.

That works for me.

Thanks for the answer, I suspect the golden calf etc. in the bible was also most likely parallelism, with the monotheistic Hebrews adapting nearby pantheistic or idol worship.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
The problem with such questions is that they encourage simple yes-and-no answers - unless, of course, one views the Torah as revelation given in its entirety to Moses on Mt. Sinai.

Ironically the Canaanite to Hebraic theory almost necessitates something along those lines, does it not? The theory assumes a religion literally borrowed wholly from a hodge-podge of other beliefs...that alone makes the theory difficult to believe...

I would strongly encourage you to purchase the Plaut Torah and Commentary.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
here is what the encyclopedia says

I can't take your statements seriously when you include terms like 'not up for debate'...
I think you are not examining the arguments critically enough to be unbiased.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I think it's likely it eventually became that way, but there are signs of polytheism to be found even in our own scriptures. Various names for God are pretty much the same as the names of various Gods in the Sumerian parthenon. Also, "the God of Abraham" wording, Abraham's father having idols, the "golden calf" incident, etc. seemingly indicates a polytheistic past, although admittedly there is another possibility, namely the influence of neighbors.
None of which argues against a southern, monotheistic sect of Hebrews asserting greater and greater influence on an Israelite federation.