• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Christianity Start with Jesus?

Skywalker

Oh did he? That's interesting. Do you believe him? Did you ask him why did he say that? Furthermore, Skywalker, why do you think God did not tell Moses or the nation of israel to pray in the name of Jesus.

I believe him and I didnt ask him why he said it. Moses didn't know of the name of Jesus but like Job he believed that God was his advocate mediator and redeemer. The book of Hebrews called Moses a hero of faith so we know that Moses had faith in the Messiah.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I believe him and I didnt ask him why he said it. Moses didn't know of the name of Jesus but like Job he believed that God was his advocate mediator and redeemer. The book of Hebrews called Moses a hero of faith so we know that Moses had faith in the Messiah.
Isn't the holy spirit supposed to be a person, equal to the other two God persons? So why would he say too much attention is put on him if they're all three persons equal? I'll go over this later hopefully in greater detail.

YoursTrue

The Jews were certainly looking for a Messiah, obviously from the answers here, some still are looking. But ... Jesus we know died and was raised from the grave. Or tomb. Didn't they offer animal sacrifices for sin offerings? They didn't pray in the name of the animal sacrifices. Thanks for bringing that up. The preaching to spirits in prison is a long-er story, maybe we can go over that later if you'd like. But again, the Jews didn't pray in the name of Jesus. And most I would say didn't pray in the name of of the Messiah. Let's keep the hope that Jesus brought us and which will be fulfilled some day. That is peace, love, and perfect life under the rule of... God's SON. Which he will pass on to his father after everything is brought to perfection under Christ. That is in 1 Corinthians 15, verses 24-28.

YoursTrue

Yes, Moses had faith (in God), and God was pleased with him, but -- nothing in the Hebrew scriptures indicates that prayers to God the Almighty were to be offered in the name of animal sacrifices. Or a messiah. Every prayer in the Hebrew scriptures (those in the Bible before the appearance of Christ) was directed to God, whose name is YHWH, Yahweh, or Jehovah in English depending on how you want to say it. suggest you read more about that in the Torah and the book of Hebrews. Besides, the Messiah (or God's SON) did not come down from heaven and sacrifice himself in Moses time. He was WITH God, his Father, in heaven until then. Then he went back to heaven after his resurrection.
1 John 4:12 - "No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us."
Do you think John was kidding when he said that?

YoursTrue

Please look at Zechariah 4:6 and tell me what you think. Thanks.

Skywalker

Isn't the holy spirit supposed to be a person, equal to the other two God persons? So why would he say too much attention is put on him if they're all three persons equal? I'll go over this later hopefully in greater detail.

Yahweh is a reference to the entire Trinity. People associate God the Father with Yahweh because the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are the Trinity, and Yahweh is a different term that doesn't refer to Jesus specifically.

Should we worship the Holy Spirit? | GotQuestions.org

Skywalker

Yes, Moses had faith (in God), and God was pleased with him, but -- nothing in the Hebrew scriptures indicates that prayers to God the Almighty were to be offered in the name of animal sacrifices. Or a messiah. Every prayer in the Hebrew scriptures (those in the Bible before the appearance of Christ) was directed to God, whose name is YHWH, Yahweh, or Jehovah in English depending on how you want to say it. suggest you read more about that in the Torah and the book of Hebrews. Besides, the Messiah (or God's SON) did not come down from heaven and sacrifice himself in Moses time. He was WITH God, his Father, in heaven until then. Then he went back to heaven after his resurrection.
1 John 4:12 - "No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us."
Do you think John was kidding when he said that?

Job's prays mentioned his Redeemer. Bible Gateway passage: Job 9:33 - New International Version

Bible Gateway passage: Job 19:25-27 - New International Version

Yahweh is a reference to the Trinity, which includes Jesus.

No one has ever seen God is a reference to God in his fullness. People saw the son of God in the Old Testament, like Daniel and Moses, who both saw Jesus. Who is the Angel of the Lord? | BibleProject™

The Fourth Man in the Fire

YoursTrue

Yahweh is a reference to the entire Trinity. People associate God the Father with Yahweh because the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are the Trinity, and Yahweh is a different term that doesn't refer to Jesus specifically.

Should we worship the Holy Spirit? | GotQuestions.org
So you do know that the word LORD in capital letters in the Hebrew scriptures in many English translations really is the tetragrammaton, right? And you do know what the tetragrammaton is, don't you?

Skywalker

So you do know that the word LORD in capital letters in the Hebrew scriptures in many English translations really is the tetragrammaton, right? And you do know what the tetragrammaton is, don't you?

The personal conviction of Jewish people is that it's not respectful to say God's name. I believe that the tetragrammaton is a reference to the Triune God.

YoursTrue

The personal conviction of Jewish people is that it's not respectful to say God's name. I believe that the tetragrammaton is a reference to the Triune God.
Even the King James Bible and many others have decided to translate the Hebrew Tetragrammaton as LORD. Going back to your point about your minister saying that he thinks the holy spirit is given too much attention, again -- aren't the three godpersons supposed to be equal? If your answer is yes, why would someone say that one of the three godpersons is being given too much attention? Any idea?

Skywalker

Even the King James Bible and many others have decided to translate the Hebrew Tetragrammaton as LORD. Going back to your point about your minister saying that he thinks the holy spirit is given too much attention, again -- aren't the three godpersons supposed to be equal? If your answer is yes, why would someone say that one of the three godpersons is being given too much attention? Any idea?

The term Tetragrammaton is different from focusing on spiritual experiences involving the Holy Spirit. God is about a relationship not about experiences. 4Discernment | Kundalini Spirit

YoursTrue

The term Tetragrammaton is different from focusing on spiritual experiences involving the Holy Spirit. God is about a relationship not about experiences. 4Discernment | Kundalini Spirit
So if these three supposed godpersons are supposed to be equal and comprise one entity, why would someone say the holy spirit supposed equal godperson is getting too much attention?

Skywalker

If the three supposed Godpersons are supposed to be equal, why would you believe that the holy spirit or supposed 3rd godperson equal to the other two godpersons gets too much attention?

I don't agree with everything my pastor says, but I agree with him to the extent of religious ecstasy is not of God.

YoursTrue

I don't agree with everything my pastor says, but I agree with him to the extent of religious ecstasy is not of God.
I see. Either the three godpersons are equal or they're not. Now I understand more about what you're talking about if I understand correctly. So do you think, if I understand you correctly, that a church where people are talking in tongues, rolling on the floor, etc., are giving too much attention to the 3rd supposedly equal godperson of the trinity.

Skywalker

I see. Either the three godpersons are equal or they're not. Now I understand more about what you're talking about if I understand correctly. So do you think, if I understand you correctly, that a church where people are talking in tongues, rolling on the floor, etc., are giving too much attention to the 3rd supposedly equal godperson of the trinity.

I agree with you but I also think that some teachings in Christianity distort who the Holy Spirit is.