• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dharmic Pluralism/Syncretism?

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
I'd like advice friends about a direction my religious life may be heading in. Being on this forum has given me a greater appreciation for Indian thought in the broad context. I've been exposed more to Hinduism, and understand better the way Indian thought diverged and evolved through the centuries.

I already had an admiration for Jainism, in addition to my being a Buddhist. I wonder if it'd be okay to expound my boundaries a bit? The Buddha will always be my teacher. I find myself conflicted though because now I want to explore Indian thought in a broader scope.

It amazes me how the Dharmic religions deal in much the same areas of human existence and reality, yet the conclusions can be somewhat different, but they're all insightful and make some sense.

I was thinking this awhile ago when I learned about the Jain concept of Anekantavada. I only worry I'd be betraying the Buddha somehow if I were to spread my wings more. Reasonably, I know that wouldn't be betraying the Buddha, but I need advice. This would be a change in my life.

What I'm considering is being a Dharmic syncretist/pluralist. What that would mean is the boundaries of Buddhism are lowered for now, and I'd be approaching the Dharma from the many schools of Indian thought.

I am not looking to become anything through this journey, if I undertake it. I'm not looking to become a Jain or a Hindu, is what I mean. I just think the Dharma can be approached from so many more sides than I'm currently willing to do as a very orthodox Buddhist.

I wouldn't be limiting myself to looking at any school, in their ideas and approach to the Dharma. I even like things I've read about some of the now extinct schools of Indian thought. I'm not so sure they didn't get some things right.

I'm thinking about just classifying myself as Dharmic, and dedicating myself to the study of Indian philosophy and gaining insight on a broader scale.

What prompted this I guess, is not only my admiration for Jainism, or being shown on here that I have things to learn about Hinduism, but I even find extinct schools interesting.

There was a school I was reading about. I forget what this school was called. They believed in either action and knowledge as both eternal or distinct. I've forgotten the exact details. That interested me, just as an example.

I guess I need some advice if I should do this. I'd be starting from the position that there is an Ultimate Reality, synonymous with Buddha-nature and Brahman. I think I've safely concluded these can be the same. I'd still be aiming for liberation and purifying the faculties from negative karma. This wouldn't only be a thought experiment on my part. It's just something I think could be beneficial.

I'd keep practicing Ahimsa and vegetarianism. I'd be looking for new insights to all these subjects, naturally.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I'd be starting from the position that there is an Ultimate Reality, synonymous with Buddha-nature and Brahman. I think I've safely concluded these can be the same.
Then, you would be missing one question. Where did this Buddha-nature or Brahman arise from? The answer lies in unravelling the mystery of existence and non-existence. We would not know the answer immediately, give it another century. :)

Last edited:

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
I'd like advice friends about a direction my religious life may be heading in. Being on this forum has given me a greater appreciation for Indian thought in the broad context. I've been exposed more to Hinduism, and understand better the way Indian thought diverged and evolved through the centuries.

I already had an admiration for Jainism, in addition to my being a Buddhist. I wonder if it'd be okay to expound my boundaries a bit? The Buddha will always be my teacher. I find myself conflicted though because now I want to explore Indian thought in a broader scope.

It amazes me how the Dharmic religions deal in much the same areas of human existence and reality, yet the conclusions can be somewhat different, but they're all insightful and make some sense.

I was thinking this awhile ago when I learned about the Jain concept of Anekantavada. I only worry I'd be betraying the Buddha somehow if I were to spread my wings more. Reasonably, I know that wouldn't be betraying the Buddha, but I need advice. This would be a change in my life.

What I'm considering is being a Dharmic syncretist/pluralist. What that would mean is the boundaries of Buddhism are lowered for now, and I'd be approaching the Dharma from the many schools of Indian thought.

I am not looking to become anything through this journey, if I undertake it. I'm not looking to become a Jain or a Hindu, is what I mean. I just think the Dharma can be approached from so many more sides than I'm currently willing to do as a very orthodox Buddhist.

I wouldn't be limiting myself to looking at any school, in their ideas and approach to the Dharma. I even like things I've read about some of the now extinct schools of Indian thought. I'm not so sure they didn't get some things right.

I'm thinking about just classifying myself as Dharmic, and dedicating myself to the study of Indian philosophy and gaining insight on a broader scale.

What prompted this I guess, is not only my admiration for Jainism, or being shown on here that I have things to learn about Hinduism, but I even find extinct schools interesting.

There was a school I was reading about. I forget what this school was called. They believed in either action and knowledge as both eternal or distinct. I've forgotten the exact details. That interested me, just as an example.

I guess I need some advice if I should do this. I'd be starting from the position that there is an Ultimate Reality, synonymous with Buddha-nature and Brahman. I think I've safely concluded these can be the same. I'd still be aiming for liberation and purifying the faculties from negative karma. This wouldn't only be a thought experiment on my part. It's just something I think could be beneficial.

I'd keep practicing Ahimsa and vegetarianism. I'd be looking for new insights to all these subjects, naturally.
If your Buddhism led you to go there then I would say go there. Nothing I've studied, whether it be Taoism, evolution, natural history, has changed my faith in Christianity or the Bible.

I think certain truths are Universal.

ajay0

The objective of Buddhism is to become a Buddha oneself. If you feel that study of other dharmic paths can help you to become a Buddha faster, by all means try.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
The objective of Buddhism is to become a Buddha oneself. If you feel that study of other dharmic paths can help you to become a Buddha faster, by all means try.
Agreed. Surprisingly, my study of Luciferianism and the Western Left Hand Path has done more to increase my understanding of Buddhism than anything else.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
In my view, the main problem with syncreticism is if you try to put two opposing beliefs into your subconscious. Only confusion can result. It would be like going to two doctors, and them opposing each other's diagnosis. Then you're sort of stuck in the middle wondering who to believe.

But if you're just doing it as a study so you can have better intellectual discussion on here, or elsewhere, then it's all good.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Buddha studied with many different teachers before becoming enlightened.

ajay0

If you dig a 1 metre hole in twenty places, you will not find water. But if you dig a twenty metre hole in a single place you can find water.

Intellectual pleasure of study of various disciplines, cannot compensate for the joy and peace of spirituality. Intellectual pleasure, though superior to sensual pleasures, is equally addictive, and can prevent attainment of spiritual joy and bliss.

In Hinduism, it is said that the desire for knowledge is due to the influence of the guna sattva, which is still a bondage which prevents perception of the truth. Sattva here is superior to the other gunas rajas and tamas as it is closest to the Self or Buddha nature, but it is still a bondage, which must be understood and removed.

Faith in the teachings is the key. But if faith is lacking, then you can perhaps study other disciplines too as it builds up the conviction that all paths lead to the same summit, and creates clarity through viewing the same thing from different angles.

Truth is one, but sages call it by different names.

This intellectual conviction thus attained can bring focus and enthusiasm in the chosen path, and prevent dissipation of energies in various channels.