• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Determinism and Moral Nihilism

EverChanging

A question for determinists: are you also a moral nihilist? Do you see a connection between the two concepts? How are they related?

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
Hello. Can you explain exactly what you mean by determinists?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
A question for determinists: are you also a moral nihilist? Do you see a connection between the two concepts? How are they related?

I'm somewhat of a moral nihilist but not a determinist, so whatever connection exists between the two I'd find interesting.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'm curious. Why would there be a connection between determinism and moral nihilism -- outside the heated fantasies of fundamentalist preachers? How can one imagine that determinism leads to moral nihilism -- especially necessarily leads to moral nihilism? And if a belief in determinism necessarily leads to moral nihilism, is that not itself a deterministic position?

Skwim

Veteran Member
I'm a determinist, but not a moral nihilist.

I'm curious. Why would there be a connection between determinism and moral nihilism -- outside the heated fantasies of fundamentalist preachers? How can one imagine that determinism leads to moral nihilism -- especially necessarily leads to moral nihilism? And if a belief in determinism necessarily leads to moral nihilism, is that not itself a deterministic position?
I assume it would be because in light of the determinist view that everything that happens has to happen the way it does, there's no room for culpability, and lacking individual culpability morality becomes a moot principle. However in the determinist view he can't help what he thinks, so if for whatever reason he is caused to believe there is right and wrong, and even forms a moral code of conduct around it, that is how he will judge conduct: as though people are actually culpable. He would be forced to ignore his belief in favor of adopting a principle that flies in the face of it, which I can only assume would be brought on by some kind of survival determinant coming into play. :shrug:

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

If by "determinist" we mean that there is no such thing as an uncaused event, then I certainly am one.
If by "moral nihilist" we mean that labeling things as "right" or "wrong" is a human construct, then I'm one of those too.

All things are interconnected and interrelated, so these two things are no exception. They arise from very different roots, though. Determinism arose in me through the study of the sciences, where it becomes very clear there is no such thing as a situation that lacks variables or causes that constrain and define outcomes. Concluding morality was a human construct was a simple matter of observing disagreements and recognizing that animals simply do what they do, human or otherwise.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I believe that behavior reflects the current, rather than prior, state of the universe. I do not believe moral statements are truth bearers: they are prescriptive, rather than descriptive. To declare something "good" is to assert satisfaction, e.g. with what it is or how it is; to declare something "wrong," or "bad," is to assert dissatisfaction, e.g. how it otherwise should be.

I don't think there is a direct connection between determinism and moral nihilism, but then I don't understand the latter.

Last edited:

Sanzbir

Moral Nihilism disproves itself.

It is the assertion that a person should reject morals.

Asserting that a person should behave in a certain way is a moral.

So "a person should reject morals" is a moral.

Thus Moral Nihilism includes within its definition a call to reject itself. :p

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I believe in a foundation natural determinism for our physical existence. No, there is no correlation with moral Nihilism.

In fact I consider the proposal of moral nihilism is myth and not reality in any form. than hypothetical intellectual philosophical considerations there is no reason to believe moral nihilism.