• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Devo: House Band on the Titanic

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
We really are screwed if we need to listen to the leader of Devo's rambling thoughts.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
We really are screwed if we need to listen to the leader of Devo's rambling thoughts.

I tried to read the article but finally gave up when I found myself speaking it tongues. Not sure of the point here.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I tried to read the article but finally gave up when I found myself speaking it tongues. Not sure of the point here.
I got all the way through. Just listen to Maxine Waters playing at "78" on the turntable and it's about the same content.

David T

Premium Member
We dont evolve nearly as quickly as we believe.

In a sense the article references that in regards to the cave analogy by socrates. What they realized 40 years ago hasnt changed and getting worse. Thats the natural course for civilizations. My real concern is enviromental. We can get locked into culture too much, it becomes ones reality and all nonsense follows. We are programed from a very young age hoe to think percieve and reason.. Sure, some claim they teach critical thinking, certainly universities believe they do. But can that actually be taught or is it a something one discovers?

Axe Elf

Prophet

You don't NEED to listen to anything. Being aware of various perspectives, including those of a person who was an activist (and friends with two of the students shot by other students) at the "four dead in Ohio" Kent State event in the early 70s, who went on to form one of the most influential new wave bands of all time on the premise that society would continue to devolve to the state in which it currently finds itself 40 years later, gives you a broader foundation for developing informed opinions about the world around you.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
You don't NEED to listen to anything. Being aware of various perspectives, including those of a person who was an activist (and friends with two of the students shot by other students) at the "four dead in Ohio" Kent State event in the early 70s, who went on to form one of the most influential new wave bands of all time on the premise that society would continue to devolve to the state in which it currently finds itself 40 years later, gives you a broader foundation for developing informed opinions about the world around you.

One correction: the students were not shot by "other students", they were shot by National Guard troops who were not even supposed to have live ammunition. The National Guard at that time was very much different than the National Guard of today. BTW, the original protest had little to do with the War. The students were protesting the building of a new gym on a hill with a ceremonial bell monument that would have been torn down. The War protesters co-opted the protest for their own purpose. I was 20 at the time and Kent State was also a wake-up call for me.

Axe Elf

Prophet
One correction: the students were not shot by "other students", they were shot by National Guard troops...

The shooters were National Guard troops, yes, but many of the troops were but teenagers themselves. I suppose my choice of the word "students" was a little misleading in that it makes it sound like the shooters had no official sanction--which they did--but I was stressing the idea of students being shot by what were essentially their peers.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
My apologizes, how dare me be critical of the singer of the enduring classic, "Whip it". What was I thinking? :rolleyes:

Axe Elf

Prophet
My apologizes, how dare me be critical of the singer of the enduring classic, "Whip it".

Were you critical of him? If you were, I must have missed it. I thought you were just being critical of listening to other people. However, Gerald Casale did not sing "Whip It"; Mark Mothersbaugh was the lead singer of Devo, and he was the primary singer of "Whip It" (although bassist Casale did co-write the song with Mothersbaugh).

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Were you critical of him? If you were, I must have missed it. I thought you were just being critical of listening to other people. However, Gerald Casale did not sing "Whip It"; Mark Mothersbaugh was the lead singer of Devo, and he was the primary singer of "Whip It" (although bassist Casale did co-write the song with Mothersbaugh).
Reading comprehension is not your strongest suit, is it? :D

Axe Elf

Prophet
Reading comprehension is not your strongest suit, is it? :D

Probably not. My strongest suits would be spelling, mathematics, logic, and science, in which I am among the top 1%. I may only be among the top 2% in reading comprehension.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Probably not. My strongest suits would be spelling, mathematics, logic, and science, in which I am among the top 1%. I may only be among the top 2% in reading comprehension.
Duly noted. I shant question your wisdom in the future. :D

Audie

Veteran Member
The shooters were National Guard troops, yes, but many of the troops were but teenagers themselves. I suppose my choice of the word "students" was a little misleading in that it makes it sound like the shooters had no official sanction--which they did--but I was stressing the idea of students being shot by what were essentially their peers.

Referring to soldiers in uniform as
"other students" and then saying the
falsehood is but "a little misleading"
and merely "stressing" an idea. Cool.

After you get caught, that is

Sbould we suppose that Trump should
always get a pass, if what he says is "essentially"
correct on at least one point?