• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Christ Have An Ego?

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
Was Christ his own person or was he gifted with divine Ego? He went around washing feet and handing out miracles, teaching in parables.

Dear Salty Booger

Ego is an effect of experiencing existence through a body. As a manifested being, Christ had an Ego but like all of us, he had a choice between following the Will of Ego or following the Will of God (Divine Will) and, as Christ, he had the willpower to better succeed in following the latter.

That Christ too should have struggled with his Ego (during his first 30 years) is a fundamental part of him as the Saviour to Mankind:

Through his experience of being human (with all our weaknesses and trials), Christ ”showed” why Man fails to live by Divine Will. And it was this that allowed for the forgiving and salvation of Mankind.

Humbly
Hermit

samtonga43

It is demonstrably not justified because of the things He should have known were God feeding Him information, such as that physical death is older than humanity, and caused by chemical decomposition as opposed to sin.
What makes you think that Christ thought that physical death is caused by sin? (He may have thought this, but You seem sure about it).

What makes you sure?

danieldemol

Premium Member
What makes you think that Christ thought that physical death is caused by sin? (He may have thought this, but You seem sure about it).

What makes you sure?
I'm not sure of it, because we can't know with historical certainty a great deal of what Jesus thought, but that is the dogmatic image of Christ that is often fed to people, so it is still valid to critique it imo.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I think he only seems humble to those who follow and agree with him.
He cursed Chorazin, Beth Saida and Capernaum just because they did not receive him well. Then he says that deliverance is only though him (I am the gate etc.). Very egoistic. It does not lie well in the mouth of God's only anointed son.
The only thing I can remember is that he once got angry at the money changers in the Temple.
He got angry with a class-mate also. Stared at him and the class-mate fell dead. Then he made the swine fall off the cliff.

Last edited:

Brian2

Veteran Member
He cursed Chorazin, Beth Saida and Capernaum just because they did not receive him well. Then he says that deliverance is only though him (I am the gate etc.). Very egoistic. It does not lie well in the mouth of God's only anointed son.He got angry with a class-mate also. Stared at him and the class-mate fell dead. Then he made the swine fall off the cliff.

I don't know anything about any murder of any class-mate in the gospel stories.
The swine ran off the cliff when Jesus cast them out of a person and Jesus allowed them to go into the herd of swine.
Jesus as the Messiah came to judge the Jews according to the prophecies so He had authority to do that and He judged them on their faith in what God was doing through Him.
As the Messiah who came to die for everyone's sins, salvation is indeed through Him, as the prophecies state.

Brian2

Veteran Member
If Jesus thought He was the only way to God He sure was arrogant.

Jesus did say that He is the way, the truth and the life and that no one can come to the Father but through Him.
He is the judge of us all as the man who is divine and so even after death it is He who judges whether we are allowed to the Father, and He offers a bypass of this judgement for those who truly have faith in Him.

Brian2

Veteran Member
It is demonstrably not justified because of the things He should have known were God feeding Him information, such as that physical death is older than humanity, and caused by chemical decomposition as opposed to sin.

How do you know He did not know about death in animals and plants and about why death entered into the world for humans,,,,,,,,sin?

Brian2

Veteran Member
The Golden Rule is basically self-centered arrogance because what "I" want is no suitable basis for conduct or morality. It's likely I may want and be ok with things that others aren't. Sexual conduct and flirting, for example, are areas where the only proper approach is to consider others. The one doing it may be ok with it and have harmless fun with others, but there are going to be those made uncomfortable by such gestures and remarks.

And here is me thinking that the Golden Rule was simple to understand.
Actually Jesus was not making something up but was quoting what is in the Torah. From this site:
Golden Rule - Wikipedia
<<<The "Golden Rule" of Leviticus 19:18 was quoted by Jesus of Nazareth (Matthew 7:12; see also Luke 6:31) and described by him as the second great commandment. The common English phrasing is "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you". A similar form of the phrase appeared in a Catholic catechism around 1567 (certainly in the reprint of 1583).[32] The Golden Rule is stated positively numerous times in the Old Testament: Leviticus 19:18 ("Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD."; see also Great Commandment) and Leviticus 19:34 ("But treat them just as you treat your own citizens. Love foreigners as you love yourselves, because you were foreigners one time in Egypt. I am the Lord your God.").>>>

I think it is easy to understand when approached in the right spirit.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Does ego necessarily imply a sense of arrogance or superiority? I see it as more a wrapping around the spirit, built on one's experiences of life.

I'm not really sure what "ego" is. I think it is seen differently by different people.
Does it mean pride? Does it mean seeing oneself as an individual? Maybe there are also other ways of understanding it.
Jesus seems to have seen Himself as an individual but also as joined to humanity and joined to God, and He taught against pride.
He certainly was a hypocrite or insane if He was not telling the truth about who He is. Arrogance is probably too judgemental a term for someone who actually did fulfil the Messianic prophecies.
I think "ego" is a nuanced word.

Clara Tea

Washing feet is the work of a scullery maid, not the son of the creator of the universe (or was God, depending on your belief). He served man selflessly and guided future generations. It is a pity that mankind drowns out the messages of God (built golden calf, made wars...etc.) Often fear drowns out the voice of God. Example: Al Qaeda attacked the US, so fear gripped the nation and war ensued (rather than putting our faith in God and turning the other cheek).

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I think it is easy to understand when approached in the right spirit.
It's easy to understand. It's a very poor basis of morality because morality cannot be properly assessed by what I want. What one person may be OK with, anither may not. This creates a conflict with the Golden Rule, and it permits the one who wants it done to act even if another were to object. "Well, thats how I want to be treated" and the offender is living and justified by the Golden Rule.
The resurrection of Jesus was not witnessed by all and the raising of Lazarus etc was also not witnessed by all. At best the Romans would have been recording hearsay and superstitious beliefs of fanatics. Why would they do that? The Talmud does see Jesus as a miracle worker however.
Someone the Romans executed returns to life, they would have documented it.
Amd the Talmud? Thats a later part, added post Gospels, and thats if it reefers to Christ (would be odd for a religion that outright rejects him).

Somebody had to come as the Christ, the Son of God, if the prophecies are not lies.
Jesus failed those prophecies. Thus his ego is so over inflated it's arrogance.

danieldemol

Premium Member
How do you know He did not know about death in animals and plants and about why death entered into the world for humans,,,,,,,,sin?
Read post #25, then if your question still isn't answered please re-phrase it, because your question seems loaded with the assumption that death did enter the world for humans due to sin. Which is demonstrably incorrect since the lineage traced back through the Bible accounts to Adam only goes back about 6,000 years, we have human fossils that are much much older than that.

Also where in the Bible does it say death entered the world "for humans", as far as I know there was no death at all in the Eden narrative until Adam eats of the fruit.