• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deuteronomy 32:40-2: The Syzygy of God's Two Hands.

John D. Brey

For I lift my hand to heaven, and it says, "I live forever. If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me. I will make my arrows drunk with blood, and my sword shall devour flesh."

כִּי־אֶשָּׂא אֶל־שָׁמַיִם יָדִי וְאָמַרְתִּי חַי אָנֹכִי לְעֹלָם׃
אִם־שַׁנּוֹתִי בְּרַק חַרְבִּי וְתֹאחֵז בְּמִשְׁפָּט יָדִי אָשִׁיב נָקָם לְצָרָי וְלִמְשַׂנְאַי אֲשַׁלֵּם׃
אַשְׁכִּיר חִצַּי מִדָּם וְחַרְבִּי תֹּאכַל בָּשָׂר מִדַּם חָלָל וְשִׁבְיָה מֵרֹאשׁ פַּרְעוֹת​

John

Last edited:

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
For I lift my hand to heaven, and it says, "I live forever. If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me. I will make my arrows drunk with blood, and my sword shall devour flesh."
אִם־שַׁנּוֹתִי בְּרַק חַרְבִּי וְתֹאחֵז בְּמִשְׁפָּט יָדִי אָשִׁיב נָקָם לְצָרָי וְלִמְשַׂנְאַי אֲשַׁלֵּם׃
אַשְׁכִּיר חִצַּי מִדָּם וְחַרְבִּי תֹּאכַל בָּשָׂר מִדַּם חָלָל וְשִׁבְיָה מֵרֹאשׁ פַּרְעוֹתJohn​

I see only one hand at Deuteronomy 32:40 in harmony with Hebrews 6:13.
God swears by His own self and not another - compare Isaiah 45:23; Romans 14:11​

LightofTruth

אַשְׁכִּיר חִצַּי מִדָּם וְחַרְבִּי תֹּאכַל בָּשָׂר מִדַּם חָלָל וְשִׁבְיָה מֵרֹאשׁ פַּרְעוֹת​

John
Eze 21:8 Again the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
Eze 21:9 Son of man, prophesy, and say, Thus saith the LORD; Say, A sword, a sword is sharpened, and also furbished:
Eze 21:10 It is sharpened to make a sore slaughter; it is furbished that it may glitter: should we then make mirth? it contemneth the rod of my son, as every tree.
Eze 21:11 And he hath given it to be furbished, that it may be handled: this sword is sharpened, and it is furbished, to give it into the hand of the slayer.

John D. Brey

I see only one hand at Deuteronomy 32:40 in harmony with Hebrews 6:13.
God swears by His own self and not another - compare Isaiah 45:23; Romans 14:11​

God is quasi-ambidextrous. Though he writes with his left. And executes judgment with his left. The syzygy mentioned in the title of the thread regards the fact that understood in the context of the great Jewish sages of a more mystical bent, God's right hand (the one lifted and given everlasting life in Deuteronomy 32:40) is saying, after he says he has acquired everlasting life, that he then takes the left hand of God under his control, the judging hand of God, to slay the enemies he once saved (if I might paraphrase Ozzy Osborne's Iron Man):

For I lift my hand to heaven, and it says, "I live forever. If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me. I will make my arrows drunk with blood, and my sword shall devour flesh."​

John

LightofTruth

2Sa 24:14 And David said unto Gad, I am in a great strait: let us fall now into the hand of the LORD; for his mercies are great: and let me not fall into the hand of man.
2Sa 24:15 So the LORD sent a pestilence upon Israel from the morning even to the time appointed: and there died of the people from Dan even to Beersheba seventy thousand men.
2Sa 24:16 And when the angel stretched out his hand upon Jerusalem to destroy it, the LORD repented him of the evil, and said to the angel that destroyed the people, It is enough: stay now thine hand. And the angel of the LORD was by the threshingplace of Araunah the Jebusite.
2Sa 24:17 And David spake unto the LORD when he saw the angel that smote the people, and said, Lo, I have sinned, and I have done wickedly: but these sheep, what have they done? let thine hand, I pray thee, be against me, and against my father's house.

John D. Brey

Eze 21:8 Again the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
Eze 21:9 Son of man, prophesy, and say, Thus saith the LORD; Say, A sword, a sword is sharpened, and also furbished:
Eze 21:10 It is sharpened to make a sore slaughter; it is furbished that it may glitter: should we then make mirth? it contemneth the rod of my son, as every tree.
Eze 21:11 And he hath given it to be furbished, that it may be handled: this sword is sharpened, and it is furbished, to give it into the hand of the slayer.

In Jewish kabbalah, God's left hand (gevurah) executes judgment. His right hand is grace, hesed. What Ezekiel, and Deuteronomy are revealing, is that after God's right hand secures salvation, and is lifted out of the grave with the victorious proclamation, "Now I live forever," that hand, the right hand, secures the left hand, the hand of judgment not grace, and executes the people he once saved.

In the Tanakh God has a sinister sinistrality. He's totally left handed. Which left grace out of the Tanakh for the most part. Which isn't right (so to say).

So Deuteronomy 32:40-42 is revealing a hidden secret: God is going to become ambidextrous; which is to say he will then have two hands and two covenants and two testaments. It's the latter, the right, that was first, though hidden. When it's revealed, the right, grace, hesed, which never let the left know what it was doing when it was securing salvation, will grasp the left, execute judgment, and then, quite possibly amputate it (Exodus 23:20-23 properly exegeted from the Hebrew).

John

John D. Brey

2Sa 24:14 And David said unto Gad, I am in a great strait: let us fall now into the hand of the LORD; for his mercies are great: and let me not fall into the hand of man.
2Sa 24:15 So the LORD sent a pestilence upon Israel from the morning even to the time appointed: and there died of the people from Dan even to Beersheba seventy thousand men.
2Sa 24:16 And when the angel stretched out his hand upon Jerusalem to destroy it, the LORD repented him of the evil, and said to the angel that destroyed the people, It is enough: stay now thine hand. And the angel of the LORD was by the threshingplace of Araunah the Jebusite.
2Sa 24:17 And David spake unto the LORD when he saw the angel that smote the people, and said, Lo, I have sinned, and I have done wickedly: but these sheep, what have they done? let thine hand, I pray thee, be against me, and against my father's house.

The Tanakh left the right hand out much of the time. The angel of the Lord is the left hand of God. God speaks of his (the angel's) single-minded determination to execute the dictates of the Law, and thus all who fall short of it, when he warned Moses of him when he stationed him [the angel] at the point during Israel's march to the holy land.

He [God's left hand] was amputated on the cross. I'm not supposed to say that. But the terminator ain't what he was in the Tanakh. Though I shant take his threats lightly, nor take up an offensive stance against him, until Christ returns to finish off what was made inevitable at the cross.

John

Last edited:

John D. Brey

In context it's pretty clear that throughout the Tanakh God has two hands that are treated anthropomorphically. When his right hand is raised to heaven (as all righteous flesh raised from the grave rises to heaven) it's clear that it's the anthropomorphism of his hand that says "I live forever." Very little knowledge of scripture and sound exegesis is required to understand this truism.

Unfortunately for Jewish orthodoxy, treating the text here faithfully leads to another truism concerning the nature of proper exegesis and interpretation. Hebrew root words, usually three consonants, function different than most other written words. Almost every three-consonant word in biblical Hebrew has an incredible interpretive flexibility that those coming to the Hebrew from another script, or language, find difficult to fathom. Which lends itself to the Masoretic interpreter's passing off their traditional interpretation as though it's far more set in stone, so to say, than it actually is.

Once we accept the legitimate interpretation of the passage above, i.e., that God's anthropomorphized hand is revealing that when it's lifted (from the grave) to rise to heaven, it (now) lives forever, we have cause to use that correction as the contextual authority to retroactively re-evaluate, and re-interpret, the verse that comes before it.

Without distorting the legitimate flexibility of the Hebrew script, words, verse 39 of Deuteronomy 32 gives us the reason why the right hand of God needs to be raised (from the grave) and why it's being raised to heaven (where all righteous flesh is raised), and why ---now---none can escape its grasp:

I will die, and I will live [again]; I'm wounded [Isaiah 53:10], and I will be healed [Isaiah 53:11]. But none can be delivered out of my hand [now]. For God lifted [me], his right hand [from the grave] to heaven above, so that I can proclaim I live forever.

Deuteronomy 32:39-40.​

John

Last edited:

Yahcubs777

In context it's pretty clear that throughout the Tanakh God has two hands that are treated anthropomorphically. When his right hand is raised to heaven (as all righteous flesh raised from the grave rise to heaven) it's clear that it's the anthropomorphism of his hand that says "I live forever." Very little knowledge of scripture and sound exegesis is required to understand this truism.

Unfortunately for Jewish orthodoxy, treating the text here faithfully leads to another truism concerning the nature of proper exegesis and interpretation. Hebrew root words, usually three consonants, function different than most other written words. Almost every three-consonant word in biblical Hebrew has an incredible interpretive flexibility that those coming to the Hebrew from another script, or language, find difficult to fathom. Which lends itself to the Masoretic interpreter's passing off their traditional interpretation as though it's far more set in stone, so to say, than it actually is.

Once we accept the legitimate interpretation of the passage above, i.e., that God's anthropomorphized hand is revealing that when it's lifted (from the grave) to rise to heaven, it (now) lives forever, we have cause to use that correction as the contextual authority to retroactively re-evaluate, and re-interpret, the verse that comes before it.

Without distorting the legitimate flexibility of the Hebrew script, words, verse 39 of Deuteronomy 32 gives us the reason why the right hand of God needs to be raised (from the grave) and why it's being raised to heaven (where all righteous flesh is raised), and why ---now---none can escape its grasp:

I will die, and I will live [again]; I'm wounded [Isaiah 53:10], and I will be healed [Isaiah 53:11]. But none can be delivered out of my hand [now]. For God lifted [me], his right hand [from the grave] to heaven above, so that I can proclaim I live forever.

John

The Left Hand is pointing to the body, which is bound by the laws of the earth. The Right hand is pointing to the Spirit, which is above the laws of this earth. There are the children of resurrection, which were sent by the command of the left hand, and there are children of life, which were sent by the command of the right hand. It is why for instance, Jesus His Pre-Eminence said:

25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

Notice, HE said resurrection first, and the life second? The resurrection is the left, while the life is the right.

That is also why the Law, Moses, came before the Prophet. And if you open the bible to read, the Law is on the left, the Prophets on the right. That is exactly what the two tablet stone (two stones but actually called one stone) was pointing to; the Law and the Prophets.

The Law and the Prophets is the seat of justice; the constitution of the kingdom in the earth. It is by tatking the Word of the Law, and the Law of the Prophets, that one can have the Word of GOD.

So why resurrection on the left? Because the body that dies is what is resurrected, and that is what the left is pointing to, the body. That is why it was the left side of Jesus His Pre-Eminence that was pierced. The Life however, on the right. And that life is not life after resurrection; but living without dying at all.

John D. Brey

The Law and the Prophets is the seat of justice; the constitution of the kingdom in the earth. It is by tatking the Word of the Law, and the Law of the Prophets, that one can have the Word of GOD.

It seems like the Law is the schoolmaster (paidagogos) while the prophets prophesy concerning the imminent graduation of the sons of God? The graduates wave goodbye to the paidagogos.

In sarcasm for the times he whacked their knuckles with a ruler the graduates traditionally, sarcastically, but in good humor, throw the schoolmaster thirty kesita as they leave the domain where he rules mostly unquestioned.

John

Last edited:

John D. Brey

So why resurrection on the left? Because the body that dies is what is resurrected, and that is what the left is pointing to, the body. That is why it was the left side of Jesus His Pre-Eminence that was pierced. The Life however, on the right. And that life is not life after resurrection; but living without dying at all.

I would say the Law is powerless to resurrect. Its power is to convict, and to execute once convicted. It has no provision for mercy (Exodus 23:21).

John

Yahcubs777

It seems like "resurrection" and "life" are somewhat synonymous? Isn't one the requirement for the other?

John

No sir. The Life, is transfiguration in life. Let me throw some more light on what i mean. Enoch and Elijah both transfigured and entered heaven alive. When Jesus His Pre-Eminence resurrected Lazarus, did he transfigure? No. That is showing that resurrection is not the path to life, but that transfiguration is, revealed in the Word: Quickened by the Spirit. That there is the path to life, which is tranfiguration in life and Enoch and Elijah did that and would then have access into Heaven, as they did. And only few found it. While those that died, and were resurrected, and then quickened (which is transfiguration), are then able to enter into heaven after that process.

Death was called the enemy. How can death lead you to life? Resurrection is not a reward; its a solution to the problem. That is why as its written in Revelation 20, all will be resurrected unto judgement at the second resurrection that were not resurrected at the first resurrection. And some unto life, others unto damnation. Therefore, no one who died is left not resurrected. So what is the path to life? Transfiguation.

Thus, it has been the message since the fall of Man, that you can live and not die, and Enoch proved it, and Elijah proved it, and no one else has proved it since then.

Last edited:

Yahcubs777

It seems like the Law is the schoolmaster (paidagogos) while the prophets prophesy concerning the imminent graduation of the sons of God? The graduates wave goodbye to the paidagogos.

John

The Law is our school master, the Prophets dispense Revelations from GOD which are higher than the Law can give. That is to say, The Great Moses was defining the law. The Prophets defined by Elijah. The Law which is the body, is bound by the laws of this earth. The Spirit, which is the Prophet, is the husband of the body, the church. Thus, the church is supposed to be led by the Prophet. And the Law is who will lead them to the Prophet. Thus as Moses said:

A Prophet shall the LORD your GOD raise up, like unto me, from the brethren, to him shall ye hear all that he speaks. (summarised) This was speaking of Elijah who they rejected.

18 I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.

19 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him.

20 But the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die.

21 And if thou say in thine heart, How shall we know the word which the Lord hath not spoken?

22 When a prophet speaketh in the name of the Lord, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the Lord hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.

Then look again in the life of John the Baptist. He started talking about another that will come after him. The same as Moses.
Then in Acts 3:19-23, Apostle Peter said the same thing.

Thus, the Law, is the school master that prepares the people for the Prophet. Why? Because Revelations need to come at a height that we can understand first before we can understand the higher that the Prophet brings. That is why Jesus His Pre-Eminence who spoke in parables expected that those who followed HIM would understand HIM. But to the others it was not given, so it was coded. Thus, if the 12 Apostles were schooled by John the Baptist, they should have been prepared for Jesus His Pre-Eminence height of Revelations. But they were not ready.

Yahcubs777

I would say the Law is powerless to resurrect. Its power is to convict, and to execute once convicted. It has no provision for mercy (Exodus 23:21).

John

The law, simply means the body. Because the body is what is subject to the Law. The Spirit is above the Law. That is why King David at a time, ate what the law said he shouldn't eat, but they didn't understand that King David is above it. How can I explain this better. The law, is what must be abided by. The Law is not something that can be broken. See how the 10 commandments can be broken? Yet the Laws of gravity cannot be broken. There are the laws of this earth, and the body which is earthy is subject to them. While the Spirit operates by a higher law. An example hearkening back to the X commandments is: Thou shalt not kill. The Law of the Spirit is: Thou shalt not age... Because the Spirit cannot age. This is an example of a higher law. The Spirit cannot shed blood, nor fall sick and die, it is impossible. Thus, the Spirit is not bound by the laws of this earth.

So the Left hand, was pointing to the Law. The Right hand was pointing to the Prophet.

John D. Brey

אֲנִי אָמִית וַאֲחַיֶּה​

The Hebrew word for "death" and or "die," is מות. Context determines whether the word is "death" or "die." The prefix alef, א, implies a future event "I will," die, or "I will" live [again].

Context and tradition are more important in Hebrew than in any other script or language. Interpretation of Hebrew requires a broad contextual presupposition/tradition that feeds back into the text. The traditional Jewish reading is not set in stone. It's merely what the text must be saying if Jewish tradition is the singular, or most complete, presupposition brought to bear on text. It's not. It's more like the first step required to get things going.

The text is a living thing that mustn't be caged, or nailed down with a hammer and pointy addendum. The text wants to move forward. It wants to live. It wants to live again; even after it's been nailed down by the Masoretes pointy addendum. And so it shall.

John

John D. Brey

18 I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.

19 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him.

20 But the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die.

21 And if thou say in thine heart, How shall we know the word which the Lord hath not spoken?

22 When a prophet speaketh in the name of the Lord, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the Lord hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.

There's an important mystery in the text you quoted above. Moses speaks of a future prophet whom the people of Israel must listen to and obey. But Moses tells them not to obey false prophets. So they ask Moses how they can know which prophet to obey, and which to ignore since the prophet is revealing secrets unknown to them? If the secret is unknown to them, how can they know if it's false or true.

This same problem is reflected in the fact that God gives Israel "decrees" חקים that they're commanded to obey through blind faith (not knowing why they're doing it) until the prophet Messiah comes at which time he will tell them what it meant, and why they were doing it all those years.

The same mystery, or problem, affects Israel's ability to know a true prophet, as affects their ability to know Messiah by the fact that he will decipher the divine decrees given by God, vis-à-vis, how will Israel know the prophet is Messiah if the determining factor is Messiah will be the one who tells the meaning of the divine decrees, when Israel doesn't know the meaning of the divine decrees, which is required to know if it's a false Messiah giving false meaning to the decrees?

It's a logical conundrum.

But it gets worse. Jesus presents himself as the prophet Moses prophesied, and Messiah too. Jesus speaks prophetic utterance that Israel must listen to and obey (ala Moses commandment), and he reveals the meaning of the divine decrees given by Moses.

And yet Moses says that the test of this coming prophet, like the test of Messiah, is that he mustn't die. If he dies, his prophesies are lies.

Jesus dies. So apparently his prophesies, and his Messianic claims, die with him. . . . In Moses' parlance, case closed when the casket closes.

John

Last edited:

Yahcubs777

There's an important mystery in the text you quoted above. Moses speaks of a future prophet whom the people of Israel must listen to and obey. But Moses tells them not to obey false prophets. So they ask Moses how they can know which prophet to obey, and which to ignore since the prophet is revealing secrets unknown to them? If the secret is unknown to them, how can they know if it's false or true.

This same problem is reflected in the fact that God gives Israel "decrees" חקים that they're commanded to obey through blind faith (not knowing why they're doing it) until the prophet Messiah comes at which time he will tell them what it meant, and why they were doing it all those years.

The same mystery, or problem, affects Israel's ability to know a true prophet, as affects their ability to know Messiah when he deciphers the divine decrees given by God, Vis-à-vis, how will Israel know the prophet is Messiah if the determining factor is Messiah will be the one who tells the meaning of the divine decrees, when Israel doesn't know the meaning of the divine decrees which is required to know if it's a false Messiah giving false meaning to the decrees?

It's a logical conundrum.

But it gets worse. Jesus presents himself as the prophet Moses prophesied, and Messiah too. Jesus speaks prophetic utterance that Israel must listen to and obey (ala Moses commandment), and he reveals the meaning of the divine decrees given by Moses.

And yet Moses says that the test of this coming prophet, like the test of Messiah, is that he mustn't die. If he dies, his prophesies are lies.

Jesus dies. So apparently his prophesies, and his Messianic claims, die with him.

John

No because it was speaking of Elijah. That is why the people were reminded in Malachi, and also why John the Baptist who is an Elijah said he is not that Elijah. Then also why the people surmised that Jesus His Pre-Eminence is that Elijah, or Jeremiah, but even HE said: When he the Spirit of truth is come, he shall lead you into all truth. Then in Acts 3:19-23, Apostle Peter speaks of the one that will come. Then in revelation 10:7, we find out its the 7th Angel of the Church... Deuteronomy 18 Malachi 4:4-6 Mark 8 John 16:12-15 Acts 3:19-23 Revelation 10:7 Revelation 18:4

The issue has been that the church do not think there is another to come. If they did, they would have been waiting for him.

Watch therefore, for ye do not know what hour the Lord dost come. This was a warning.

But HE told us the hour in HIS parables; the 11th hour. Then look at how the Angels were having a discussion and one asked: How long must the sanctruary be trodden underfoot? And the answer came: 2300 days. But this was coded. Look at "called at the 11th hour, and 23:00....!

Then also look at how the rib of Adam was taken to couple the body for Mother Eve. That leaves 23 ribs in his body. Also look at how 1 of the 12 Apostles was taken, Enoch, revealed further in the story of Joseph, and again in the life of Judas Iscariot and finally again in the life of John the Beloved, the one that was rumoured that he would not die.

Last edited:

John D. Brey

No because it was speaking of Elijah. That is why the people were reminded in Malachi, and also why John the Baptist who is an Elijah said he is not that Elijah. Then also why the people surmised that Jesus His Pre-Eminence is that Elijah, or Jeremiah, but even HE said: When he the Spirit of truth is come, he shall lead you into all truth. Then in Acts 3:19-23, Apostle Peter speaks of the one that will come. Then in revelation 10:7, we find out its the 7th Angel of the Church... Deuteronomy 18 Malachi 4:4-6 Mark 8 John 16:12-15 Acts 3:19-23 Revelation 10:7 Revelation 18:4

The issue has been that the church do not thuink there is another to come. If they did, they would have been waiting for him.

Watch therefore, for ye do not know what hour the Lord dost come. This was a warning.

I disagree that the text is speaking of Elijah. Elijah is a herald of the appearing of Messiah. John the Baptist was transformed into Elijah after the resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth. Prior to that, he would have been a false herald of Messiah. That's what his strange response was when asked if he was Elijah.

In my opinion, the prophet Moses prophesies coming is Messiah, whom you refer to as the Preeminence.

John