• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Bill The Science Guy Just "Step" In It?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
A collection of scientists using information covering a wide variety of disciplines concluded that Earth has about twice the population now that it can safely hold under the best of conditions. The article on this I read in Scientific American about three years ago.

Population growth should be of concern and for a variety of reasons.

esmith

Veteran Member
Where did he actually say that? Because that article certainly doesn't quote him saying it.
from the article:
Travis Rieder, a bioethicist at Johns Hopkins University, said he believed it was a good idea.
“I do think that we should at least consider it,” he told Nye.
“Well, ‘at least consider it’ is like ‘Do it,'” Nye said.

esmith

Veteran Member
But he doesn't say that they should do it. His guest simply answered that they should "consider it" and he replied that such an answer is similar to "do it".

Where does he actually say that people should be penalized for having extra kids?
you can read it any way that suites you

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Seems that Bill the Science Guy thinks people should be penalized for having extra kids in the developed world.
http://nypost.com/2017/04/26/bill-nye-should-we-penalize-parents-for-having-extra-kids/

I don't know that he "stepped in it." The concern about overpopulation is not exactly new, although it's not as big a problem in the developed world as in the developing world.

I don't think parents should be penalized for having too many kids, although there are some things that could be done, such as encouraging the culture and norms to change, as the other panelist was quoted as saying. I suppose they could also limit the number of perks and tax deductions that come with having more children.

Another panelist took issue with that and said it was a human rights issue and that "people should have the number of children they want." That's all well and good, but what about the rights of the children, born to irresponsible parents who have more children than they can afford?

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
you can read it any way that suites you
Well, I think your reading certainly gives truth to that statement.

But, then again, no. Bill Nye simply did not say what you are implying he did - and that's not a matter of "interpretation", it is a matter of fact.

esmith

Veteran Member
I was reading somewhere or heard it somewhere but I think it was that China was having a problem due to the ratio of men to women due to China's one child policy a few years back.

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.
Free access to safe birth control and family planning services should take care of this issue.

If we can work to eliminate religious oppression in this matter, then there won't be a need for government intervention.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Why does everyone give so much credence to what television personalities and celebrities say?
He is educated with a b.s. in mechanical engineering. At least that's more than what a lot of celebrities actually have these days to go on. I'd give him that much. ;o)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I was reading somewhere or heard it somewhere but I think it was that China was having a problem due to the ratio of men to women due to China's one child policy a few years back.
That's something to consider. One set of problems can lead to another.

Skwim

Veteran Member
from the article:
facepalm2.gif
How about reading it as it was put: a question.

“Should we have policies that penalize people for having extra kids in the developed world?

Questions ARE NOT assertions.

And Nye's follow up remark:

Well, ‘at least consider it’ is like ‘Do it,'”
is only a clarification of what Travis Rieder,said:

"I do think that we should at least consider it.”

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Seems that Bill the Science Guy thinks people should be penalized for having extra kids in the developed world.
http://nypost.com/2017/04/26/bill-nye-should-we-penalize-parents-for-having-extra-kids/
He stepped in big stink'n sacred doodoo.
The answer will be a resounding yes.
This is because our population will continue to increase
to the point that we find further increase unacceptable.
But people don't think about ever facing that future.
It will just hit us smack between the eyes some day.