• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

[Dharmic Only] Poll for Opinion on Moderation of Dharmic DIRs

How would you like to see the Dharmic DIRs moderated?

• I would like to see Dharmic DIR members be permitted to cross-post into other Dharmic DIRs.

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Dharmic DIR members should only be permitted to post respectful questions in another Dharmic's DIR

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
There has been a great deal of discussion behind the scenes on how we should moderate the Dharmic DIRs as it pertains to Rule 10.

Under the previous software format, as I understand it, there were different color coded DIR levels which governed how strict they were moderated. Since we changed over to the software version, those color coded levels have gone away and Rule 10 was revised as a result.

Historically, cross-posting within the Dharmic DIRs was generally accepted, as although there are differences, Dharmic religions, in general, have a great deal in common. In other words, members did not take issue with a Hindu posting in the Buddhism or Sikhism DIR, or a Buddhist posting in the Hinduism or Buddhism DIR, etc. due to the parallels among these religions.

So there purpose of this poll is for the staff to get an idea how the Dharmic DIR members would like to see the forum moderated. Members that do not identify as Dharmic will only be permitted to ask respectful questions as per the usual, but we would like to see how Dharmic DIR members would like to see the DIRs under the Dharmic umbrella moderated.

One vote per member is permitted. Only those members that identify has Dharmic may participate. Votes will become visible after a vote has been cast. The poll will remain open for two weeks.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Wouldn't cross posting defeat the purpose of the DIR's? We've already got the generic Dharmic DIR for cross posting. Allowing cross-posting in the between the Major Dharmic religions divisions would allow nasty DIR invasions like the ones we had a few years back. No matter how you slice or dice it, Buddhism and Jainism are not Hinduism. They are Shramanic. It would be like allowing Christians and Pagans to freely post in each others DIRs.

I don't know enough about Sikhism to say anything about that.

Last edited:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I voted cross-post as the distinctions are blurry anyway and these topics cross borders.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Allowing cross-posting in the between the Major Dharmic religions divisions would allow nasty DIR invasions like the ones we had a few years back.

How many posters are there in each of the sub-DIRs? Not very many, not like it was years ago. And while all staff know that no debating is allowed, we have more Dharmic staff members now than we did back then, to keep things on-topic.

No matter how you slice or dice it, Buddhism and Jainism are not Hinduism. They are Shramanic.

Welllll, Hinduism overlaps nicely into śramaṇic territory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Śramaṇa#Comparison_of_philosophies
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Śramaṇa#Hinduism

It would be like allowing Christians and Pagans to freely post in each others DIRs.

I can't say I agree with that analogy at all.

ManSinha

I agree with @George-ananda - most of us on here are respectful enough to shut up if asked once - and there are always the mods around to try and ensure fairness on the rare occasions it may become necessary

Shantanu

Because there are only a few posters in each DIR, it would be better if three was free cross posting across the DIRs, especially because of the over lap with Hinduism.

crossfire

Premium Member
I agree with @George-ananda - most of us on here are respectful enough to shut up if asked once - and there are always the mods around to try and ensure fairness on the rare occasions it may become necessary
Are you sure the mods are willing to go to the trouble and are knowledgable enough to know when DIR rules are being broken?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
There has been a great deal of discussion behind the scenes on how we should moderate the Dharmic DIRs as it pertains to Rule 10.

Under the previous software format, as I understand it, there were different color coded DIR levels which governed how strict they were moderated. Since we changed over to the software version, those color coded levels have gone away and Rule 10 was revised as a result.

Historically, cross-posting within the Dharmic DIRs was generally accepted, as although there are differences, Dharmic religions, in general, have a great deal in common. In other words, members did not take issue with a Hindu posting in the Buddhism or Sikhism DIR, or a Buddhist posting in the Hinduism or Buddhism DIR, etc. due to the parallels among these religions.

So there purpose of this poll is for the staff to get an idea how the Dharmic DIR members would like to see the forum moderated. Members that do not identify as Dharmic will only be permitted to ask respectful questions as per the usual, but we would like to see how Dharmic DIR members would like to see the DIRs under the Dharmic umbrella moderated.

One vote per member is permitted. Only those members that identify has Dharmic may participate. Votes will become visible after a vote has been cast. The poll will remain open for two weeks.
Wow that's a tough one since Dharmic religions are usually open and accommodating to anybody.

The respectful questions seems appropriate enough imo for those who don't identify as dharmic.

Cross posting seems cool enough. :O)

ManSinha

Are you sure the mods are willing to go to the trouble and are knowledgable enough to know when DIR rules are being broken?

Well ma'am - one of them was recently dragged in by a fellow community member of mine complaining loudly - even though I personally thought that the complaints were not warranted.

But the intercession was swift, decisive and ended the whining - so there is my all-too-limited example

crossfire

Premium Member
Wow that's a tough one since Dharmic religions are usually open and accommodating to anybody.

The respectful questions seems appropriate enough imo for those who don't identify as dharmic.

Cross posting seems cool enough. :O)
I suppose the cross-posting would be better than the obvious cross-dressers. ;)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I think it's working fine just the way it is. Cross posting could open up some nastiness from misunderstanding. Not from everyone, but just the possibility, and that would make more work for the mods, who don't really need more work. As it is, there are always alternatives, like same-faith debates. or general discussion. In the end, although as Jai says they are rarely used, the DIR is still a safe place.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it's working fine just the way it is. Cross posting could open up some nastiness from misunderstanding. Not from everyone, but just the possibility, and that would make more work for the mods, who don't really need more work. As it is, there are always alternatives, like same-faith debates. or general discussion. In the end, although as Jai says they are rarely used, the DIR is still a safe place.

This is why we (the staff) has been discussing this. As the OP mentions, cross-posting has traditionally been an accepted practice in this DIR, so keeping things status quo would mean that we would permit cross-posting to continue. If we were to change the way we moderate this forum, it would mean stricter moderation on Rule 10.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
This is why we (the staff) has been discussing this. As the OP mentions, cross-posting has traditionally been an accepted practice in this DIR, so keeping things status quo would mean that we would permit cross-posting to continue. If we were to change the way we moderate this forum, it would mean stricter moderation on Rule 10.
I don't envy you guys. But I'm not involved in cross posting much as I don't know anything much about Buddhism. A lot of 'dharmic' is quite hard to define, and that's a good thing. Personally, I just live with what people decide. If it ever got too nasty here, I'd just leave.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I would like to mention to those that expressed concerns that allowing cross-posting would somehow create an unmoderated free-for-all in the DIR, I can assure you that this would not be the case. We have staff members who participate regularly in this DIR, and I, personally, read practically everything that is posted here.

As @ManSinha states above and I agree, I think most members here will respect another DIR member's wishes to back off if asked. If the staff didn't think this was the case, we wouldn't even be considering this. I can assure you that those that cause issues in the DIR will be dealt with swiftly.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
>> Personally I welcome people with 'Dharmic inclinations'* to post in Hinduism DIR* <<, but two of my posts in Buddhism and Sikhism were objected to. So, for peace in the Forums, I will prefer (and have voted for) the second option. Perhaps unobtrusive posting (respectful questions) can go on. :)

* Edited: Dharmic inclination to mean not an insistence on Abrahamic 'One God'.
To clarify, irrespective of whether they belong to a 'dharmic religion' or not.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
>> Personally I welcome people with Dharmic inclinations to post in Hinduism DIR <<, but two of my posts in Buddhism and Sikhism were objected to. So, for peace in the Forums, I will prefer (and have voted for) the second option. Perhaps unobtrusive posting (respectful questions) can go on. :)

One of the reasons that we are considering allowing cross-posting in this DIR is that a few of us believe quite strongly that the Dharmic DIR members are respectful enough to one another to bow out of a conversation should a member of that religion's DIR ask.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
One of the reasons that we are considering allowing cross-posting in this DIR is that a few of us believe quite strongly that the Dharmic DIR members are respectful enough to one another to bow out of a conversation should a member of that religion's DIR ask.
So far so good yes.

Unguru

I am a Sikh nice to meet you
* Edited: Dharmic inclination to mean not an insistence on Abrahamic 'One God'.
To clarify, irrespective of whether they belong to a 'dharmic religion' or not.

You're the dogmatic one here.
Just because you have a beef or a prejudice against the Abrahamic religions, doesn't mean you can go around spewing your hatred everywhere. You're an atheist, that's great, but not all Dharmics are atheists like you, keep your prejudices to yourself.
Also, there are forms of Hinduism that are monotheistic whether you like it or not, as is Sikhi (which is not Hinduism btw). We don't have the same over all world view as Abrahamics but we aren't all polytheists or in the case of you, atheists.

Be respectful and also stop trying to tell me what my Dharma is, you're being as (if not more) dogmatic as Abrahamics can be.

ManSinha

I kinda said I would not post again in this forum but feel compelled to respond to that one - apologies to @SalixIncendium for side tracking the thread

You're the dogmatic one here.

Guru piyario I think you are being unfair here - take a look in the mirror

You're an atheist, that's great, but not all Dharmics are atheists like you, keep your prejudices to yourself.

Have you tried to understand him? He does not believe in gods and goddesses and neither do we

In the immortal words of Guru Gobind Singh

upload_2019-4-28_20-38-20.png

We don't have the same over all world view as Abrahamics but we aren't all polytheists or in the case of you, atheists.

There is room for all beliefs here - even those that choose to believe that this it - as far as I believe - they just get a do over

upload_2019-4-28_20-42-17.png

@Aupmanyav states over and over - he believes in the Universal one - and so I would prefer to take this approach

upload_2019-4-28_20-43-33.png

Guru Fateh!!