• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did God create evil?

Tranquil Servant

Was M.I.A for a while
This question came to me while I watched an Anime movie with my husband on Netflix called "Dante's Inferno". The storyline is a crazy one. There's a lot of Greek mythology mixed in with Christianity. However, towards the end of the movie, a character said to be "Satan, Lucifer, or the Devil" said something which just didn't feel right (maybe because it was coming from a character said to be Satan); He basically said God created evil. Then my husband who is Muslim agreed. I can agree that God created everything in existence but I believe "evil" is something God Knows of because anything that goes against God's will is considered to be a sin or evil. Satan, the fallen angels and mankind came to know sin only after God gave the free will or the choice to choose. God told Adam and Eve not to eat from the tree of knowledge between good and evil. Did Eve know she was committing an evil act when she ate from the tree? Is a sin not considered a sin just because we don't know it's evil? A sin is a sin. why? because when we make a choice inspired by our own desires or based on ideas that did not come from God, It will produce a negative outcome. I believe, God allows us to have a free will so we can learn the difference between good and evil. An evil act is based on intentions and although sometimes we think our intentions are good, God knows better than we do.
This led me to another question. Why has God displayed violence but tells us to refrain from violence? I believe it's because only God can judge and is the only just Judge which means that only he can apply justice in the way he deems necessary. unfortunately, sometimes his judgement requires some to pay with their lives. It is because mankind has placed so much judgement on one another, that this world is in chaos. Micah 7:2-4, Matthew 7:1-3

Last edited:

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Isaiah 45:7 (KJV)
"I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things."

If God is the ultimate source, first cause, and the One of everything, beginning, duration, end, and so forth, then God is the source of good and evil. Nothing can exist outside of God, or God will be less than the greatest.

The problem is rather what the term "evil" means. Evil seems to mean more than just harm to humans. Evil is also chaos, calamity, disruption, separation, etc. In essence, I think it mostly means "whatever we currently don't like or approve of in society." During the Inquisition, people didn't (in general, or publicly) declare torture being evil, but rather means necessary to a good end (salvation of the soul). So "what is evil?" is probably a more difficult question to answer. (In my opinion)

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Isaiah 45:7 was going to be my example (and is my favorite verse).

Skwim

Veteran Member
Isaiah 45:7 (KJV)
"I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things."

If God is the ultimate source, first cause, and the One of everything, beginning, duration, end, and so forth, then God is the source of good and evil. Nothing can exist outside of God, or God will be less than the greatest.

The problem is rather what the term "evil" means. Evil seems to mean more than just harm to humans. Evil is also chaos, calamity, disruption, separation, etc. In essence, I think it mostly means "whatever we currently don't like or approve of in society." During the Inquisition, people didn't (in general, or publicly) declare torture being evil, but rather means necessary to a good end (salvation of the soul). So "what is evil?" is probably a more difficult question to answer. (In my opinion)
I always liked the definition, "morally reprehensible," which implicitly acknowledges your qualifier that takes time and place into consideration.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I always liked the definition, "morally reprehensible," which implicitly acknowledges your qualifier that takes time and place into consideration.
That's true. The only problem there is of course "morally". How is that defined? Not everyone agrees on that one either, but I suspect you have similar or the same view of it as I.

InChrist

Free4ever
This Hebrew word râ‛âh
raah.gif
(Strong's H7451
translated in some versions as evil in Isaiah 45:7 has various definitions, one being calamity. Calamity more properly fits the context showing God's judgment upon sin. This verse in no way refers to moral evil or gives any indication that God created moral evil, which is impossible, because:

1.There exists no unrighteousness in God's character and He can do no moral evil.

"The Rock! His work is perfect, For all His ways are just; A God of faithfulness and without injustice, Righteous and upright is He. Deuteronomy 32:4

"Now then let the fear of the LORD be upon you; be very careful what you do, for the LORD our God will have no part in unrighteousness or partiality or the taking of a bribe." 2 Chronicles. 19;7

"Therefore, listen to me, you men of understanding. Far be it from God to do wickedness, And from the Almighty to do wrong. Job 34;10

For You are not a God who takes pleasure in wickedness; No evil dwells with You. Psalm 5:4

To declare that the LORD is upright; He is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in Him. Psalm 92;15

2. Moral evil is the absence of moral good and occurs apart from the goodness of God, when one chooses to sin and commit evil.

Thus says the LORD, "What injustice did your fathers find in Me, That they went far from Me And walked after emptiness and became empty? Jeremiah 2:5

Perversity is in his heart, He devises evil continually, He sows discord.Proverbs 6:!0

The fear of the Lord is to hate evil; Pride and arrogance and the evil way And the perverse mouth I hate.Proverbs 8:13

The face of the Lord is against those who do evil, To cut off the remembrance of them from the earth. Psalm 34:16

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
This Hebrew word râ‛âh
raah.gif
(Strong's H7451
translated in some versions as evil in Isaiah 45:7 has various definitions, one being calamity.

Used for the word evil in "The Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil", wickedness and evil in Genesis 6, and in Isaiah as well:

"Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil"
"Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the evil, and choose the good."
"He that walketh righteously, and speaketh uprightly; he that despiseth the gain of oppressions, that shaketh his hands from holding of bribes, that stoppeth his ears from hearing of blood, and shutteth his eyes from seeing evil;"

Skwim

Veteran Member
This Hebrew word râ‛âh
raah.gif
(Strong's H7451
translated in some versions as evil in Isaiah 45:7 has various definitions, one being calamity. Calamity more properly fits the context showing God's judgment upon sin. This verse in no way refers to moral evil or gives any indication that God created moral evil, which is impossible,
By purposely qualifying the evil as "moral" evil, I assume you feel he did create natural evil. Interesting.

(The types of evil)

Last edited:

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
1.There exists no unrighteousness in God's character and He can do no moral evil.
Creating evil and doing moral evil could be viewed as two different things. Does any of the verses say that God can't create an evil agent (like Satan)? Or did Satan create himself? Did evil create itself? How can anything come into existence outside of God's control? If God didn't control it, but knew about it, then he was at least a passive conspirateur for the creation of the existence of evil. And so forth...

Skwim

Veteran Member
Creating evil and doing moral evil could be viewed as two different things. Does any of the verses say that God can't create an evil agent (like Satan)? Or did Satan create himself? Did evil create itself? How can anything come into existence outside of God's control? If God didn't control it, but knew about it, then he was at least a passive conspirateur for the creation of the existence of evil. And so forth...
icon14.gif

Awoon

Nobody ever quotes about the "evil"
in Jeremiah 24. Why not?

Jeremiah 24 is a joke correct? Talking about the "naughty" and "evil" figs. God created them so it is written, so it is true?
AHHH HA HA HA HA LOL LOL

InChrist

Free4ever
By purposely qualifying the evil as "moral" evil, I assume you feel he did create natural evil. Interesting.

(The types of evil)

The scriptures indicate that natural evil or natural disasters like famines, floods, etc. are either the result of sin and the fall which has impacted all creation or at times they are the result of God's judgment.

InChrist

Free4ever

I don't believe God can create an evil agent. The scriptures reveal that everything God created was "good". Satan, originally Lucifer was created as a good angelic being, yet iniquity arose from within himself. As I previously said, evil is the absence of God's goodness. When Lucifer turned from the wisdom and goodness of God to himself evil developed within his thoughts and then became actions. Satan is solely responsible for this willful choice. Yes, God knew allowing created beings to have the choice to willing trust Him or willfully rebel could open the door for evil to occur. Yet, this choice had to be available if God's desire was to create beings who would have the ability to freely choose love and goodness. Those who reject the love and goodness of God, as Satan did, bear the responsibility of evil in their own lives.

InChrist

Free4ever
Nobody ever quotes about the "evil"
in Jeremiah 24. Why not?

Jeremiah 24 is a joke correct? Talking about the "naughty" and "evil" figs. God created them so it is written, so it is true?
AHHH HA HA HA HA LOL LOL

What is your question about concerning the bad figs?

Skwim

Veteran Member
The scriptures indicate that natural evil or natural disasters like famines, floods, etc. are either the result of sin and the fall which has impacted all creation or at times they are the result of God's judgment.
This indicates that all such events occur as either retribution for human sin or as judgements of god. However, while often affecting human life, they sometimes don't. Not all earthquakes, lightening strikes, floods, tsunamis, tornadoes, and so on, impact people. So why these wasted shots at humanity? And when they do involve people, why would god use such a scatter-shot method; as if each and everyone is equally worthy of his wrath? In any case, these disasters are evils, evils that god instigated or sanctions.

Evil is as evil does.

The scriptures reveal that everything God created was "good".
Just as it quotes him as saying he created evil. So what is the good Christian to do, celebrate evil because it's another blessing from god, OR just pretend Isaiah 45:7 doesn't exist?

Last edited:

Tranquil Servant

Was M.I.A for a while
New International Version (©2011)
I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster; I, the LORD, do all these things.
New Living Translation (©2007)
I create the light and make the darkness. I send good times and bad times. I, the LORD, am the one who does these things.
English Standard Version (©2001)
I form light and create darkness, I make well-being and create calamity, I am the LORD, who does all these things.
New American Standard Bible (©1995)
The One forming light and creating darkness, Causing well-being and creating calamity; I am the LORD who does all these.
King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
Holman Christian Standard Bible (©2009)
I form light and create darkness, I make success and create disaster; I, Yahweh, do all these things."
International Standard Version (©2012)
"I form light and create darkness, I make goodness and create disaster. I am the LORD, who does all these things.
NET Bible (©2006)
I am the one who forms light and creates darkness; the one who brings about peace and creates calamity. I am the LORD, who accomplishes all these things.
GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
I make light and create darkness. I make blessings and create disasters. I, the LORD, do all these things.
King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create calamity: I the LORD do all these things.

????

Tranquil Servant

Was M.I.A for a while
I don't believe God can create an evil agent. The scriptures reveal that everything God created was "good". Satan, originally Lucifer was created as a good angelic being, yet iniquity arose from within himself. As I previously said, evil is the absence of God's goodness. When Lucifer turned from the wisdom and goodness of God to himself evil developed within his thoughts and then became actions. Satan is solely responsible for this willful choice. Yes, God knew allowing created beings to have the choice to willing trust Him or willfully rebel could open the door for evil to occur. Yet, this choice had to be available if God's desire was to create beings who would have the ability to freely choose love and goodness. Those who reject the love and goodness of God, as Satan did, bear the responsibility of evil in their own lives.
Well said:)

Tranquil Servant

Was M.I.A for a while
At first the evil impulse is as fragile as the thread of a spider, but eventually it becomes as tough as cart ropes —Babylonian Talmud

Corruption is like a ball of snow, when once set a roll, it must increase —Charles Caleb Colton

Evil enters like a needle and spreads like an oak tree —Ethiopian proverb

Evils in the journey of life are like the hills which alarm travelers on the road. Both appear great at a distance, but when we approach them we find they are far less insurmountable than we had conceived —Charles Caleb Colton

Our sins, like our shadows when day is in its glory, scarce appear; toward evening, how great and monstrous they are! —Sir John Suckling

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I don't believe God can create an evil agent. The scriptures reveal that everything God created was "good". Satan, originally Lucifer was created as a good angelic being, yet iniquity arose from within himself. As I previously said, evil is the absence of God's goodness.
How can there be any absence from God or anything different than God? It must be something new and something different, or it did exist as a potential thing before it became real. Satan can't create an absence of God's goodness unless God allows it.

When Lucifer turned from the wisdom and goodness of God to himself evil developed within his thoughts and then became actions. Satan is solely responsible for this willful choice. Yes, God knew allowing created beings to have the choice to willing trust Him or willfully rebel could open the door for evil to occur.
God also supposedly knew that Satan would turn, before Satan turned. God must've known what he created when he created Satan before Satan became that "absence".

Yet, this choice had to be available if God's desire was to create beings who would have the ability to freely choose love and goodness. Those who reject the love and goodness of God, as Satan did, bear the responsibility of evil in their own lives.
Two issues: Satan and "those" (i.e. people). God supposedly knew about both before either one happened. He's culpable.