• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Christianity Start with Jesus?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
YoursTrue said : “You know it's interesting that many of the things quoted or summarized are not in the holy scriptures as put together in the early part of the centuries after Christ, including the books written by Paul, Peter, John, James and Jude, as well as the gospel accounts. (post #408)

Hi @YoursTrue

Just as your Jehovahs Witness religion produces literature in addition to the scriptures that explains their doctrines and interpretations of scriptures, the early Christians also produced a great deal of similar types of literature that explained their different doctrines and their interpretations of scriptures.

In the case of historical research regarding how early Judeo-Christians saw themselves and what their doctrines were and how they interpreted the scriptures of the apostolic age, one can view their own writings that describe their own beliefs and their own interpretations of their own scriptures in their own words.

Keep in mind, their religion of the peri c.e. era is not the same as your own religion of the 1800s (approx.) and there are many questions about their beliefs and their interpretations that are not in the texts of the modern, western bible which most of us grew up with.

Keep in mind that history is not done by limiting historical data streams but by widening and increasing the historical data as much as possible. To limit the stream of historical data regarding early, everyday historical “normative” Christianity and what it was like will cause you to have less historical knowledge about early, everyday historical “normative” Christians. You cannot do history that way.

YoursTrue asked : "The "older Jewish religion"? What's that? (post #410)

Just as the original “Jesus movement” evolved, and doctrines and practices changed, and schisms formed with different beliefs, Judaism had already undergone this same process before.

Original Religion having prophets was, for example, a “vertically” oriented religion that was characterized by revelation from God to prophets while the Judaisms of later centuries evolved into “horizontally” oriented religions that looked to inspired books and traditions created by the earlier vertical Judaism.

For example, when Justin Martyr had his debate with the Jew Trypho, Justin pointed out that the charismatic and revelatory and prophetic gifts had passed from Judaism of his age and to the Christian movement which still received revelations and still had prophets.

It was in this way that early Christianity was also a “vertically” oriented religion characterized by prophets and apostles who were receiving revelations.

However, just as the Jewish religions no longer had prophets (and ongoing revelation that accompanied them) and had passed into a “horizontal” phase (i.e. looking to books and traditions created by an earlier Christianity), the many Christianies underwent the same sort of evolution.

I hope is makes sense that good history requires more historical data rather than less data and the difference between original religion with it's revelation from God to prophets versus later religion with it's tendency to rely on earlier books and earlier traditions.

I hope your journey is good YoursTrue.

Clear
φυειφισιω

Thank you. My journey has been both gratifying and successful, in that my faith has increased as time goes on. I appreciate the information that the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society publishes. I read material not published by Jehovah's Witnesses as well, so I do not say I do not appreciate other information. I have been associated with other religious groups and if I thought and believed they worshipped God as Jesus Christ outlines, I would feel free to join them. But I don't because I have come to the understanding that what I am learning with Jehovah's Witnesses is the best there is. I hope this helps to explain my position.

YoursTrue

Jesus meant his will was in alignment with the Father when he prayed not my will but thine be done.
Not sure I answered this but I am reading some posts again. Yes, I agree with you. Although he did say in prayer, "Not my will, but yours." So he prayed a lot. He poured out his heart to his Father. Can you imagine the humility of Christ when he prayed like that?
Luke 22:42 - ""Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done."

Skywalker

Not sure I answered this but I am reading some posts again. Yes, I agree with you. Although he did say in prayer, "Not my will, but yours." So he prayed a lot. He poured out his heart to his Father. Can you imagine the humility of Christ when he prayed like that?
Luke 22:42 - ""Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done."

Jesus talking to the Father doesn't mean that he wasn't God.

capumetu

No problem, I just didn't want you to continue with that idea which is why I said something. :) About me not being 'sir.' Thank you. :)
I have come to the decision after much consideration, that God's people are those that also recognize the one true God that Jesus spoke of and prayed to. It is not enough to have knowledge. Many people have knowledge. Knowledge is good, but it is knowledge coupled with action and faith that counts. For instance, it seems clear to me that the earth is going to be a paradise some day under Jesus Christ as king. Another way I identify God's people is their love for their fellowman rather than putting nationalism above that. There is more, but how do you feel about those things?

I feel so strongly for those things it makes me think that you may be my sister. That is exactly what the Bible teaches.

YoursTrue

Jesus talking to the Father doesn't mean that he wasn't God.
Hebrews 5:8 says, "Son though he was, he learned obedience from what he suffered." We have to look at the context of what is being said in many instances.

Skywalker

Hebrews 5:8 says, "Son though he was, he learned obedience from what he suffered." We have to look at the context of what is being said in many instances.

That verse is akin to submission in the marriage-the wife is not lesser than the husband, but there is submission. Some people disagree about whether that submission existed before the fall, but the Bible implies that it is a part of marriage.

YoursTrue

That verse is akin to submission in the marriage-the wife is not lesser than the husband, but there is submission. Some people disagree about whether that submission existed before the fall, but the Bible implies that it is a part of marriage.
The submission is to the husband, and the husband is to be in submission to the Lord.
Skywalker, I really appreciate your interest in these things, because our relationship and understanding of God is crucial to our welfare, now and forever.
Please notice 1 Corinthians 11:3
But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.

Ephesians 1:22
And God put everything under His feet and made Him head over everything for the church,

So two things come to my notice. 1 Cor. 11:3 says the head of every man is Christ. And the head of the woman is man. Does that mean that every man is equal to Christ? How do you feel about that?
Also, Ephesians 1:22 says that God (not Jesus himself) put everything under his (Jesus) feet and made him head over everything for the church. Question -- (Let's just take this step by step) -- would you consider every church equal to Christ? Or that each and every church is God? I mean it says the head of the woman is the man, and the head of every man is Christ and likens that relationship to the church and Christ. (Does that mean that every man is equal to Christ, or is Christ, and every church is equal to Christ?)

Also, God certainly cares for women. He does not think a man is better than a woman. But while descriptions are used, a man is not a woman and a woman is not a man. They have different roles, different capabilities. Both Jesus and Jehovah are now spirit persons. But Jesus acknowledges his Father as his head.
Hebrews 11 - 11 Besides, in connection with the Lord, neither is woman separate from man nor is man separate from woman. 12 For just as the woman is from the man, so also the man is through the woman; but all things are from God.
Jesus is God's son.

Last edited:

YoursTrue

Since Jesus learned obedience to God, he is not the God he learned to obey. God made Eve from Adam's rib. He did not make them in the same way. She from a rib. He from the ground. Even in that manner, the first man and woman were not equal. This does not mean that a man is a woman or a woman is a man. It means that God views them differently, the woman in fact was made after Adam. She was to be his helper. Yet both man and woman are in a position to be saved or blessed by God forever.

Skywalker

Since Jesus learned obedience to God, he is not the God he learned to obey. God made Eve from Adam's rib. He did not make them in the same way. She from a rib. He from the ground. Even in that manner, the first man and woman were not equal. This does not mean that a man is a woman or a woman is a man. It means that God views them differently, the woman in fact was made after Adam. She was to be his helper. Yet both man and woman are in a position to be saved or blessed by God forever.

How do you reconcile Jesus being in obedience to God and being God? Some Christian people don't believe in the Trinity.

YoursTrue

How do you reconcile Jesus being in obedience to God and being God? Some Christian people don't believe in the Trinity.
Well, the Trinity usually says that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are separate but equal, yet composing one God. So far I don't find that formula in the Bible. First one must understand what the word god means and how the Bible determines it. We might ask in what sense is Jesus God, since John 1:1 says that the Word is God and with God. (That's two anyway, not three.) So we know that the Word is Jesus, God's son. And the Word was WITH God. Also yes, it says the Word was God. So it can be perplexing, but basics must be considered. Perhaps you can take a look at A Grand Spokesman—Who Is He? — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY (jw.org) for some further examination of the scriptures. If you have questions about that, you can let me know.

Skywalker

Well, the Trinity usually says that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are separate but equal, yet composing one God. So far I don't find that formula in the Bible. First one must understand what the word god means and how the Bible determines it. We might ask in what sense is Jesus God, since John 1:1 says that the Word is God and with God. (That's two anyway, not three.) So we know that the Word is Jesus, God's son. And the Word was WITH God. Also yes, it says the Word was God. So it can be perplexing, but basics must be considered. Perhaps you can take a look at A Grand Spokesman—Who Is He? — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY (jw.org) for some further examination of the scriptures. If you have questions about that, you can let me know.

Do you agree with the belief of the Godhead is not the Trinity? The Godhead vs The Trinity

YoursTrue

Do you agree with the belief of the Godhead is not the Trinity? The Godhead vs The Trinity
First of all, can you define the trinity? I might add that the word god can be used in different ways and applications. It becomes a bit complex to describe about Jesus and God, remember that anything (in harmony with God's will) asked of the Father must be by means of Jesus. This makes it apparent to me that Jesus is NOT the God he prayed to. He was not equal to his God and Father, but was given great responsibility and power from his Father. Theres more to it, but again, it's important to realize that Jesus is the son of God.

Skywalker

First of all, can you define the trinity? I might add that the word god can be used in different ways and applications. It becomes a bit complex to describe about Jesus and God, remember that anything (in harmony with God's will) asked of the Father must be by means of Jesus. This makes it apparent to me that Jesus is NOT the God he prayed to. He was not equal to his God and Father, but was given great responsibility and power from his Father. Theres more to it, but again, it's important to realize that Jesus is the son of God.

I believe the Trinity exists because people pray to the Father in the name of Jesus. I don't think Jesus is God in a different way than the Father is God. Asking the Father by the means of Jesus shows that the wills of the Father and Jesus are in alignment. They are equal, with different powers and responsibilities. I think that's what it means that Jesus is the Son of God.

YoursTrue

I believe the Trinity exists because people pray to the Father in the name of Jesus. I don't think Jesus is God in a different way than the Father is God. Asking the Father by the means of Jesus shows that the wills of the Father and Jesus are in alignment. They are equal, with different powers and responsibilities. I think that's what it means that Jesus is the Son of God.
In order for prayers to be received by the Father, it was not always required by God to pray in the name of Jesus.

YoursTrue

The Son died and was in the grave 3 days. If you believe in the trinity that means 2 persons called God were alive while one was not.

Skywalker

In order for prayers to be received by the Father, it was not always required by God to pray in the name of Jesus.

My pastor mentioned praying to the Father in the name of Jesus. He also said that some churches focus too much on the Holy Spirit.

Skywalker

The Son died and was in the grave 3 days. If you believe in the trinity that means 2 persons called God were alive while one was not.

The soul and spirit of Jesus wasn't dead-He was preaching to the spirits in prison. In a sense Jesus never died.

YoursTrue

My pastor mentioned praying to the Father in the name of Jesus. He also said that some churches focus too much on the Holy Spirit.
Oh did he? That's interesting. Do you believe him? Did you ask him why did he say that? Furthermore, Skywalker, why do you think God did not tell Moses or the nation of israel to pray in the name of Jesus.