• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Christ really exist ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And yet most historians that address the question find the case unconvincing.
Yes, even Bart Ehrman, whom I admire, thinks there was an historical Jesus. However, the spine of his arguments boils down to the two hardy perennials, James the brother of the Lord (Paul) and "everyone who's looked into it thinks so", which is simply an argument from authority.

Yet the account of Paul is not about an historical Jesus but a gnostic demiurge (like John's) who pre-existed in heaven with God and while there created the material universe, something God, being totally pure spirit would never do.

And the account of Mark, which the other three gospels use, can be explained without the need for an historical figure. Matthew and Luke indeed go to enormous lengths to play the game of "messianic prophecy in the Tanakh". For example, the author of Matthew

─ requires Mary to have been a virgin because the LXX in translating Isaiah 7:14 had rendered Hebrew 'almah, young woman, as parthenos, virgin;
─ invents the unhistoric 'Taxation Census' story to get Jesus to be born in Bethlehem to "fulfill" Micah 5:2
─ invents the unhistoric 'Massacre of the Innocents' story to get Jesus into Egypt to "fulfill" Hosea 11.1.
─ and absurdly sits Jesus across a foal and a donkey to ride into Jerusalem "to fulfill prophecy" (Matthew 21:2-5) in Zechariah 9.9.​

So I remain on the fence, looking for something decisive to show an authentic historical figure, but not holding my breath. There may have been an historical Jesus, there may not have been. And if there was, we know very little about him.

... the respected historian Will Durant said:"That a few simple men should in one generation have invented so powerful and appealing a personality, so lofty an ethic and so inspiring a vision of human brotherhood, would be a miracle far more incredible than any recorded in the Gospel"....

I think that is a good point. And I think it is also good to notice, if the disciples were persecuted as told in the Bible, it would be reasonable to assume that the rulers tried everything to destroy any writings about Jesus. That is why it would be no miracle, if we don’t find much evidence from that era.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think that is a good point.
But Will Durant's point ─ "powerful", "appealing", "lofty", "inspiring" ─ given one agrees with it at all, would apply equally to a fictitious as a real Jesus.

Indeed, Harry Potter has a fair claim to those adjectives, no?
if the disciples were persecuted as told in the Bible, it would be reasonable to assume that the rulers tried everything to destroy any writings about Jesus. That is why it would be no miracle, if we don’t find much evidence from that era.
While it's well documented that the Christians of coming centuries showed remarkable enthusiasm for burning the books of classical Greece and Rome, I don't know any historical basis for the claim that this was Jewish practice in 1st century Judea.

What evidence are you basing your remark on?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Yes, even Bart Ehrman, whom I admire, thinks there was an historical Jesus. However, the spine of his arguments boils down to the two hardy perennials, James the brother of the Lord (Paul) and "everyone who's looked into it thinks so", which is simply an argument from authority.

That is simply not true.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
You seem to be making some sort of assumption/assertion about my beliefs, which I have not actually stated.
Possibly.

On the other hand you offered:
I've read a number of books by those arguing he was nothing but a myth...some tough arguments, many of which contradict the idea that Jesus' story was unique in the Roman world. ...

So, a couple of questions:
  • What were these tough arguments that you found worthy of honorable mention?
  • Would you agree that Price is an outlier among his peers and why do you think that might be?

Brian2

Veteran Member

Brian2

Veteran Member
The Illiad is full of magic but Troy really existed.
The Arthur saga is full of magic but historians belief that a king existed in Britain who united at least some tribes.
There may have been a house of Nibelungen.

Sagas and legends often get embellished with magic. The task is to find the truth between the lines.

That does not mean that any magic in the stories is not true.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Apparently.
An appeal to authority? okay. Just because someone is mainstream does not mean they are right; being an outlier does not mean they are wrong...as I think you said before, so I'm not sure what your point is.

I happen to believe one ought to read and consider the arguments offered, and to try to understand them...and frankly, I have no great need to make a choice between any number of positions that various authors have staked on any of the subjects I've read about.

And in the field of historical interpretation of limited texts and even more limited artifacts, there's a good possibility that MANY have good, valid points, but don't have the whole truth of the matter...and again, I can hold those contrasting points of view in mind with exploding because I know I don't have to pick one or another.

...tough arguments...

okay, maybe a bad choice of words...arguments that are interesting to think about, some of which are difficult to follow or are not easy to resolve without information that I am not privy to...I point to Carrier here, and his attack on historicity using Bayesian statistics.

Sorry to disappoint, but I am not interested in taking on advancing the mythicist position: I don't hold it, but neither do I not hold it.

Brian2

Veteran Member
But Ehrman would ridicule your idea that "Paul wrote at a time very close to the death of Jesus" too.

Pauls writings are two decades after Jesus. Ask Ehrman. :)

2 decades may be right, but Paul was around and became a Christian long before he wrote epistles.

Brian2

Veteran Member
It makes their testimony third-hand at best...could be accurate...or not...or some degree in between...

That's historians for you. Even Luke says he got his information from witnesses and those who were there from the beginning so even he as a historian was no eye witness.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Respected first century historian who wrote about Christ are:
Cornelius Tacitus, Suetonius, Pliny the Younger, Flavius Josephus
All of them but one wrote about Christians, not about Jesus himself.

And with Josephus, out of his two passages that mention Jesus:

- the remarkable one is a later forgery.
- the one that seems genuine doesn't make Jesus seem remarkable at all; Josephus describes him as "the so-called Christ."

So Josephus seems to suggest - though IMO not definitely - that Jesus was a real person, but not that he was a literal god-man.

Wandering Monk

- the one that seems genuine doesn't make Jesus seem remarkable at all; Josephus describes him as "the so-called Christ."

So Josephus seems to suggest - though IMO not definitely - that Jesus was a real person, but not that he was a literal god-man.

Yeah, the Arabic Josephus document is much more toned down about Jesus.

Brian2

Veteran Member

Just who Jesus was is a matter of belief. Josephus was a Jew, and so "the so called Christ" is to be expected.

firedragon

Veteran Member
More conservative scholars who rely on the internal and external evidence without assumptions that the destruction of the temple prophecy means they were written post 70 AD.

Earlier you said "The gospels are dated to between 20 and 40 years after Jesus death, except for John's gospel which was written late in the century."

So which scholars dated them in which date range? after 70 AD or between 20-40 years after Jesus? They are two different dates you had given.

Status
Not open for further replies.