• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did America lose any battles?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
America did not achieve her military objectives in Iraq or Afghanistan, but was there really a battle that we lost in either of those countries? Sure, lots of skirmishes took place, with much guerrilla attacks that were costly, but can you think of a battle where roughly a thousand or more casualties resulted and America was defeated on the battlefield?

What would you say was the last military battle that America lost? What were the casualties?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
America did not achieve her military objectives in Iraq or Afghanistan, but was there really a battle that we lost in either of those countries? Sure, lots of skirmishes took place, with much guerrilla attacks that were costly, but can you think of a battle where roughly a thousand or more casualties resulted and America was defeated on the battlefield?

What would you say was the last military battle that America lost? What were the casualties?

Don't we always lose? Many human beings die in any war. What are your victory conditions? Having lost less lives than the other guy?

I suppose there is Hitlers that we need to fight but isn't there always a net loss? What the hell do we win? What's our prize?

War, we always lose, no matter the prize.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
I think that, slowly, the whole concept of "battles" is becoming outdated. We no longer have two armies that go head-to-head in one specific area. We instead have hundreds or thousands of fireteams and squads each fighting for control of one or two strategic points or zones.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
A “thousand or more”? In battle?

The Tet Offensive.
America actually won the Tet offensive. The Vietcong did not accomplish their military goals and the Vietcong were almost completely destroyed.

Tet offensive was a defeat back home though as it increased protests and shocked people.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Don't we always lose? Many human beings die in any war. What are your victory conditions? Having lost less lives than the other guy?

I suppose there is Hitlers that we need to fight but isn't there always a net loss? What the hell do we win? What's our prize?

In the past, the side whose military was defeated and who lost land or ran away from the field was the loser and the other victorious.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It was a huge disaster, but I do not recall America losing any significant battles. We simply left
That's true, we were actually winning the Vietnam War. We pulled out under political pressure. Not from the Viet Cong, but from our own politicians.

Twilight Hue

I think that, slowly, the whole concept of "battles" is becoming outdated. We no longer have two armies that go head-to-head in one specific area. We instead have hundreds or thousands of fireteams and squads each fighting for control of one or two strategic points or zones.
I see it as a convenient loophole. There are no wars anymore, just police actions.

Come to think of it , that sounds familiar looking back on history.

Maybe it's a skewed view but I used to think the United Nations were the peacekeepers of the world. So much for the Smurfs.

Twilight Hue

Actually George Washington lost several battles if I remember my history. But of course we weren't technically a country yet.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
America actually won the Tet offensive. The Vietcong did not accomplish their military goals and the Vietcong were almost completely destroyed.

Tet offensive was a defeat back home though as it increased protests and shocked people.

Like someone once said, we didn't lose any battles in Nam, but we weren't allowed to win the war.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member

Yes, you’re right.
I was thinking “Won the battle but lost the war.”

But you’re right.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Counting battles won or lost is useless. Something both Pyrrhus and Sun Tzu would agree on, I think.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
If I had to think of a country that never lost a battle in the history of the nation, I think it was Israel. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Watchmen

Premium Member

I find this passive attitude disturbing. We must always stand up to defeat tyranny. I’m not advocating war mongering. But I am saying if we have the ability we must combat tyranny. Hitler being the prime example.