• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Adam really live to be 930 years old?

Eynah

nutshell said:
I vote yes.

I believe the world was in a different state pre-flood that allowed for long lifespans. Nature was different.

What about the giants mentioned in the Bible? Did they really exist?
There is a problem with the thyroid, I think, that causes people to grow at greater heights. Like, 7'+.

As to the first question: I don't think so. I don't think that I would want to live that long, either. Flood changed it or not (to me not), that's a REALLY long time to live.

Aqualung

Tasty
Jayhawker Soule said:
Surely such certainty is based on evidence. Would you mind sharing it?
Use your brain. If there is a high infant mortality rate (taht is, many people are dying at age 1 or sometihng) it will bring the whole average lifespan down.

No, I can't give you the source. I learned it in my history class last semseter.

Atheist_Dave

*Foxy Lady*
It still would not make people live till they are 900 though, it would just mean less people would live past 1... use YOUR brain...

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Did Adam live at all is really the question.

I have my doubts.

IF he did... bear in mind, that they did not keep clear records in those days. Also, IF he did live a very long time, he would have outlived his contemporaries. As all the old folks died off, the legends of his age would grow. etc.... ad naseum.

Sorry kids, it's a fairy tale.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
YmirGF said:
Did Adam live at all is really the question.

I have my doubts.

IF he did... bear in mind, that they did not keep clear records in those days. Also, IF he did live a very long time, he would have outlived his contemporaries. As all the old folks died off, the legends of his age would grow. etc.... ad naseum.

Sorry kids, it's a fairy tale.
Don't apologise, I like fairy tales :eek:

Smoke

Done here.
Yes, Adam really lived to be 930 years old -- just as Edmond Dantes really escaped from prison and avenged himself on his enemies. That is, there's no use talking about what fictional characters "really" did outside of the fictional stories they inhabit.

Abram

Abraham
Aqualung said:
Use your brain. If there is a high infant mortality rate (taht is, many people are dying at age 1 or sometihng) it will bring the whole average lifespan down.

No, I can't give you the source. I learned it in my history class last semseter.
You are so right I could kiss you... I was told once that the average life span was 30 years old, 2000 years ago. Why I can't buy it is that if a couple has 2 kids, one kid at 18 and one at 20 and the parents die at 30 they leave their kids alone at 10 and 12 years old. There would be no such thing as grandparents or gray hair?

As for the age of Adam, of course he lived that old. Up till the flood many people lived that long. There is a strong chance that the flood we had was water that once sat on the ozone layer and acted as a greenhouse. Everything would live longer, plants, people, even lizards (that grow till they die hence the dinosaur.) When the layer broke the flood happend so fast it buried them alive in mud and therefore we find bones of giant lizards?

Now this is all speculation and being that we will never know what realy happend I'm not looking at defending this point, just an idea.

Eynah

One thing I notice is that the flood changed things. Why is that? How did the flood change things? If the flood did happen, then we all would have come from Noah and whoever, so therefore I don't see how it could have changed that much. Noah still loved to be an old-old man. So, why aren't we living for that long?

Abram

Abraham
Eynah said:
One thing I notice is that the flood changed things. Why is that? How did the flood change things? If the flood did happen, then we all would have come from Noah and whoever, so therefore I don't see how it could have changed that much. Noah still loved to be an old-old man. So, why aren't we living for that long?
a global flood would change the environment greatly. So it might not be the genes that make us like live longer or short, could be oxygen and nutrition you get from food. If you notice life spans got shorter and shorter very rapidly after the flood.

MdmSzdWhtGuy

Because this is all a Myth Enhya. It is like debating how many flapjacks Paul Bunyon could eat at a sitting. (for those not from the U.S. Paul Bunyon was a legendary mythical Western hero who created the Grand Canyon by dragging his giant axe behind him, and did lots of other fantastical deeds).

If you want an interesting read, go to the story of The Flood in Genesis. The last verse regarding The Flood says something along the lines of " and after the flood, the age of man will be limited to 120 years" (paraphrased from memory) then on the very same page of text there are stories of at least 4 or 5 men who lived after the time of the flood and acheived much older ages than 120 years. How can such a tale be taken seriously when it involves claims which are physically impossible in the known universe we live in, and which indeed contradicts itself, often on the same page of text?

B.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Aqualung said:
Jayhawker Soule said:
Aqualung said:
Yes, people didn't live quite as long. But if they made it past their childhood years, they had a great chance of living a long time (perhaps like 70 or so).
Surely such certainty is based on evidence. Would you mind sharing it?
Trust me, Aqualung, I do use my brain.

While a high infant mortality rate will depress life expectancy statistics, there is nothing in this fact that suggests a high life expectancy for those who survive infancy. So, for example, a discussion on life expectancy in ancient Egypt notes:
A modern visitor to ancient Egypt would be struck by the youthfulness of the people. Ancient Egyptians, like all mankind until the advent of modern medicine and public hygiene, died young. The age people hoped to reach was 110, described as the ideal lifespan in literature, but reality was different. Life expectancy for one year old children was less than forty years. Water-borne diseases, tuberculosis and other infectious illnesses against which the best physicians of antiquity were mostly powerless, were endemic [1]. Periodically various kinds of plague broke out, often in the wake of wars. The sick, the very young and the elderly were especially prone to succumb.

- see population
The good old days weren't.

Atheist_Dave

*Foxy Lady*
What a convenient story you have just concocted, give me some evidence that oxygen levels and nutrition would effect life span and it might be believable....

Peace x

Abram

Abraham
Atheist_Dave said:
What a convenient story you have just concocted, give me some evidence that oxygen levels and nutrition would effect life span and it might be believable....

Peace x
The problem we have Dave is that unless we sat in a lawn chair with a can of Budlight and saw it happen neither of us will change our minds. I have found enough proof in the very fact if there is love and hate, good and bad, that there must be a cause and a reason.

So I have come to a point where I must either believe God or man? I have the Bible which backs up my belief and you have science to back up yours. The best part of free will is we both have a choice and I don't look down on anyone who defends science or any other belief. How could I, the evidence is so overwhelming you would have to be a fool not the believe in science. Well I am just that fool, a man who got caught up in the dogma of God and his Bible. I enjoy it, makes me feel good, and I see improvements in my life everyday. So I may be weak and looking for simple comfort, I'm okay with it. I'm so glad that I found a meaning of life, a purpose, the idea of eternal life excites me. If I'm wrong and die then I die a happy man. So then what difference does it make that I believe. I don't miss out on anything, I enjoy all the things you do. I just chose to swallow my pride and admit I'm a sinner, I fall short, I'm no better then any other person on this planet.

Atheist_Dave

*Foxy Lady*
I've obviously struck a raw nerve... did I bring you frighteningly close to reality? :p

Seriously I've upset you now so I'll leave this thread, many apolegies x x x

Abram

Abraham
Atheist_Dave said:
I've obviously struck a raw nerve... did I bring you frighteningly close to reality? :p

Seriously I've upset you now so I'll leave this thread, many apolegies x x x
Naw...:D

I came here and said that I thought Adam to be that old. If I expect every to change their view because of me I have another thing coming. I just can't use science to defend my point, so why humiliate myself and try. ( I have tried before) I love the evolution idea, if I ditch this God thing that's were you will find my beliefs.

joeboonda

I just wanted to answer the question, yes I believe Adam really did live to be 930 yrs. old. There is plenty of info. on why Christians believe that on the web, so I am just answering the question, think of me what you will.

may

Abram said:
You are so right I could kiss you... I was told once that the average life span was 30 years old, 2000 years ago. Why I can't buy it is that if a couple has 2 kids, one kid at 18 and one at 20 and the parents die at 30 they leave their kids alone at 10 and 12 years old. There would be no such thing as grandparents or gray hair?

As for the age of Adam, of course he lived that old. Up till the flood many people lived that long. There is a strong chance that the flood we had was water that once sat on the ozone layer and acted as a greenhouse. Everything would live longer, plants, people, even lizards (that grow till they die hence the dinosaur.) When the layer broke the flood happend so fast it buried them alive in mud and therefore we find bones of giant lizards?

Now this is all speculation and being that we will never know what realy happend I'm not looking at defending this point, just an idea.
yes i agree with the greenhouse effect , and the ozone layer, we tend to think of everything as it is now ,but before the flood things were how Jehovah wanted it i think,

may

MdmSzdWhtGuy said:
Because this is all a Myth Enhya. It is like debating how many flapjacks Paul Bunyon could eat at a sitting. (for those not from the U.S. Paul Bunyon was a legendary mythical Western hero who created the Grand Canyon by dragging his giant axe behind him, and did lots of other fantastical deeds).

If you want an interesting read, go to the story of The Flood in Genesis. The last verse regarding The Flood says something along the lines of " and after the flood, the age of man will be limited to 120 years" (paraphrased from memory) then on the very same page of text there are stories of at least 4 or 5 men who lived after the time of the flood and acheived much older ages than 120 years. How can such a tale be taken seriously when it involves claims which are physically impossible in the known universe we live in, and which indeed contradicts itself, often on the same page of text?

B.
i think that this 120 years that was spoken of here ,is regarding how much longer humans had got untill the flood came ,not how long they would live to.
Jehovah indicated this destruction 120 years in advance. More than twenty years pass, and Noah has three sons. The sons grow to manhood and marry, as perhaps fifty or sixty more years slip by. then he is told to build the ark for the saving of his household and then he warned others about it for 40 or 50 years , so the 120 years is an advance warning of the time left

MdmSzdWhtGuy

Here is the verse in context:

6:2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.
6:3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.
6:4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.
6:5 And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

I don't see anything there to indicate that this is a reference to any other thing besides the maximum age to which a human can expect to live. Perhaps the Mormon version of the Bible differs from this. BTW this is from the King James Version.

B.