1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Did Christianity Start with Jesus?

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by Nakosis, Oct 26, 2020.

1. YoursTrue

YoursTrue We know gravity by happenstance. (Newton)

Ratings:
    +1,048
    Religion:
    Christian
    More specifically, Skywalker, here's what Jesus said (Matthew 19:9):
    "I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery."
    So Jesus did allow for divorce on the grounds of sexual immorality, with the provision to marry another.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +338
    Religion:
    Christian
    Jesus brought the Old Covenant to a higher standard. He said that Moses permitted divorce because of the hardness of their hearts.

• Like Like x 1
  3. IndigoChild5559

IndigoChild5559 Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

Ratings:
    +2,535
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Yes, the interpretations of the levites and judges, as per Deuteronomy 17:8-13, also known as Oral Torah. You can't have Torah without the Oral Torah.

Jesus supported the Oral Torah quite clearly in Matthew 23:1-3, and again in Matthew 23:23.

4. IndigoChild5559

Ratings:
    +2,535
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Abraham is a historical person. Adam and Eve are not. The story of the garden of Eden is a teaching story, not history.

What does any of this have to do with the fact that the servant mentioned throughout the book of Isaiah is "Israel, my servant, Jacob"?

5. IndigoChild5559

Ratings:
    +2,535
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Why do you ask?

6. IndigoChild5559

Ratings:
    +2,535
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Actually it is the iniquity of Israel that is laid on the remnant of Israel, those who are obedient and faithful.

And I'm sorry, but not only is the passage not messianic, but Jesus just doesn't qualify to be the messiah, since he didn't fulfill the messianic prophecies.

7. Jayhawker Soule

Jayhawker Soule <yawn> ignore </yawn>
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14,378
    Religion:
    Judaism
    This is a statement of faith, not verifiable fact.

8. Ehav4Ever

Ehav4Ever Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +856
    Religion:
    Torath Mosheh
    All of the above can be answered by first addressing the following questions:
    1. Who "exactly" was Jesus?
      • Who is the most authorative source of information for this answer?
    2. What exactly is "Christianity?"
    3. What exactly is Judaism?
    4. Concerning questions 2 and 3 what are the most ancient, authentic, and authorative terms used prior to and during Jesus's lifetime to describe those terms?
    5. What is a "religion" and was this a term being used before or during his time?
    6. Who was the houst of Israel during Jesus' time? Did he actually go out find these "lost sheep?" What are the names of some of the "lost sheep" he or his students "found" if they ever did?
    7. When was the first instance that the term Christianity was used?
      • What language was it first used in?
      • What did the term mean to those who first used it?
    If this questions were answered with sourced and meaningly commentary it would probably go a long way answering your questions.

9. Milton Platt

Milton Platt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,254
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Well, I’m not sure he even existed. But no matter. Yes, he also supposedly said none of the law shall be changed until the heavens snd earth pass away. Fulfilling something is not ending or abolishing it. When you fulfill a request from a friend, you do not negate the request, you do what the request asks.

10. Milton Platt

Milton Platt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,254
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Following Mosaic law was Judaism. Withoit mosaic law there is no Judaism as we know it.

11. metis

metis aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ratings:
    +16,215
    Religion:
    ecumenical & naturalistic Catholic
    Because he was a Jew within the Jewish community, plus we also know he went to synagogue as was within the Temple, which only Jews could go into.

Even though it says it was written by "John on Patmos", some scholars wonder if there's also another author that may have been involved because the writing style is different than what's found in his epistles. Some have even theorized that maybe John the Baptist may have been part author or maybe one of his followers.

Back then, it was "kosher" for a student to write on behalf of his mentor and giving full recognition to the mentor versus themselves.

There's no indication that Jews actually wore them back then.

12. metis

Ratings:
    +16,215
    Religion:
    The charge most likely was what we call "sedition" nowadays, namely an attempt to undermine the Roman government. The reason why theologians are very much in agreement with this is that crucifixion was a Roman form of execution versus stoning that was done under Jewish Law.

Jesus' sedition likely fell under two categories, imo, namely his causing a scene in the Temple area, whereas the money-changers there that worked for the Romans were basically assaulted and, secondly, Jesus talking about his "Kingdom", which certainly would be viewed as a threat since monarchs don't like competition.

Theologians question this, especially since supposedly only Pilate and Jesus were in the room. Pilate was so brutal that he was called back to Rome to account for having so many executions, thus it's not likely he would have granted Jesus mercy.

It seems possible that the blame for this was put on the Jewish crowd that supposedly yelled "Crucify him!" that would have been a subjective way of blaming most Jews who refused to convert into "the Way". But who knows? :shrug:

Not likely "religious-type charges" as I allude to above. The Romans couldn't care less about Jewish Law as long as Jews paid their taxes and kept the order.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. pearl

pearl Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,614
    Religion:
    Catholic
    And at Passover this 'Jewish crowd' were pilgrims from all over the Mediterranean, to celebrate the festival of freedom from foreign domination, but upon arriving they would see many signs of Roman supremacy most of whom never heard of this Jesus when they 'yelled crucify him'.
    According to Mark Jesus was quietly arrested at night on the Mount of Olives. This means that his foes were concerned about his general popularity and feared taking him into custody publicly (cf. Mark 14:2).
    All we have for possible answers is an historical reconstruction. And included in that is always the interests of the gospel authors;
    To have the Church accepted as a legitimate religion in the Roman Empire.

To argue for the Church's way of being Jewish in the aftermath of the Temple's destruction by the Roman in the year 70.
    To explain why the Temple was destroyed. To show that the Church's claim that the Crucified One has been raised is consistent with the Scriptures of ancient Israel.
    In the case of the passion narratives, these factors contributed to a tendency to de-emphasize Roman responsibility and to highlight the role of Jewish figures in bringing about the execution of Jesus.

14. metis

Ratings:
    +16,215
    Religion:
    I'm not certain about that, but...

Nice thought, and you may well be right.

I obviously fully agree.

15. IndigoChild5559

Ratings:
    +2,535
    Religion:
    Judaism
    It's a difference of genre. Genesis 2 is a creation myth. Abraham is oral history that came to be written down. Abraham is as historical as Jesus or the Buddha.

16. metis

Ratings:
    +16,215
    Religion:
    Maybe. ;)

17. Jayhawker Soule

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14,378
    Religion:
    Judaism
    So you claim. And your evidence that Abraham is anything more than a character in an origin myth would be what, precisely?

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +338
    Religion:
    Christian
    There is historical evidence that Moses existed.

19. IndigoChild5559

Ratings:
    +2,535
    Religion:
    Judaism
    The Abraham story is not a creation myth.

20. Jayhawker Soule

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14,378
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Great. Would you mind telling us what that might be, and why purported evidence of Moses is relevant to the question of Abraham's historicity?