• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Biden Step In It?

esmith

Veteran Member
No, it's not a felony on the second offense. Always fact check RW media and stop taking their word that a DUI is a felony. A small % of DUI's are felonies. And if someone's DUI fell into that serious category, it sounds like Biden would have them deported. Due to stating he wants "felons to be deported"
Well @tytlyf you done stepped in it yourself by posting a big fat falsehood. It all depends on the State. Try to do a little research.
When is a DUI a Felony in California? | Law Office of Vikas Bajaj, APC
Felony DUI Charges
Sometimes, driving under the influence is charged as a felony offense in California. A DUI will be a felony if:

1. Drunk driving caused another person to be seriously injured or killed
  2. You have three or more DUI convictions in a 10-year period, or
  3. You have previously been convicted of felony DUI.
And CA isn't the only state. I would have used my State laws but I suspect you and other would only say that Idaho is such a RW flyover State.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Well @tytlyf you done stepped in it yourself by posting a big fat falsehood. It all depends on the State. Try to do a little research.
Felony DUI Charges
Sometimes, driving under the influence is charged as a felony offense in California. A DUI will be a felony if:

And CA isn't the only state. I would have used my State laws but I suspect you and other would only say that Idaho is such a RW flyover State.

These are very specific circumstances that doesn't account for the majority of DUIs which are non fatal. Not saying a DUI is good, but it takes a very specific set of circumstances for it to be a felony, ie vehicular manslaughter, or multiple offenses.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
They majority of DUI's are not felonies, by a long shot. We have people here thinking a 2nd DUI is automatically a felony. Even a 3rd DUI isn't a felony.
Not thinking, it's a fact in a lot of states including the people's republic of New York.

We Never Know

No Slack
They majority of DUI's are not felonies, by a long shot. We have people here thinking a 2nd DUI is automatically a felony. Even a 3rd DUI isn't a felony.

It depends on the state. The state I live in says...

In Oklahoma, any person who is charged with driving under the influence within 10 years of a conviction in a court of record can be charged with a felony offense. This means that a second DUI within 10 years of a prior DUI conviction can be a felony.

https://www.okdui.com/oklahomaduipunishment.html

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Biden was speaking in relative terms.

And how can someone who supports Trump honestly accuse Biden of "stepping in it" without being 100% hypocritical? Trump doesn't just "step in it"-- he needs flippers and a snorkel.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Felony DUI Charges

You created the thread thinking you had something, you never have something due to your sources. Spin away.

tytlyf

Not Religious
It depends on the state. The state I live in says...

In Oklahoma, any person who is charged with driving under the influence within 10 years of a conviction in a court of record can be charged with a felony offense. This means that a second DUI within 10 years of a prior DUI conviction can be a felony.

https://www.okdui.com/oklahomaduipunishment.html
We're talking about normal dui's which happen 90% of the time. We're not and Biden was not focusing on those extreme cases. If Biden was, that would have been mentioned in the interview.

This is just RW media trying to distract their audience with another fake news story to rile them up. Dangerous.

esmith

Veteran Member
All I'm saying that Biden may have displeased MADD. They seem to take any drunk driving very seriously. Of course I understand the IDGAS attitude of some members here because President Trump was not the person who said it.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Seems that Joe doesn't think that drunk driving is a big thing according to an interview with Vice News.
Biden Says Only Felons Should Be Deported And He Doesn't ‘Count Drunk Driving as a Felony’ | National Review

If it's a felony a lot of US citizens need to go to jail as well. I personally believe we need much harsher penalties for Drunk driving and have no problem making it a felony with less of driving rights no exceptions and of course deportations for noncitizens. Not one without the other though.

We Never Know

No Slack
We're talking about normal dui's which happen 90% of the time. We're not and Biden was not focusing on those extreme cases. If Biden was, that would have been mentioned in the interview.

This is just RW media trying to distract their audience with another fake news story to rile them up. Dangerous.

My post was about 2 DWI's in a 10 year period can be a felony charge. Do you consider 2 DWI's in a 10 years period as extreme cases?

Milton Platt

Seems that Joe doesn't think that drunk driving is a big thing according to an interview with Vice News.
Biden Says Only Felons Should Be Deported And He Doesn't ‘Count Drunk Driving as a Felony’ | National Review

Under most circumstances, a first-time conviction for driving under the influence is a misdemeanor, but there are circumstances under which a DUI can be a charged as a felony crime. These circumstances vary by state and jurisdiction.

In many states, a drunk driving charge is considered a traffic offense or a misdemeanor, but those charges can be enhanced from standard misdemeanor DUI to felony DUI depending upon other factors

tytlyf

Not Religious
My post was about 2 DWI's in a 10 year period can be a felony charge. Do you consider 2 DWI's in a 10 years period as extreme cases?
No, I don't consider that extreme. I find the law extreme in that case. Which state is that? The majority, by a long shot of states do not have these laws.

We Never Know

No Slack
No, I don't consider that extreme. I find the law extreme in that case. Which state is that? The majority, by a long shot of states do not have these laws.

As my posted you replied to clearly stated, I live in Oklahoma.

Also let me break it down for you in the states (including District of Columbia)...

5 states have no DUI/DWI as felony.

1 state has the fifth DUI/DWI as an automatic felony.

20 states have the fourth DUI/DWI as an automatic felony.

21 states have the third DUI/DWI offense as an automatic felony.

4 states have the second DUI/DWI offense as an automatic felony.

Edit. Also...
In 25 states on your first conviction if your BAC is .08% an Ignition Interlock is mandatory.

In 11 states on your first conviction if your BAC is .15% an Ignition Interlock is mandatory.

Strictest And Most Lenient States On DUI

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Also let me break it down for you in the states (including Puerto Rico)...

I say that our problem is that Biden didn't 'step in it".
Most people don't care about a cavalier attitude towards
drunk driving.
Sure, sure, it isn't always a felony. But look at how many
here make it about Biden being right, rather than about
deporting such dangerous people.

tytlyf

Not Religious

Also let me break it down for you in the states (including District of Columbia)...

Edit. Also...
In 25 states on your first conviction if your BAC is .08% an Ignition Interlock is mandatory.

In 11 states on your first conviction if your BAC is .15% an Ignition Interlock is mandatory.

I never said states didn't have felonies for DUI's. Biden was referring to a misdemeanor DUI.

esmith

Veteran Member
I never said states didn't have felonies for DUI's. Biden was referring to a misdemeanor DUI.
Nice try but your statement falls on its arse.
Here is what he said....try and pay attention if possible
“You only arrest for the purpose of dealing with a felony that's committed, and I don't count drunk driving as a felony.”
Oh I'm sorry I didn't know you could read minds.......