• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Detransition - a movement?

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
By chance, I was proposed some Youtube videos about "de-transition", which is not completing the process of transition to the opposite and "returning" to the original gender. What do you think of it? Do you think it may be harmful to the interests of transsexual individuals?

I post a random video I came across, the testimony of an individual born as a girl who decided to give up FTM transition.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I see it as a personal decision. And I think the rights of transexuals is promoted by those making their own choices, rather than having the choice forced upon them.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
By chance, I was proposed some Youtube videos about "de-transition", which is not completing the process of transition to the opposite and "returning" to the original gender. What do you think of it? Do you think it may be harmful to the interests of transsexual individuals?

I post a random video I came across, the testimony of an individual born as a girl who decided to give up FTM transition.
I'd have to track down the source again, but I saw sone stats recently on this.

The percentage of people who regret transitioning is exceedingly low, and it's almost entirely made up of two groups:

- people who realized afterward that they were gender non-conforming, not trans.

- people who found the anti-trans bigotry and harassment to be too much to take once they couldn't "pass" as cis.

The same article pointed out that if the anti-trans community were really worried about people entering into lifelong commitments they regret, what they really should be focusing on is opposite-sex marriage, which has a half to a third of the people who enter into it expressing regret about that decision by getting divorced.

Orbit

I'm a planet
I know someone who "turned back" on the M to F transition. It was very hard for them, and involved a painful breast reduction surgery. I think it's an individual choice, and trans people shouldn't be delegitimated because they turned back. The reasons will be as varied as the individuals' lives are. No, it's not a "movement" in any sense of the word.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I'm a trans man and I don't care what others do. Just because they made a mistake doesn't mean we don't exist or that it's somehow our fault. I don't like the ones who get an attitude towards all trans people, join up with TERFs and treat us like we're all brainwashed and betraying women. Then they're a problem. Otherwise, I don't care. I wish them well and healthy and hope they find themselves.

Last edited: