• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dianetics and Chakras

p_shift90

So is Dianetics basically like Chakra stimulation, in which the practicioner attempts to open under-active chakras in order to allow for proper flow of energy?

themadhair

So is Dianetics basically like Chakra stimulation, in which the practicioner attempts to open under-active chakras in order to allow for proper flow of energy?
Not strictly but I can understand the idea behind your analogy. Whereas Chakra attempts to empower Dianetics actually tries to remove power.

I’ll give the background theory of Dianetics to make help this clear. The central thesis is that the mind is made up of two parts – the reactive mind and the analytic mind. The analytical mind is where your rationality and logic comes from. The reactive mind is where your irrationality and illogical tendencies come from. The analytic mind is quite fragile and so, when a traumatic or upsetting event happens it gets recorded in the reactive mind instead of the analytical mind. These traumatic/upsetting memories are called ‘engrams’.

These engrams can be ‘restimulated’. If a person was beaten as a child, and that memory was stored as an engram, such an engram can become restimulated should the person encounter something which reminds him of those childhood beatings. When these engrams get restimulated they cause the reactive mind to overpower the analytical mind, leading the person to behave irrationally. Dianetics attempts to reach those engrams stored in the reactive mind through counselling called auditing. The idea is to move those engrams from the reactive mind, which doesn’t rationally process those engrams, to the analytical mind, which does rationally process them. Essentially Dianetics attempts to remove the power of the reactive mind by stripping it of its engrams.

That’s the basic idea.

p_shift90

Okay, that makes sense. In effect, I think the two practices are actually quite similar, now that I understand Dianetics a little better. When I meditate I access a different state of mind, one that is controlled, in which I can see every situation clearly and without harboring any harmful emotions. It is only temporary, but the long-term goal is to, through years of meditation and reflection, eventually clear away negative tendencies of the mind permanently. So whereas meditation and chakra balancing are the practice of flushing out harmful emotional/mental reflexes with positive energy, Dianetics is the practice of stripping them away from the root, one by one, through auditing. Would that be a correct statement?

themadhair

In effect, I think the two practices are actually quite similar, now that I understand Dianetics a little better. When I meditate I access a different state of mind, one that is controlled, in which I can see every situation clearly and without harboring any harmful emotions.
There is another crucial difference here which I missed out in the description I gave previously. In meditative traditions it is the person themselves that guide the processes. In Dianetics this is not the case, and the person is guided through the processes by an auditor.

There are self-auditing processes called solo NOTs but those are advanced materials in Scientology and rarely practiced by the majority of Scientologists.

So whereas meditation and chakra balancing are the practice of flushing out harmful emotional/mental reflexes with positive energy, Dianetics is the practice of stripping them away from the root, one by one, through auditing. Would that be a correct statement?
That would be about right.

Note for clarity: I’m not a Scientologist and would probably be rightly considered quite hostile to the Scientology organisation.

Troublemane

Theres a huge difference i can see, in that Dianetics/Scientology views the "reactive mind" (what I would call the animal soul) as a 'BAD THING' which must be negated, or at least countered, by using the analytic mind ( the intellect). It seems almost identical to the medieval christian beliefs which lead to witchburnings.

In my experience, meditation is far more open and accepting of the animal soul, not repressive of it. You may say our society is immature in how it deals with our animal nature --either by appealing to it salaciously thru advertisement, or by trying to deny it/villify it thru a religious revival, ----but at least we dont try to erase it, as dianetics does. I mean, isnt it clear the 'reactive mind' is also responsible for very important things like: individual thought, self-preservation, etc. What happens when you try and erase that? Wont you tend to make a person more weak-minded? More easily brainswashed than not?

Meditation is more open and accepting, IMO, of the animal mind in that you allow these thoughts/feelings to arise naturally and you accept them as part of yourself, not as something alien or foreign to you.

When you start to demonize a part of yourself (especially the primal part which keeps you alive) then you are doomed to domination by those who dont have your best interest in mind. Thats my opinion. :angel2:

themadhair

I mean, isnt it clear the 'reactive mind' is also responsible for very important things like: individual thought, self-preservation, etc.
The argument for this is that, prior to the development of intellect, such a base survival instinct was the only game in town. After the development of intellect the argument goes that such an instinct is not longer needed due to being greatly inferior to the analytical mind which can outperform the reactive mind. Further it is contended that such instincts are counterproductive to social cohesion when they misfire, and hence the drive to eliminate them.

Troublemane

..so i guess the fact we evolved a cerebral cortex means we dont need a brain stem anymore either. Good! I can finally let mine go...rfoewh oieyhfpuiewFJ;NWEF
*COLLAPSES*:thud:

Magus Phoenix

You can stimulate the Chakras by running Flows as in Scientology 8-80. One way I do this is to run the Flows in a spiral around me from my Root to my Crown while running the Dichotomies.