• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did God save Seth MacFarlane? Why?

Did God save Seth MacFarlane? Why?

• Yes - So Seth would have the opportunity to repent.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Smoke

Done here.
As you may know, Seth MacFarlane, creator of "Family Guy" and "American Dad," was scheduled to fly to Los Angeles on American Airlines Flight 11 on 11 September 2001. He missed the flight, which ended up being flown into the North Tower of the World Trade Center.

My husband, who is a Christian, thinks God intervened to save MacFarlane's life. John thinks God saved Seth MacFarlane because he wanted him to go on making fun of religious conservatives, who blaspheme against God by associating him with their bigoted and violent causes.

What do you think? Did God save Seth MacFarlane? Why?

tomspug

Absorbant
As you may know, Seth MacFarlane, creator of "Family Guy" and "American Dad," was scheduled to fly to Los Angeles on American Airlines Flight 11 on 11 September 2001. He missed the flight, which ended up being flown into the North Tower of the World Trade Center.

My husband, who is a Christian, thinks God intervened to save MacFarlane's life. John thinks God saved Seth MacFarlane because he wanted him to go on making fun of religious conservatives, who blaspheme against God by associating him with their bigoted and violent causes.

Obviously, he's making the most of his time here on earth... :rolleyes:

But yeah, I have no idea.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I don't really care about Seth MacFarlane but I have to say that if John really, truly thinks God saved Seth, I admire the fact that you two can live together in peace. :) You two have very different outlooks regarding that subject.

Smoke

Done here.
I don't really care about Seth MacFarlane but I have to say that if John really, truly thinks God saved Seth, I admire the fact that you two can live together in peace. :) You two have very different outlooks regarding that subject.
We have very different outlooks on anything that has to do with the supernatural. Fortunately, the supernatural isn't a big part of our life together. :D

Buttercup

Veteran Member
We have very different outlooks on anything that has to do with the supernatural. Fortunately, the supernatural isn't a big part of our life together. :D
Well, I'm on John's side as far as ghosts are concerned. ;) When I meet him in September, we can go off in a corner and scare the bajeebus out of each other. :D

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Funny how God only seems to save those we know either because it is family or when the person is known.

We should do this with every planecrash, every person who missed that flight and then you'll come a lot more savings from God.
In fact, we should try it with caraccidents as well and all people who didn't go or be there where the car crashed. Or about everything else that can kill..

cardero

Citizen Mod
Just as I can imagine and understand why 10,000 people would gather to a musical concert event, it is within my reason to understand why the same amount people could keep their appointment with death. God’s decision had nothing to do with anything. For the people who survived that day, it just wasn’t their time to die.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

There do not seem to be any special interventions by deity. Of course, it would be interesting to hear what Seth MacFarlane thinks of the matter. Perhaps he had a premonition.

There are numerous accounts of people having premonitions of this or that. Assuming at least some of those accounts are true, it still would not necessarily follow that any god we know of sent them. Or that any god at all sent them.

For all our understanding, there might be undiscovered natural mechanisms explaining why someone would in rare cases have a kind of sense or premonition of the future.

Five hundred years ago, before electricity was discovered, St. Elmo's fire was inexplicable. Most people assumed it had supernatural origins. Perhaps 500 years from now, grade school children will study the natural causes of premonitions, or predictive dreams and visions, much like they study electricity today.

I recall reading that in the late 1800s, there was a Zen Master who, a month before his death, mailed "goodbye" post cards to almost a hundred friends and acquaintances. The cards, besides saying "goodbye", accurately and explicitly foretold the day of his death from natural causes. Apparently, the monk thought nothing of it since his premonition hadn't a thing to do with enlightenment, but was just a premonition.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Just as I can imagine and understand why 10,000 people would gather to a musical concert event, it is within my reason to understand why the same amount people could keep their appointment with death. God’s decision had nothing to do with anything. For the people who survived that day, it just wasn’t their time to die.
You are comparing a concert gathering to mass murder???? Do you think the victims were hoping for front row seats to death?
Sorry, just think it's a poor analogy.

blackout

Violet.
None of you even want to know what I think.

(was the flight number 11 also?
twin towers, towers, towers...
somehow that one got by me.
coinkidink after coinkidink.
god must have arranged the whole damned thing.)