• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Devas and angels

Ekanta

om sai ram
If you dont respect Hindu culture and faith, how they express their faith because they are not sages, how are you going to get an indepth understanding ans answer to your question if you rudely contrast living Hindu beliefs false but sages true?
Who said I disrespected hindu culture? ITS YOUR IMAGINATION which seems limitless.
You should read the sutras and vedas to get an understanding of what Hindu believe. Thats like being Christian but not read the Bible. Yes, you can read sages and talk with practitioners AND you can read their teachings as well as experience it by beingn involved.
Thats if you really want a indept answer to your question. If you just like debate, Id ask staff to move this thread outside the DIR.
Until then, how can we take you seriously if you put down our points of view because "we are living"? The Buddha will say he is no different than any other. Im sure the sages will say the same.
Again your imagination runs wild. Who said I didnt read sutras and vedas? ITS YOUR IMAGINATION. Who said I wanted to debate? You accuse me of not having hindu views, yet I quoted several well known hindus with tons of followers. ITS YOUR IMAGINATION.
...how can we take you seriously if you put down our points of view because "we are living"? The Buddha will say he is no different than any other. Im sure the sages will say the same.
And again ITS YOUR IMAGINATION which runs wild. Who said I put down peoples view because they "are living"?

Seriously, you should be ashamed of your behaviour!

Now, Swami Sivananda cannot be compared to other babas (my homage to him). He was not a baba. A baba is one who claims to be an avatara or claims special powers. It was his book which introduced me to Upanishads. But IMHO, he too should not have tried to mix Abrahamic religions with Hinduism. The best is to keep a distance. They actually wait for such statements. That gives them a chance to slip in. Of course, if we talk of 'advaita', then as I have said earlier also, even Osama, Hitler, and Pol Pot too were none other than Brahman. I am an atheist (advaitist) Hindu, but kindly note that many a times I answer as a theist Hindu (the majority) keeping my personal views to myself. :)
Buddha-nature, Bodhikaya, Tathagatagarbha are very close to the concept of Brahman, but all Buddhists do not believe in it.
Thats at least an honest stand point and I can respect it Aupmanyav.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Who said I disrespected hindu culture? ITS YOUR IMAGINATION which seems limitless.

Again your imagination runs wild. Who said I didnt read sutras and vedas? ITS YOUR IMAGINATION. Who said I wanted to debate? You accuse me of not having hindu views, yet I quoted several well known hindus with tons of followers. ITS YOUR IMAGINATION.

And again ITS YOUR IMAGINATION which runs wild. Who said I put down peoples view because they "are living"?

Thats at least an honest stand point and I can respect it Aupmanyav.

I dont want go read all of what you wrote. You have insulted me. If you feel I insulted you, ask for clarification. Your behavior does not sound like you want to understand what I say, just attack it.

That and this is a DIR. Why are you fussing at me

Ekanta

om sai ram
I dont want go read all of what you wrote. You have insulted me. If you feel I insulted you, ask for clarification. Your behavior does not sound like you want to understand what I say, just attack it.
That and this is a DIR. Why are you fussing at me
You dont want to read what I wrote... but have made up your mind I insulted you.
You dont want to read what I wrote... but ask for clarification.
You dont want to read what I wrote... but you say Ekanta dont wont to understand
You dont want to read what I wrote... but say Ekanta just attack.

Please never speak with me again!

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Wow. One more note and you can ignore me if you wish.

You dont want to read what I wrote... but have made up your mind I insulted you.
You dont want to read what I wrote... but ask for clarification.
You dont want to read what I wrote... but you say Ekanta dont wont to understand
You dont want to read what I wrote... but say Ekanta just attack.

Please never speak with me again!

This is what I found insulting; if you did not mean it this way, please rephrase your posts:

ho said I disrespected hindu culture? ITS YOUR IMAGINATION which seems limitless

It's how you phrase your posts. If I am wrong, just say so. No need to yell. (aka bold words)

gain your imagination runs wild. Who said I didnt read sutras and vedas? ITS YOUR IMAGINATION. Who said I wanted to debate? You accuse me of not having hindu views, yet I quoted several well known hindus with tons of followers. ITS YOUR IMAGINATION.

Internet is fickled. If you have read the sutras, just say so. I had the impression that you have not. So I gave you advice to do so. Reading the sutras and vedas will give you more of a perspective of the Hindu faith in addition to what Hindu say. Also, it is my impression that I can back up that you don't care to listen to what some of the Hindu say here; or at least think about it.

If that's an insult, ask for clarification. Don't attack (aka, bold your words and accuse me of assuming you do something I only had an impression of you doing)

I can find your posts that give me the impression that you do. If you do not, ask for clarification nicely don't insult me. (Insult is your first sentence)

This IS an insult. :rolleyes:

To quote @Aupmanyav

"I try to stick to what I consider truth.
Carlita, Ekanta, let us be friends and leave aside accusations"

Nam.
:leafwind:

Acintya_Ash

Bhakta
Namaste Ekanta!
So, is it that devas are actually angels? What do you think? Have you thought like like this before? I post in the dharmic forums since it might concern both hinduism and buddhism etc.
Devas are not angels. Angels are residents of kingdom of God, they can be considered as liberated beings. However, Devas are not liberated, they are very much in samsara.
The concept of Angels will make sense only in Monotheistic religions like Christianity, Islam etc, where you have a Personal God who has a kingdom.
In Hinduism, God personally incarnates, does not send invisible Angels.

atanu

Premium Member
What ever these people may write for their Western audience, the fact is that THERE IS NOTHING IN HINDUISM TO CORRESPOND WITH THE ABRAHAMIC IDEA OF AN ANGEL (an errand boy for God/s). :)

The dvaita school of Hinduism and abrahamic school have much in common.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Aupamanyav? Who defines Brahman as something akin to electrical energy?

Ekanta has cited Swami Sivananda, Swami Krishnananda, and others. Why do you you think Aup is correct but they are wrong?

Look up to? I find this knowledge of the Hindu believe just as valuable as any other Hindu. I believe everyone is a Buddha (Hindu included). It's not like Christianity where if someone doesn't believe in Jesus, Christians brand that other person the anti-Christ.

That, and unless you are Hindu, we have no right to claim what is a Hindu belief and what is not but the practitioners who practice it--especially, in a DIR.

"I try to stick to what I consider truth.
Carlita, Ekanta, let us be friends and leave aside accusations"

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Who defines Brahman as something akin to electrical energy?
I do. For Brahman, nothing suits better than energy - constitutes all things, can appear in different forms, is material as well as non-material - and we do not know yet - perhaps has a universal consciousness (spooky* action at a distance - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_at_a_distance) and could even be existent as well as non-existent (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ex_nihilo#Modern_physics). In all seriousness :).

* Spooky, only because we do not understand it at the moment.

"The model includes a single originating event, the "Big Bang" or initial singularity, which was not an explosion but the abrupt appearance of expanding space-timecontaining radiation at temperatures of around 10 raised to15 K. This was immediately (within 10 raised to -29 seconds) followed by an exponential expansion of space by a scale multiplier of 10 raised to 27 or more, known as cosmic inflation." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambda-CDM_model

Expect extraordinary things to be normal when it comes to Brahman.

Last edited:

SlaveofShinri

I feel that as so far as they are the inhabitants of higher planes of existence, they are similar. I am far more inclined to believe in earth shattering powers with their own wills and gods than I am to believe in messengers without free will.

Perhaps some of the Devas consider themselves to be servants of a monotheistic God.